PDA

View Full Version : Full Spectrum Warrior

Chr0nik
12-12-2003, 12:54 PM
If you're going to war, you take an Xbox. And not just to use as a club, says Edge

'You DO something. It looks COOL. You feel SMART.' It's the first thing Edge sees scrawled on Pandemic's whiteboard, and over the next few hours it will become apparent how well it has implemented its mantra into Full Spectrum Warrior.

The core of the game is very simple. You control two teams of four - a team leader, a grenadier, a rifleman and an automatic rifleman.

Instructions - which boil down to move and fire - can be issued to the team as a whole, or to each individual via the D-pad. The soldiers respond as trained infantrymen would, assuming the correct formation to round corners and returning fire if fired upon. But this isn't Conflict: Desert Storm, you have no direct control over your men - you never run anywhere, you never pull a trigger.

From these simple building blocks, FSW allows for the formulation of fairly complex manoeuvres. 'Bounding' allows you to split the team into a two-by-two move and cover pattern: first select the point you want your men to reach, then select the fire sector you want the first two men to cover when they reach that point. Set it in motion and your team will execute, the last two covering the first two and then the first two returning the favour. Get your second team in on the act and your head starts to hurt. Negotiating ten feet in FSW is as taxing as 100 yards in many superficially similar games.

More info (http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/features/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=27535&subsectionid=1636)

joe sides
12-12-2003, 02:48 PM
boy I am going to be poor this next March. Halo 2 AND full spectrum. Does anyone know if FSW is based in only one area of operations or one theatre??? I would really like to some snow/woodland/night uniforms.

Hard Boiled Cop
12-12-2003, 02:53 PM
I think its only one. Its in the middle east right so I guess no snow. There probably is gonig to be night time but I don't know.

WynnFire
12-13-2003, 03:08 AM
I was all psyched up about this game watching the videos and everything until that you don't do any of the shooting yourself. You just tell the units on the screen where to go. I will definately still check it out though.

Hard Boiled Cop
12-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Well its meant to be an RTS so I don't think they should add some shooting init.

Holt88
02-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I scratched this off my list cause of me not being able to shoot anyone. If I want to move people around, I'll play the sims, screw this.

Alex Napalm
02-05-2004, 04:48 PM
No adversarial mode over XBL is what killed this game for me.

BehindRedDoors
02-05-2004, 05:05 PM
This game looks quite amazing and sounds even better. I am really hyped.

sojourner
02-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Its a definite buy for me, the games about leadership, stratetgy and working your teams. I think this one will be a surefire winner. The 15min video of in game action looks the biz. Imo.:)

kenji
02-05-2004, 06:51 PM
No, this isn't my type of game. I really don't like stradegy games like this. Moving people, telling them to lay cover or kill someone just sounds really boring to me.:confused:

l Maximus l
02-05-2004, 06:53 PM
I'll definately rent this before buying it. I have to see this bad boy in action before I lay down 50 bones on it. The premise is extremely interesting and I've been watching this game close for a long time...so, I'm pretty pumped up about checking this mama jama out :)

sojourner
02-05-2004, 07:00 PM
On a side note, it says the thread starter is chronic yet direct x seems to have started it. Are they one and the same?:huh:

Reclaimer
02-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Read me my interview!

Click me, Naw mean? (http://www.xboxaddict.com/interviews/view_interview.php?Interview_ID=40)

Just got word that FSW got pushed back to June, by the way.

enigma
02-06-2004, 10:04 AM
the game sounds gd all apart from the non-shootin, i mean wtf i **** play tht game and not get bored, the hole fun tht i have on games is shootin people and i dont like stratagy, conflicrt desert storm 2 has enoff stratagie for me so i think that i wont be byin this game.

Crazy Joe
02-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by sojourner
On a side note, it says the thread starter is chronic yet direct x seems to have started it. Are they one and the same?:huh:

yup, chronic's name was changed to Direct X since this thread had been started.

mattgame
02-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Holt88
Yeah, I scratched this off my list cause of me not being able to shoot anyone. If I want to move people around, I'll play the sims, screw this.

May still be fun for strategists but I need to shoot someone. I'll check it out though.

Holt88
02-06-2004, 09:31 PM
February 05, 2004 - We received word from THQ today that Full Spectrum Warrior, the squad-based military strategy game developed by Pandemic Studios, has been pushed back from its originally expected March release to June 8, 2004.

While no official reason was given for the change, THQ mentioned the title as being among those now slated for its new fiscal year. There's a good chance, then, that the release was changed for financial considerations.

What a bunch of idiots. I might be releasing riiiight near Halo 2. Then they're just flat out stupid and FSW will not sell because of Halo 2. 4-5 months delayed for what? Big F on their part for the release of this game. Release the game right near Halo 2, then go out of business and make me happy.

l Maximus l
02-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah...that's not exactly the best Corporate decision to make...releasing this game around the time Halo 2 is coming out.

I predict that Halo 2 will be one of the only games being played on XBox Live...until people become burnt out on it (which will likely take a long ass time)

Holt88
02-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Can you control individual soldiers? Can you shoot from a first person POV?

FSW is based on controlling squads of men. It was created to teach squad leaders how to command, not to simulate individual control of soldiers. While we may let you give individual fire sectors in the final game, letting you have full control of an individual soldier disrupts the flow of the game and actually removes you from your command position.

