PDA

View Full Version : Metal Arms has Nuts of Steel, for sure...

thrAsher
12-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Anybody playing this thing? Wow! What a fun game. I traded in some oldies but baddies for chicken scratch, picked up this and a gift certificate, and have played about 2 hours.

And lo and behold, I am quite surprised at this game. Lack of system link stinks, but the one player game has already got me hooked. Sierra did something right here. You get to try out a little of everything before the game even really gets going. Big spaces, good dialogue, options galore, fluid animations and fiersome firefights, vehicles, a Herbie Han****-ish soundtrack....

Again, wow.

BunnyRabbit
12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
I played the OXM demo and it didnt seem very good in the leat... yech...hmm... Well, I mean Ive been suprised with full version games that I thought the demo sucked...What is so great about it... This is that game with 3 foot robots and weapond that you are tlaking about...Am I correct?

Donnie_B
12-09-2003, 09:58 AM
I saw the commercial for this game last night and it looks good. No sys link, thats no good. But does it have a multiplayer option?
Im curious to know if its worth the purchase.

Do you see long term potential? :watchout:

Brasco

thrAsher
12-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Yes, you can play up to 4 player multiplayer on one screen. I'll tell you right now, the 1 player is actually pretty tough just at the normal setting. Levels are big and detailed, and plenty of enemies to fight. You get a ton of different weapons, and there are secret items to be found, washers to collect ($) to buy things, and the action is fast and frenetic and the sound/animations are awesome. Good sense of humor and some nice cutscenes.

One level I played last night made me think of Halo - I had about 5 or 6 bots w/ me, and we were coming out of this tunnel. On the other end were a dozen or so Mils (the badguys) and one in a hovercraft w/ pincers thingy. I must have played that one over and over a dozen times, it was so fun. You can commandeer vehicles like Halo, and the multiplayer games are customizable (you create profiles just like Halo, also). So, altogether, I think I'll be playing this for quite a while.

A very fun game, to be sure. Now they need to make a sequel and include Live and System Link play.

Donnie_B
12-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info, I think that I will check it out.

Brasco

:cheers:

RudedogX
12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
I liked this game at E3, and the demo on the OXM is the same demo at E3. I think I will eventually pick it up, I just have a hard time justifying the purchase with all the other good games out right now.

studepaber
12-14-2003, 08:31 PM
ok, followed your advice Thrasher and picked this up and wow it sure is a fun game. It controls like most FPS'ers and reminds me of Halo in a couple of ways.....(computer-controlled teammates and enemy robots screaming out comical sayings as you blast them away). The story is compelling, action is intense, several primary and seconday upgradeable weapons to choose from, ability to drive vehicles, easily one of my favorites of the year.

skorp
12-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah I played the demo and it was a fun game... The best part I liked was when I took over the huge Robots body (The part where you enter the small tunnel) and just went off on the little red robots blowing them up to pieces until I had to eject from it... That was Hilarious!:D

thrAsher
12-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by studepaber
ok, followed your advice Thrasher and picked this up and wow it sure is a fun game. It controls like most FPS'ers and reminds me of Halo in a couple of ways.....(computer-controlled teammates and enemy robots screaming out comical sayings as you blast them away). The story is compelling, action is intense, several primary and seconday upgradeable weapons to choose from, ability to drive vehicles, easily one of my favorites of the year.

Alright studepaber! Yeah, those guys at Swinging Ape Studios did a fantastic job w/ this game. It tears me up they didn't add system link (at least!!!), but even w/ that said, the game certainly stands out of the crowd. In my top 5 games of the year, and one I'm sure I'll remember for a long, long time. Fast paced, engaging, great fluidity in gameplay...funny! I'm still a little shocked at how much the one robot swears. LMAO!

Matter of fact, I just got to a new location last night...gonna get my game on.

studepaber
12-16-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by thrAsher

Matter of fact, I just got to a new location last night...gonna get my game on.

Hey how far are you in the game? I think I'm on level 12 (maybe 11) it's the level where you first encounter the flying robots. But so far I'm getting my arse kicked by those things and the bigger robots. Stayed up until 2 playing this last night and now I'm paying for it at work today *zombie eyes* :( I seem to be more impressed with this game the further I advance.

thrAsher
12-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Well, I got past the underground section that you're in last night. ( I got 'zombie eyes', too. LOL. ) There are some really cool things you do in those levels. Wait until you the wrench, that sequence cracked me up. The flying guys do suck, but if you want some tips, PM me. I've found a decent strategy to take those buggers out. Heck, you need any advice on that underground series of levels, feel free to ask.

The game continues to impress, and the story stays strong. There are so many things you have to do besides blast stuff, and that is what I think makes this game rock so hard. I hope I'm not flying through this game, but as it's been almost a week (playing 2-3 if not more hours a night), this game has already been worth the $50. I've tried to take my time, and have explored somewhat extensively. Still, I've missed some chips along the way, and want to collect every last one, so replayability is guaranteed, especially as difficult as the game can be at points! Some of the times they want you to beat for the Speed Chips are just crazy, though. Guess you need to just fly through those babies once.

