PDA

View Full Version : Measuring things a little differently:

Brevity
12-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Ok I got to say I did not even notice this, my wife did and when she called me on it I really started thinking about it. Here is what she called me on. She said we should go get me a new outfit for graduation and in my all to typical fashion I said something like “well that will cost X number of dollars and well that’s worth about so many games and or new gaming stuff.” She got mad and pointed out how I am always measuring things by how many games I can buy if I didn’t do this or that. I laughed and caved in for some new clothes. I talk to my friends around here and they are all the same way. Hell I am so bad that I got to got this bad tooth of mine that needs to be fixed and the other day when I should have done it, I didn’t. Instead I weighted getting it fixed with getting Ninja Gaiden, Dues Ex, and some other games this month. And even if I had all the money I wanted I think parts of me would still think of how buying or doing such and such stacked against how many games/gaming things I could get.

Now to talk about the real kicker, I also measure TIME. I am constantly thinking thoughts like I could help out around here by washing the dishes which takes about 30 min or so, and well that is about X number of games of _____ or X amount of time playing say FFXI. My mom invites me over for dinner, and now EVEN free food and the time it will take to chitchat and all gets gauged against game time. Hell I have even moved my kids bed times forward a little to allot me some more ALL ME game time. The real hurt has come on those times when I measure how long it will take on this or that school work compared to such and such game. In fact the only thing I don’t measure it by and CANT is wife time, I think you know why. <Insert wink>

So how is it for you?
:p

J Dub
12-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Well I was worried about you for a second, Brev. But you redeemed yourself when you said you always make time for wife time. At least you have your priorities straight. :D

RagunCajun
12-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Sadly i been doing this for a long time. I see nothing wrong with it. Like he said, atleast ya but ya family first.

Salmonaitor
12-04-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think you've redeemed youself at all. I'm not sure what you do (sounds like you're a teacher), but I'm wondering if this could develop further into a real problem for you and your family. I'm really not trying to attack you, but I think the extra time spent with your children is more important than gaming. Think about how you felt about your Dad growing up, you looked up to him I bet, and I'll also bet that no matter how good or bad you're relationship was, you always wished it could be closer.
I'm not a bleeding heart or anything, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone their fun, but next time it's getting close to their bedtime, take a little extra time to play, or read, or talk to them. The games will always be there. Just my opinion, I'm certainly not judging or implying that you're neglectful.

Brevity
12-04-2003, 12:44 PM
:D I played that part out a bit. I do not suffer at all from not spending as much time as I need to with my wife and kids. I said bed time,,,,,,,thats nothing. I spend lots of time in the day, but I do still think in the back of my mind hey I could be playing such and such game instead of Ol Mcdonalds farm fun game or something. Your right though and noone who knows me and my fam or not even members of my fam, say the kids think I am crapping out on them for to much game time. But that does not mean I dont measure things out the way I said, sometimes. I know that kids spell love T. I. M. E. And you are flat out wrong about your impressions of me, but it did not hurt the message, I get the idea and that was nice of you to remind ppl of the real important things in the world. However, my thread was more of a light hearted post. Not to be taken out of context of where its placed::::::and XBOX fan site. :D

Salmonaitor
12-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Hey, dude, I hope there's no hard feelings. I wasn't trying to rag on you or anything. I just know a few people who have let extracurricular activities spoil their relationships and I'd hate to see that happen to anyone. I'm sure you're a great Husband and Father, I mean you PLAY, which means you're young at heart, which means I'm sure you have more fun with your kids than the average Dad does.

OC Noob
12-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Rofl, thats pretty funny. Thats how I measure extra money and I'll bet a bunch of us do.

As far as time goes, I'm more addicted to a handful of stinkin internet forums so game time isn't as big of a concern as having the games in hand. Some times I'm content just to own. I must be mildly retarded, lol.

