PDA

View Full Version : IGN's Deus Ex 2 H2H: Totally unfair bias towards Xbox!

TegSkywalker
12-05-2003, 01:19 AM
http://insider.ign.com/articles/444/444447p1.html

Ok here we go. According to the review team, they were running on a DUAL 3.0 GHZ Pentium 4 machine with 1 GB of RAM and the most recent top of the line Nvidia card. Final output at 640 resolution: 30 fps

Now the Xbox has only a 733 MHZ CPU, 64 MB of RAM and a GeForce 3 generation card and the review said the frame rate was 30 fps.

Why did the PC win honestly? According to the review, the frames per second between the Xbox and the PC were miminal and that should lean towards the favor in Xbox. Why? It takes not one, but two top of the line processors and all that RAM and that $400 video card to be around par with a $180 video game system!

Xbox should have won for being able to pump out that game with its 2+ year old specs and being able to stay very close to a PC that costs at least $3000.

tsk tsk

SPARTAN VI
12-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Eh, doesn't IGN rate games in comparison to other games on the same platform? :huh: Anyway, you have to keep in mind that a PC can pump out higher resolutions and prettier visuals, but at a high cost...

TegSkywalker
12-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI
Anyway, you have to keep in mind that a PC can pump out higher resolutions and prettier visuals, but at a high cost...

I've known all about that for many many years now. I am just saying that the extra you pay for a computer seems like a waste with the framerate. I do agree that a blazing state of the art PC with a $400 video card can pump out higher quality visuals, but when this game runs unstable at 640x480 resolution (which isn't all that pretty on a computer monitor) then you got issues with your programming team over at ION Storm.

MikeMan91389
12-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker
http://insider.ign.com/articles/444/444447p1.html

Ok here we go. According to the review team, they were running on a DUAL 3.0 GHZ Pentium 4 machine with 1 GB of RAM and the most recent top of the line Nvidia card. Final output at 640 resolution: 30 fps

Now the Xbox has only a 733 MHZ CPU, 64 MB of RAM and a GeForce 3 generation card and the review said the frame rate was 30 fps.

Why did the PC win honestly? According to the review, the frames per second between the Xbox and the PC were miminal and that should lean towards the favor in Xbox. Why? It takes not one, but two top of the line processors and all that RAM and that $400 video card to be around par with a $180 video game system!

Xbox should have won for being able to pump out that game with its 2+ year old specs and being able to stay very close to a PC that costs at least $3000.

tsk tsk

good point... im not really sure y PC would win!

Bakeman
12-05-2003, 02:27 PM
they are wasting their time with the dual cpu's

There is no way that game is going to take advantage of dual cpu's.

I'm having a hard time believing that game is only at 640x480 res and only getting 30fps... Maybe they have FSAA and Aniso turned all the way up and possibly those Nvidia cards suck with those settings on....

thrAsher
12-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Huh. That's pretty strange. I just got the game and while the framerate isn't bothersome, you can tell it's nowhere near as smooth as a lot of the FPSes out for the Xbox. As far as IGN, they can talk all day. I only go to them for screens and news, they seem to be pretty soft on reviewing games, and PC is gonna beat Xbox 9/10 times, sorry to say. While Deus Ex is a fine game, it doesn't really deserve a 9.0 review.

Still a very cool game. I love the ragdoll physics and lighting....the entire atmosphere of the game. Good stuff, good stuff.