PDA

View Full Version : Why does Microsofts XBox have problems selling games?

SmileBit
12-04-2003, 08:07 PM
According to the best source of total game sales Microsoft is having a very hard time getting games to sell well on its system.

www.npd.com

XBox has 4 million sellers...

Halo
DOA 3
PGR1
Splinter Cell

Compare this to ther million sellers on Nintendos GameCube and youll see reason for concern.

Mario Party 4
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Star Wars RS2
Sonic Adventure 2
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil
Luigi Mansion
Metroid Prime
Zelda Wind Waker
Star Fox Adventures
Mario Kart Double Dash!!(Mine as well put this up)

SmileBit
12-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Note: This is NOT a Cube vs XBox debate. I merely listed the Cube million sellers to show how badly games are selling on the XBox. What can MS do to change this? Is there anything they can do? Developers have started to show concern.

Chumley
12-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Well xbox doesn't have a very strong japanese market... and I figure most of these supposive gamecube million sellers got a lot of their support from japan...

Cryogenic Pyro
12-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Chumley
Well xbox doesn't have a very strong japanese market... and I figure most of these supposive gamecube million sellers got a lot of their support from japan...
Yep, I'd say that's probably the exact reason.

monster1234
12-04-2003, 08:34 PM
This is very wrong about Microsoft not being able to sell games for its system. The Xbox has the highest attach rate (games owned per system) by far. You can check that out every month.

crimson tide
12-04-2003, 08:35 PM
plus a lot of x box games dont get advertised while most of the games you listed for nintendo are first and second party so they get advertised a lot. and nintendo fans buy a lot of first and second party games anyway.

SmileBit
12-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by monster1234
This is very wrong about Microsoft not being able to sell games for its system. The Xbox has the highest attach rate (games owned per system) by far. You can check that out every month.

Do we need any more proof that the average XBot has no idea what to buy? The fact that Panzer Dragoon Orta didnt sell over 200,000 units speaks VOLUMES about the inteligence of the average XBox owner.

Hitman101
12-04-2003, 08:38 PM
If the xbox wants to get alot of Million sellers then I guess they should advertise some more. I am starting to see some xbox commercials on tv's I guess thats a start. The next thing they need is sponcership. There are many many parties and award shows sponcered by sony and Playstation 2.

rothgar
12-04-2003, 08:40 PM
another reason i can possibly think of is because the age group the games are geard towards.

for instance im sure most of the ppl here got more games when they were a kid than they get now. all the parents want to satisfy their kids. where as i know i have to buy all the games i own and i dont have the money for it with other payments to take care of. so i have to be very selective of the games i do buy.

also for the mature games on GC i could see parents (dads) wanting to play a game and not forking over the $200 for an xb and rather just paying $50 for res evil on their kids system.

thats how i could see this very possible

Voodoo_Vince
12-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Gamecube is for Kids, there I said it , they have a Few good Adult games the best bieng Eternal Darkness which was a BAd seller due to the fact the game cube is like I said for KIDS and ED didn't have the name recongniton of RE , Xbox is geared to the 18-34 demographic the largest spending demographic , where as gamecube is geared to kids , yes another strong demographic but soley supportive of an Older generation ,

So looking at the Demographic that Xbox is geared to I say it is doing great and considering its the New Box on the block and Sony bieng almost 10 year's in and nintendo going on 20 Xbox is doing fantastic

your not old enough to remeber 1995 when Playstation came out , I was once a Nintendo fanboy like you and I said allot of crap about playstation , but gee Sony smoked them all, it smoked Sega and Nintendo because it was a huge corporate power, and XBox has the largest and richest corporate power on earth behind it, for only being two years old , I think the game sales are great ,

Do we need any more proof that the average XBot has no idea what to buy? The fact that Panzer Dragoon Orta didnt sell over 200,000 units speaks VOLUMES about the inteligence of the average XBox owner.

The fact Eternal Darkness sold like crap Speaks VOLUMES about the average Gamecube owner,

Oh and I have decided to block you, all your posts are just flame traps , I have way more crap to do than read negative posts from some spoiled teeager , that doesn't get enough attention from Mommy

blonks
12-04-2003, 10:04 PM
not just 4 million, halo has sold 2 million or more...and plus those are system exclusive.....MKDA sold 2 million on the box

shawns20
12-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Halo has sold over 3 million copies and Halo 2 will sell a buttload of XBoxes. I've converted all of my friends to XBox, now... if I can get them to buy games, instead of borrowing them from me.