Brevity
12-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Ha ha no problem man. Your heart was in the right place with your post. I am not only young at heart I am young in body (only 26) and I am JUST NOW graduating with a Masters.

dances with broom sticks
12-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
Ha ha no problem man. Your heart was in the right place with your post. I am not only young at heart I am young in body (only 26) and I am JUST NOW graduating with a Masters.

face it, you have issues.... If i were you I would have myself commited :D

Just playin, I do the same thing, but I also plan what to do in games, before if Im doing something else. Like I will think about a trade for a sports game, or how to beat a boss in an rpg etc, while at school.
:D

Brevity
12-04-2003, 01:36 PM
So with you on that. I am sitting here now thinking of game things. SINCE I am here with nothing to do. God I wish I did not forget my GBA today. I cant believe they even both having me come in and sit here doing nothing. You see most days I tell them I am doing nothing today I will tomorrow so I am staying at home. And since I get paid anyway I stay at home and do homework or goof off. But today I got to talk to a bunch of noob college kids about how the hell to write a paper and about what I will be asking them on their finnals. I really make them pay for my bad days. hehe

treyz3
12-04-2003, 01:38 PM
I know what you mean. I usually get up early on weekends so I can get some gaming in before my wife and son get up.

Brevity
12-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by treyz3
I know what you mean. I usually get up early on weekends so I can get some gaming in before my wife and son get up.
Haha I do that too. But then I also through together a little chow for the kids and let my wife sleep however long she feels, while I PLAY ON. Oh I got this redeeming the time thing down, its all a large plan to get me the max playing time while not letting my fam down. Also I got to figure the whole school and work thing in.

treyz3
12-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Well, I bet you're like me in that you can't wait for the day when the kids can game WITH you.

I can't wait to frag my son. :D

monster1234
12-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Dude, that measuring thing is really weird.

Brevity
12-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by treyz3
Well, I bet you're like me in that you can't wait for the day when the kids can game WITH you.

I can't wait to frag my son. :D
Haha you know when my lil girl was 3 or 4 I gave her my old N64, which did nothing but get beat up but oh well. Now she is 6 and really sharp so I got her trying to figure out Mario Party 5, the current family game, and the only game my wife freaking loves. We spend untold time playing that together with friends. I also got my son age 2 playing around with old trollers and stuff he thinks he is playing a game while holding it and watching me play. hehe But soon I will have two worthy players to contend with. Plus through in the ol wife on games that she likes and man thats some 2v2 right there, I cant wait.

MikeMan91389
12-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Brevity

Haha you know when my lil girl was 3 or 4 I gave her my old N64, which did nothing but get beat up but oh well. Now she is 6 and really sharp so I got her trying to figure out Mario Party 5, the current family game, and the only game my wife freaking loves. We spend untold time playing that together with friends. I also got my son age 2 playing around with old trollers and stuff he thinks he is playing a game while holding it and watching me play. hehe But soon I will have two worthy players to contend with. Plus through in the ol wife on games that she likes and man thats some 2v2 right there, I cant wait.

haha.. swweeeet... perfect set up!... cant wait till then!... but by then, my living room will be a 3D game... WHOA SWEET!

xbox genius
12-04-2003, 07:19 PM
i do the same thing, i compare money with games, like buying something that we dont need with price tag of 200 dollars, yea i say i coulda got some gaming stuff. but i say it as a joke. not really meant it

Kronicle
12-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Seeing how im 16 and don't have children or anything...I like to play with my brother whenever I can. He totally sucks at videogames and is more of a sports player, but I enjoy playing with him and spending time with him. My dad will even come in and play some a bit of Nascar everynow and then and I think that's kind of cool. I do need to start spending more time with the family though, and that's why there are holidays. :D You know, when your parents (or spouse) MAKES you come along, then you feel good about yourself later on. :)

Hero
12-05-2003, 02:15 AM
lol..i do the same thing with money. i always compare a big buy versus games.

last time i wanted new shoes. which are ruffly fifty dollars. vs getting return of castle wolfenstein. luckily i went with the shoes ;)