Does Full Spectrum Warrior support Xbox Live?

Yes we plan to offer full support for Live. More details will be coming, but for now we can say the game will support a two-player, online cooperative mode.

How does Full Spectrum Warrior differ from America’s Army?

America’s Army is used as a recruiting tool by the Army. Full Spectrum Warrior is based off an actual simulation program designed to help train troops in Military Operations in Urban Terrain or M.O.U.T.

I wonder what else they might do for Live. Maybe there's a reason why they're delaying it so long, could it be they're adding in a seprate mode where you actually give commands and control a solider to shoot? Or possibly adding more things for XBox Live.

BinaryXtreme
02-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Not my type of game either. Would be nice if it let you choose how you wanted to play the game. Interested to hear from players after it comes out how they like it though.

Holt88
02-08-2004, 01:32 AM
If something “realistic” turns out not to be fun, they’re removing it from the game. For example, the original FSW had you securing bodies and enemies after they were wounded and on the ground…that’s not in the game anymore.

That's from Gamepro. And you know what, if the big delay is because they want to take things out, then screw this. And yet this is talked about being the most realistic game? Ummmm ok. From the start this sounded like a good game, but now they are just making it much worse for themselves, taking things out...making long delays and who knows what else. Hopefully one thing I did read on some gaming website was Pandemic was to put the Army version of the game, the REAL realistic one as a second CD where it would take smoke grenades 45 seconds to a minute to fully set up. Question is, why not just port the damn game over to the Xbox?

See, this is the kind of crap that pisses me off. All this non sense talk about it, but when I start reading on how they're taking everything realistic out, it's flat out STUPID. They're only hurting themselves by doing this. Depending on when this game comes out I might get it. If it's near Halo 2, you can forget about really anyone picking this game up. March was a good month, and people were really wanting to pick this game up, but in July I heard? I don't think so.

Stupid delays and decisions done by them = failures.

Splinter-Seal
02-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Initially I was super hyped over this game. Then, I found out how the game play was laid out. Simply not my type of game, and being released around the same time as Halo 2 is almost a surefire doom sealer for this one. Now, not to say it won't sell, because I'm sure it will. But still -what the hell are they thinking? I'm just not into RPG's, or Strat games -I wished it was more like SOCOM. Oh well, Rainbow is doing fine still.

LTM360
02-08-2004, 06:30 PM
This is a dang RTS??? Well dang, that killed it for me. I hyped up for it that long, and its an RTS... :cuss:

Holt88
02-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Ok, I really don't know what's going on. I saw the 14 min video at fullspectrumwarrior.com and he's securing the guy they shot. Some things aren't explained very well of what's in and out of the game.

Holt88
02-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Seems like I found more things...

Recently THQ announced that video game soldiers won’t be able to take to the Xbox and PC battlefields anytime soon.

In a recent press release THQ announced record revenues for the companies third quarter and in that release told the gaming word that Full Spectrum Warrior would not be released in March as they had originally planned.

Now their combat simulation will be released June 8th, 2004. No reason has been given, but sources at Pandemic suggest that the game is done and the game is being delayed to help boost quarterly profits in June for THQ.

For those of you who haven’t heard about Full Spectrum Warrior, its an ultra-realistic military combat simulation that will see you become the squad leader and provide direction to Alpha and Bravo marine combat teams.

Unlike the Apprentice, you won’t be fired if you perform badly, but you might be killed in the game.

Holt88
02-09-2004, 10:21 PM
New pictures people. http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/566/566987/imgs_1.html

Holt88
02-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Seems like they didn't take anything out as I see, so people are giving wrong information.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/fsw_121503_048.jpg

PoetSaskia
02-10-2004, 04:20 PM
that is pretty ridiculous, all that hype and only now we find out it's a frickin strategy game . . . please! What a joke! as for you guys saying it's going to be released the same time as Halo2, haven't you heard, Halo 2 isn't coming out til fall

Bakeman
02-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by PoetSaskia
that is pretty ridiculous, all that hype and only now we find out it's a frickin strategy game . . . please! What a joke! as for you guys saying it's going to be released the same time as Halo2, haven't you heard, Halo 2 isn't coming out til fall

Seems everyone hasn't been informed.....

FSW had videos released months ago, in each video it was painfully obvious that it was a strategy game. Here at IGN (http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/566/566987/vids_1.html) they have a small clips, that shows the gameplay. These are small clips, which I believe make up the large video released. If you notice the release date of that video it was back in 06/20/03. That was 5 months ago.

And about Halo 2 ... yeah, FALL people! Eb has it listed for September now. There has been news releases about it's delay. It came along with the Multiplayer Screen shot (yeah right). But I guess everyone was to busy drooling over it. Again notice the date. Jan 30th 2004 almost two weeks ago.Link (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/487/487988p1.html)

January 30, 2004 - The most anticipated game of 2004 has to be Halo 2, but with no firm release date given, we wondered if we'd even really see the game this year. Now we have a definite answer. Bungie, the developer of the game, has confirmed that the game will ship in fall of 2004. While it's not too specific, at least we know the game will be out in the second half of the year.

Holt88
02-11-2004, 11:06 PM
I know more people like this game, post people.