Anyhow, keep me posted on your thoughts. I'd like to see what you think of it once you've beaten it. I'm hoping to get some solid multiplayer going this weekend to fully experience that side of the game.

ScottTheKilla
12-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Ya I remember when I first heard about metal arms and saw previews I never thought Id like it but then I played that oxm demo and loved it.

I recently got it and its great. Im at that boss who opens his mouth when you hurt him but have died like 8 times trying to kill him lol

studepaber
12-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ScottTheKilla

I recently got it and its great. Im at that boss who opens his mouth when you hurt him but have died like 8 times trying to kill him lol

He's really not too bad, it takes about 6-7 grenages to the mouth to finish him off. After the first 3 or so he summons a smaller guy, you wanna finish the little guy first, then after throw another grenade in his mouth. Two guys then come out, kill them both then it's just a couple more grenades and he's done. My weapon of choice is the rocket launcher and there is one place where you can replenish your rockets. Also if you notice on the floor there are items underneath breakable barriers, to get these make sure these barriers are between you and the boss, get him to throw his weapon and when he drags it you should then be able to get the items (speed, health, grenades). Hope this helps!

thrAsher
12-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ScottTheKilla

*SPOILER?*

That boss battle was tough, at first. I kept looking for clues in the map as to how to beat him. After realizing I had to hit him in the mouth, I tried rockets but didn't have much luck w/ them. I couldn't tell you how many rockets I put down that guys throat. Maybe I didn't use enough, but I used a buttload of 'em. Then it hit me: that battle occurs shortly after you find the slingshot. It was a David and Goliath scenario!

It took me two more tries, using the slingshot and grenades, to take that Zombie King down.

Spellfire
12-22-2003, 07:27 PM
This game looks fun. I am close to buying it, but have a few questions to ask first that reviews have failed to answer so maybe someone here can...

First off, about how long does the single player last (approx.) and how much of a replay value does the single player have?

Second, In the multiplayer, are there enemy bots?

thrAsher
12-24-2003, 10:04 AM
Haven't beaten it yet, my brother hijacked my copy. But from what I've read, you're looking at a good 10-15 hours on normal difficulty. Not a super long campaign mode, but w/ all the hidden 'Secret Chips', you should get some extra play out of it. Add the other difficulty modes (Hard and Nuts of Steel), I'm sure most gamers will take another stab at the game just to test their steel.

In multiplayer, there are not enemy bots, per se. Instead, on many of the maps, you'll have other, neutral bots that you can take control of to help you out (as can your enemy). This can either be w/ the Control Tether, or even better, w/ Recruiter Grenades, which turn any bots in the vicinity of the blast into your allies. You can even 'recruit' your enemy's bots - or cooler yet, your enemy himself, which in turn makes any bots he's recruited turn on him and any kills he makes go toward your score. This 'domination' lasts until he kills you. Also, multiplayer maps, especially those you open up by collecting the requisite number of Special Chips, rival those of Halo. Some are absolutley huge.

Tenshi
12-31-2003, 02:26 PM
I just bought my xbox with kotor,halo,midtown 3,mech assaulyt and this
ANd i must say its my favourite game ever,theres just sumthing about it which is fresh and fun

GamingNerd303
12-31-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by skorp
Yeah I played the demo and it was a fun game... The best part I liked was when I took over the huge Robots body (The part where you enter the small tunnel) and just went off on the little red robots blowing them up to pieces until I had to eject from it... That was Hilarious!:D
That was a great demo...I want to buy this game immediately

E Nomini Patri
01-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Dang, I'm stuck on the first Morbot level and I'm at a watery looking gate with a tesla coil thingy in front that turns your reticle red. Well I can't blow it up so I don't know what to do. You guys got there yet?

I think this game is longer than 15 hours. I've put about 9 into it and I'm not even half way done. I can't wait to beat it and play again on the harder difficulties and unlock the multiplayer maps!

nhslax212
01-04-2004, 06:05 PM
the way u guys r raving about this game im thinking of gettin it now...well after rbs3 lol

J4320
01-06-2004, 01:11 PM
If it doesn't have live, it should at least have system link....

Ease
01-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Spellfire
This game looks fun. I am close to buying it, but have a few questions to ask first that reviews have failed to answer so maybe someone here can...

First off, about how long does the single player last (approx.) and how much of a replay value does the single player have?

Second, In the multiplayer, are there enemy bots?

Atleast 15 hours for most people on normal. It has over 40 single player levels. 14 multiplayer levels. You can go back to any level you want and try and hunt down more secret chips to unlock extra MP levels or just to play your fav levels again. Some people having been going back and playing the game on the Nuts Of Steel difficulty mode and having fun as it requires a different playing style (more strategy)

There are enemy bots in multiplayer but they do not mimic human player behavior. Enemy robots from the single player are in the MP levels and you can recruit them on your team, possess them, or just turn them on so they fight all players if they detect them (by default they don't move or see players so they are easy to steal)