PDA

View Full Version : Finished Deus Ex 2 last night...

iamandola
12-12-2003, 01:09 PM
At the start I was very hopefull. It sucked me right into their world like KOTOR did. I played it for a week solid, but every day I started to lose interest. By last night, I just wanted to finish the damn thing and have it over. The gameplay, while deep and pretty, just got too repetitive. Everything was dark and gloomy always. The environments were claustrophobic. It did a great job offering multiple paths, but you end up taking all of them so you can loot the whole building.

But the problem really boils down to story. I didn't give a **** about my character, or any that I met. I didn't want to help any of their one dimensional characters. It also tried to have an X-files feel, where you never really knew anyones real motivation, so you never found any characters you felt like helping. Now I'm no Halo fanboy, and I don't think it was the be all, end all of game stories, but it blew this pile of puke away.

The endings also sucked. I saw all four. They were short, stupid, and then there weren't even credits or anything. It just booted you back to the main menu.

Nice try Phil. I say close, but no cigar.

Variation-XBA
12-12-2003, 01:34 PM
I wasnt impressed either for the little bit I tried it.. Seems like it tried to do too much or something, but doesnt really excell at either

AlphaCigara
12-12-2003, 04:06 PM
for the sake of those of us who are considering buying/renting this game, how many hours did it take yall to beat?

George89
12-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Guess that means I better rent it first.

skorp
12-13-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by MM3_XBOX
for the sake of those of us who are considering buying/renting this game, how many hours did it take yall to beat?

Well Iamandola can’t really get an accurate figure in the time he beat it because he avoided some characters who will give you other quests to complete in the game...

I don’t know.... But so far it’s good to me. Then again I'm still spending more playing time on KOTOR and Call Of Duty (PC) and slowly back to DE:IW. I just hope this game doesn’t suck for me as well!

For this game I'm going to depend on personal preference and hope I end up liking it instead... I'm not a big RPG gamer and I got KOTOR as a gift and it won my heart! So I'm hoping...:)

kenji
12-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I just started and my intrest is already waning. It so dull. The colors and shades are all grey or black. The worst thing has to be the voices. COMPLETELY MONOTONE. Thank God I didn't buy this game.

Rent it, you may lilke it, but it lacks in both the RPG and FPS genre.

thrAsher
12-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by MM3_XBOX

I logged around 18 hours, and definitely took my time w/ some of the maps, but altogether I bet I spent more like 30 hours on the game (I restarted after playing through most of Seattle).

And I'm glad you're gonna give it a chance, Skorp, because it is really an interesting game. The last couple locations are actually a lot of fun, IMHO. I'm glad I bought it, but imagine I'll trade it after another run through.

Xorg
12-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Well so far I put in about four hours in it and so far its good, well it doesnt matter at the end how bad it is, I did get the game for free

MikeMan91389
12-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Wow, now im extremely proud of myself for resisting the urge to buy it, thanks for the analysis and savin me 50 bux. I dont like RPG's but i thought this would be one of the few that i liked, but aparently not :)

:cheers: thanks again

Gosby
12-14-2003, 01:47 PM
I loved almost every aspect of the game except that it was too damn short, not nearly as long as the first but still worht every penny i paid for it.

Brevity
12-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Thanks for posting this, makes me a little ify about getting this one.

FuNkY mOnK
12-15-2003, 07:15 AM
Save your money I turned mine in after a few hours.

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 07:16 AM
Thanks for letting us know it's a let down so we don't buy it. I never liked Deus Ex, it just felt like it wasn't here nor there and it bored me. I also felt it was too linear for me even though you could make many choices.

Well, I wasn't going to buy DE:IW in any case but thanks for keeping us in the know.

FuNkY mOnK
12-15-2003, 07:25 AM
The dumb-ass at OXM give Deus Ex 9.1, goes to show if they actually play these games or just ass-kissers. as For me i just buy the mag for the demos. I don't need the weather man to know which way the wind blows.

DOOM
12-15-2003, 09:24 AM
I Enjoyed The Game...
If You Can Enjoy Depth, And You Have The Attention Span Of An Adult, You Will Enjoy This Game...
It's Freaking Huge!:cheers:

Fully_Loaded
12-15-2003, 09:41 AM
is it as linear as star wars KOTOR?

DOOM
12-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Fully_Loaded
is it as linear as star wars KOTOR?
Not At All.....

thrAsher
12-15-2003, 10:39 AM
I just want to say that before any of you just dismiss this game, if you are at all curious or 'middle of the road' about it, rent it.

I think Deus Ex is well worth a look. I believe it'll end up like Brute Force, though, with some singing it's praises and some who hate it's very existence.

FuNkY mOnK
12-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by DOOM
I Enjoyed The Game...
If You Can Enjoy Depth, And You Have The Attention Span Of An Adult, You Will Enjoy This Game...

Come on Doom you know better then this, what’d you do over the weekend buy a Flam Prof suit off ebay?

DocHoliday78
12-15-2003, 02:08 PM
I Enjoyed The Game...

That was the case for the first one as well. Many people thought it was too long and lost intrest, i dont know if thats the case.

X-Fan
12-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

Come on Doom you know better then this, what’d you do over the weekend buy a Flam Prof suit off ebay?
why would someone FLAM him for liking a game?imo its a very good game.i rented it and now plan on purchasing it.its at least a AA title.

Fully_Loaded
12-15-2003, 02:18 PM

Not At All.....

Doom,

Which one do you like better?

DOOM
12-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Fully_Loaded

Doom,

Which one do you like better?
Deus Ex 2...;)

iamandola
12-16-2003, 09:11 AM
but being able to either walk in a building, or crawl through a vent does not make it non-linear. Now, ordering a pizza to a location, knocking out the delivery boy, taking his uniform, and sneaking in, or pulling a fire alarm to empty a building. That would be worth talking about.

To all others, buy this game only if you want a sci-fi Splinter cell with poor enemy AI, and a framerate that detracts from gameplay.