:watchout:

X-Fan
12-04-2003, 10:55 PM
how can u verify that those are the only four million sellers?all u posted was a link to npd.com nothing specific so unless u provise us with more proof liek an article or something where it sez that xbox ahs only 4 games that sold million copies i cant believe u.its liek saying:

Us Forces Nab Saddam Hussein
cnn.com (http://cnn.com)

xbox genius
12-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Chumley

yep i was bouts to say this too.... it dont matter, xbox have other quality games that sell 500k near to 1 million. and i bet u we have LOADS of those games so when it all adds up, you know what i mean.

StudioAlex
12-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Simply put, there are alot more games worth owning on the Xbox. Other than Sega, no third parties make a lot of great games for the cube exclusively. Let's see, Viewtiful Joe... can't think of anything else that isn't published by nintendo or sega. And don't use Panzer as an example, it never sold a million copies on the Saturn.

And quit talking about average user's intelligences, please! GC fans must not be very smart either, neither Monkey Ball is a million seller nor is Skies of Arcadia anywhere on that list.

DocHoliday78
12-05-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by SmileBit

Are you trying to start a fight with people on these forums? Show us a source on your "facts". Just to let you know, it is intelligence not inteligence.

memphissheik
12-05-2003, 04:44 AM
all of you seem to be missing one key factor...

Mario Party 4
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Star Wars RS2
Sonic Adventure 2
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil
Luigi Mansion
Metroid Prime
Zelda Wind Waker
Star Fox Adventures
Mario Kart Double Dash!!(Mine as well put this up)

how many of those games would you consider as having a marquee or well recognized character????

think about it..
people in the end, tend to buy what they know..

and right now...
MS is not winning the exclusive battle nintendo has alot of dusty games on it's shelf...and alot of tricks up its sleeves....that you have to give them credit for.

so not only do they have a foothold with the kiddies, but they can also at any time play the nostalga card..

but in the future..it's gonna come down to which system has which games..

that's why MS was in a mad scramble to find out what sega was gonna do with Sonic

Caesar SYN
12-05-2003, 04:50 AM
Well I think simply it is going to take time to establish a ich in the market.. but look at it this way PS/2 is online enabled for both dialup and highspeed... I mean thats a great seeling point..

and they do have a bunch of online titles.. including some popular ones.. plus lokk at how many more games you can play on other systems..

borka105
12-05-2003, 06:51 AM
how hard is it so sell a million copies of each game when the sytem only has like 10 games to choose from? :D

for instance, right now the xbox has crimson skies, amped 2, top spin, deus x, max payne2, gta: double pack, rainbow six3, counterstrike, project gotham 2.

while the cube has: mario kart, viewtiful joe.

I mean in combined sales, the xbox will sell more games, but in terms of individual sales, Mario Kart may beat out those xbox games because Gamecube owners DON'T HAVE A CHOICE!

-borka105

Brnthngs
12-05-2003, 08:39 AM

Ok, so whats going on with ripping on the intellegence of the average xbox owner. The game cube and PS2 are aimed at an entirely different audience. The are the kiddie games. The children play them because of the pretty colors and easy controls. Xbox is the console aimed at an older audience. That is why Panzer Dragoon didn't sell as well as expected. It's a childs game with neat color schemes and easy controls. It's not for the standard xbox market. I'm not saying it was a bad game, just not a desired game. But who's worried about the xbox market just because it doesn't sell over 1 million copies every game that is released. Honestly, I think you're just an upset guy w/ too much time on your hands. What sources are you quoting anyway SmileBit, I might be more accepting about your arguement if I had some idea where all this pro-cube propaganda was going.

George89
12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
That comes as a real suprise that all of those GC games sold over 4 million copies! It depends also, In North America only, XBOX probably has better game sales that Gamecube, but Gamecube sells in Japan, and XBOX doesnt so....you get the idea.

Spaztic
12-05-2003, 03:20 PM

I thought orta sucks major ass!

FuNkY mOnK
12-05-2003, 05:39 PM
It's to early to tell whats going to happen to Xbox. But with gaming being a 9 Billion dollar industry and Xbox Live doing everything right i dont think MS will dabble.

junkhead
12-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Sorry Smilebit. Once again, here's some truth, facts and logic.

