PDA

View Full Version : Universal MC2 Racing Wheel for Xbox games?

xboxrookie
12-11-2003, 09:59 AM
I am a new xbox owner and new to this forum, and have a few questions on using a racing wheel with Xbox racing games.

I just purchased the Universal MC2 Racing wheel for use with my Xbox, and it really enhanced my experience and success on Apex, I was thrilled, it was exactly what I had hoped.

However, I then tried Rallisport Challenge, V-Rally 3, and SEGA GT 2002 with the wheel and I actually regressed, and it was more difficult for me to control the cars with the wheel then it was with the S Controller. I tweaked the deadzone, turning radius, etc., but still struggled and shot from one side of the road to the next. Needless to say, I was very frustrated and disappointed.

Are these games just much more difficult to control than Apex, do I just need a ton of more practice before the racing wheel becomes a benefit and enhancement? Are there game options I need to turn on or off on these games to make the wheel more useful?

Also, there arent many Xbox wheel options, but I definitely want to have one, are there ones where control is easier.

Thanks for any insight, "Frustrated in Chicago"

steveo_wrx
12-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey there, xbrookie.

Perhaps the MC Universal is a jack of all trades and master of none. ;)

Hmmm. I have used MC wheels for Dreamcast, PS2 and now the Xbox, all purchased before advent of the Universal wheel, naturally. :cry: In all honesty, MC makes an okay product, but there are flaws. I've broken the rubber band steering tensioners, and had other failures where I have had to cannibalize spare wheels to make one of the others work. And the darn PS2 wheel didn't work on about 3/4 of the games, including GT3. :cuss:

But it does seems odd that you wheel would control well for some games and not others. V-Rally 3 is twitchy until you get used to how it controls. I never had any problems such as you mention with the MC2 Xbox wheel on either RSC, Sega GT 2K or Total Immersion Racing. Try PGR2, it controls as smooth as butter. :D

You might try a different wheel. I really like the Cobra TT wheel for the PS2, way better steering resistance than the MC2 and you can also just strap it onto your legs and drive, as opposed to mucking about with table-mounted suction cups. They make it for the Xbox as well. Here's a variety of wheels to check out:

http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xDN-Xbox__Accessories--729_racing_wheels

xboxrookie
12-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write, I appreciate it. Since I posted that question, I have become more proficient at GT 2002, and the wheel is working quite well, maybe I just need to master one game at a time, and not try them all in a few days.

I will work a little more with RSC, for I love that game and want to play it more.

I am waiting for Logitech to make a force feedback for Xbox, I have heard that would solve any bodies issues on a solid wheel for that console.

Thanks again and Happy Holidaya!