Here's a FACT about Xbox players from http://www.npd.com .

"The average Xbox player spends 8.1 hours a week, the average PlayStation 2 player spends 7.9 hours a week and the average Gamecube player spends 7.1 hours a week. The hours spent per system were even higher among kids, teens and young adults."

I guess that tells us something about the average Gamecube player.

Here's how much the $99 Gamecube price point matters (from the same site):

"The study revealed less than 30 percent of the respondents felt price was a factor towards purchasing a console system in the past 18 months."

Has anyone mentioned these articles? (All from Reuters)

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd. reported its first-ever loss Thursday for a first half, dragged down by slumping sales of its key GameCube consoles and hefty investment losses due to the yen's rise.

Nintendo, known for characters like Mario, Zelda and Metroid, had warned in October of its first interim loss since going public in 1962 as its console struggles against strong rivals in a saturated Japanese market and software sales flag.

In a move to boost GameCube, which faces stiff competition from Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2 and Microsoft Corp.' (MSFT: Research, Estimates)s Xbox, Nintendo cut the console's price by 29 percent in Japan last month.

END OF ARTICLE

But really, how desparate does Nintendo have to be to drop the price to $99 AND inculde one of their best 1st party titles? I mean Xbox includes their best 1st party titles in parts of the world where the Xbox is not selling very well (Japan), but Nintendo is doing that same strategy here in the US!!

Enjoy your Nintendo Smilebit. I'll still be playing my onlie games on the best system ever!! (What's online for Nintendo, three games now?)

Junkhead

FuNkY mOnK
12-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Nintendo is extremely desperate, everyone knows that on-line gaming is the future thats where xbox has the upper hand and come next year this will be second nature to xbox, where as Sony and nintendo will have to play catch up. You think Nintendo has problems now just wait, it's going to take more then a price drop to convince gamers where the action's at.

MikeMan91389
12-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Nintendo is extremely desperate, everyone knows that on-line gaming is the future thats where xbox has the upper hand and come next year this will be second nature to xbox, where as Sony and nintendo will have to play catch up. You think Nintendo has problems now just wait it's going to take more then a price drop to convince gamers where the action's at.

Totallly!!!! Online is the Sh__. And XBOX leads the way... OHYEAH!!!!

SmileBit
12-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389

Totallly!!!! Online is the Sh__. And XBOX leads the way... OHYEAH!!!!

Online is the **** but its still not popular enough for anyone to notice. XBox Live hasnt even sold over a million let alone all the people who dont play it or canceled their subscription.

Online gaming is costing MS tons of money. Nintendo which is obviosly the smarter company knows that online gaming will be big in the near to mid future. Why waste money on it now?

Hey Junkhead,

Thanks for proving the average XBox owner is a loser. Playing over 8 hours a week is pathetic. I guess Cube owners know how to have something called a life.

Yes, thanks for showing me a survey. The real winner comes from sales. Nintendos 99 dollar price point is destroying Microsoft big waste of space.

Oh and all your rueters articles are like 5 months old.

Get with the times man! Nintendo is finally going to kill off 3rd place once and for all.

MasterWeed sucks at RS3

Thebiz
12-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Yeah, nintendo is backing retarded connectivty as opposed to online. One is fun. One is stupid.

Nintendo is the only game company NOT online. Thats pathetic. It took them 2 years to make a game that wasn't phantasy star online to use the network adapter. And the game isn't even officially online.

Nintendo is behind the times. They are not playing it smart. They're playing it cheap at the expense of the gamers.

FuNkY mOnK
12-06-2003, 04:32 PM

Online is the **** but its still not popular enough for anyone to notice. XBox Live hasnt even sold over a million let alone all the people who dont play it or canceled their subscription.

*Halo2 will prove how on-line gaming is going in the right direction mark my words.

Online gaming is costing MS tons of money. Nintendo which is obviosly the smarter company knows that online gaming will be big in the near to mid future. Why waste money on it now?

*Face it Nintendo could not keep up with the funds that MS has. and smarter? How, do you remember the failure their cartridge was while everyone else was using Cd's, even today nintendo restricted the amount of data with that mini disk. and don't forget the 64dd drive Wow what a joke. So who are you going to trust.

Hey Junkhead,

Thanks for proving the average XBox owner is a loser. Playing over 8 hours a week is pathetic. I guess Cube owners know how to have something called a life.

*I think someone made a mistake here and meant 8 hours a day because an hour and a half a day or night is squat sometimes it takes this long to set up my options before going on-line.

Yes, thanks for showing me a survey. The real winner comes from sales. Nintendos 99 dollar price point is destroying Microsoft big waste of space.

*again MS will buy nintendo a few times over MS is new to the market and accomplished more in two years then nintendo in it's years. Like i said Gaming is a 9 Billion dollar a year industry and MS is not known for dabbling in things.

Oh and all your rueters articles are like 5 months old.

*Who gives a sh-it about rueters but you. Halo 2 will prove the pudding.

Get with the times man! Nintendo is finally going to kill off 3rd place once and for all.

*Not if MS buys them out, it's only a matter of time before Nintendo takes the final blow. MS will hang the nintendo trophy right next to Rare and the rest.

MasterWeed sucks at RS3

dd deeznuts
12-06-2003, 04:42 PM
nintindo is for little kids ages 3-7 i hate nintindo so much now look at what they did to zelda they turned him into a freak show they really screwed up big time on that, zelda games were some of the best games ever made i cant believe what they did to him

George89
12-06-2003, 04:45 PM
SmileBit, I am starting to think that you are a MUCH bigger Gamecube fan than XBOX, since you only post negative about XBOX and good about Gamecube...number 1: I am 90% that a lot of those Gamecube games on there HAVE NOT SOLD MORE THAN 1 MILLION COPIES! Mario Kart DD just came out Nov. 17 well, sale figures havent been released for games in November yet! How do you explain that? I highly doubt that it sold over 1 million is 20 days when gamecubes highest selling game for October (Star Wars RS3 just sold a little above 100,000 copies) so if i proved 1 game on that list hasnt sold that many, i could probably do the same for a lot more. and please list the actual LINK not the site name.

tamim
12-06-2003, 04:48 PM
I dont know if anyone mentioned this already or not, but I think mod chips may be a reason. I know atleast 20 people who have chipped xboxes. They never buy real games, but all of them have big piles of burned xbox games which are really really cheap ($12 canadian).

Xbox mod chips are the cheapest ($50 canadian) where PS2 chips are $150 and there are no known chip for game cube.

FuNkY mOnK
12-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by tamim
I dont know if anyone mentioned this already or not, but I think mod chips may be a reason. I know atleast 20 people who have chipped xboxes. They never buy real games, but all of them have big piles of burned xbox games which are really really cheap ($12 canadian).

Xbox mod chips are the cheapest ($50 canadian) where PS2 chips are $150 and there are no known chip for game cube.
Absolutely this as an effect on everything, these A-holes with the stats never look at the full spectrum. Thank god MS as the funds and the gurus to stay alive. Or we would be playing Charlies Angels and mario kart on the Cube Instead of Halo2 or PGR2 on Xbox.

George89
12-06-2003, 04:56 PM
SmileBit, I looked on your forum posts, and have you EVER said anything positive about XBOX? The closest thing I could find was you thought Halo 2 would be the best game, but then you had to call xbox owners stupid and Halo 2 would be the last good game on XBOX.:D

ShaDovV RyDer
12-06-2003, 05:00 PM
ok i really doubt that all those ninty games have alrdy sold over 1 million...maybe one or two like Metroid Prime and Super Smash but no more...i also have to say that i think ur lying about ppl being worried about the games on xbox and the xbox itself...first off yes not many games for the xbox have hit one million sells but most have at leats hit 200,000 and thats pretty freakin good for a system that just hit the console gaming market about 3 years ago...as long as games keep selling xbox will be ok...new games are having commercials on tv and those commercials will be noticed and ppl WILL buy those games...

trust me on this even tho i dont have a link...

if ne gaming ocmpany is going to fail it WILL be nintendo...they r either goin to flop on their next system in 2005 or they will flop on their next one...tho they will be around for about 30 years altogether...xbox will stay longer...pce

SmileBit
12-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by George89
SmileBit, I looked on your forum posts, and have you EVER said anything positive about XBOX? The closest thing I could find was you thought Halo 2 would be the best game, but then you had to call xbox owners stupid and Halo 2 would be the last good game on XBOX.:D

I loved XBox Live and I cant wait until Nintendo gets their act together for their online games... Mario Kart Online....drools...

HellHawk
12-07-2003, 04:40 PM
?