PDA

View Full Version : Got a New Xbox!

ColdStone
12-13-2003, 01:07 PM
Its a Phillips! Oh well, it runnes quiter and better then my old one. Hit's factory dat is. 10/27/2003, and the serial code ends in 05. I went throught tons of BS to get it. Game Stop said they could only give me like $35 store dcedit on it, or do a $65 refurbish. So I went to EB, which was a whole lot more cutomer friendly, only got $50 store credit on my Xbox. But when everything ended I still paid less for the Xbox with a 2 ytear warrenty then if I would have just gotten one with outt he trade in.

But the guy at EB wouldn't let me check the serial numbers for a 06 or the date. So I think I still got stuck with a thomson. Oh well if it does south in the next two years, I just saying its broken, and I get a new one. No questions asked.

CMX Jedi
12-13-2003, 04:12 PM
uhhh...congrats..I..guess. :confused:

skidney
12-13-2003, 05:57 PM
im proud of you man good job so you traded in your xbox for a xbox so you could get a phillips and you dont even know if you have a phillips ? good job will you be my personal consultant because your amazeing

JB20_2003
12-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Man open you dvd drive of your xbox and look at it... If it has just a U shape cut out of it its the Thomson, if it has a Bulb shape cut out its a Philips and if it has a U with 2 round holes one on each side of the U its a Samsung.

nof
12-14-2003, 12:57 AM
What's the difference between the types of Xbox's? Do some run better than others?

Kraft
12-14-2003, 05:47 AM
A lot of the Thompson drives have crapped out on people, because they are crappy dvd drives. Of course they were only used in the earliest of Xbox's... so if you didn't buy your xbox for 300 dollars then you should have nothing to worry about.

MikeMan91389
12-14-2003, 09:43 AM
I have a question:

Why did they fail to realize this before they put it on the market.... Im not sayin it was bad, but through testing, couldnt it be stopped... i know they cant be perfect, cuz they got like 1,000,000 other things to do, but it suprised me that they didnt test it... O well, the other drives are good, i have two phillips, so im happy :)

gerbil
12-14-2003, 10:59 AM
good for you!! :cheers:

saltine
12-14-2003, 11:06 AM
good 4 u

nof
12-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Nick-XBA
A lot of the Thompson drives have crapped out on people, because they are crappy dvd drives. Of course they were only used in the earliest of Xbox's... so if you didn't buy your xbox for 300 dollars then you should have nothing to worry about. Thanks Nick.

Uh oh... I've had mine since the $300 range and I just checked the drive cut-out shape and it is a Thompson. :(

How long does it take to crap out? Mine IS starting to get slow, and sometimes I get errors. It's gonna suck if my Xbox just dies out while I'm playing.

Sexaya
12-14-2003, 12:27 PM
*phew* I've got a Phillips. I haven't got any complaints towards my XBox anyway, so it doesn't matter. Congratulations on your new green machine, hope it treats ya well.

:cheers:

ColdStone
12-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Well Nof, it depends. I got my old Box last year for Christmas. But by summer I was getting alot of DDEs especaily with MA. It got to the point where I would have to leave the disk in the drive after getting a DDE, turn off the box and turn it back on to work. Granted that trick worked, but you should not do that. Its like hitting the power button on your comp when your playing a game or somthing. But then I got Crimson Skies, I traded in the once because the first disk was faulty, but still with hte second on, I still had DDEs. But the game I saw problems with it the most was Morrowind GOTY. The loading times were extreamly long, and even then I was crossing my fingers while I played hopeing that the game would not crash. And I even exchanged the game for another copy twice! But since I got my new Box, no problems.

There are people who own Thomson drives that work just fine, but if yours is starting to slow down,m or get too loud when its working, or diving you alot of fits with the games you play and that you have taken care of the game disks, I would say trade it in at your local EB. If you were to send it to M$, it would cost you about $108, and thats for them to look at it, and there is no sure fire shot that they will totally fix your box. The only way you can pretty much be sure of fixing it would be to trade it in and go for a Samsung of Phillips.

Fully_Loaded
12-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Dvd drive breakdown

Thompson. Works perfect with any dvdr- minus media, and most dvdr+ media. It also plays cdrw as long as it's burned at 1x speed. It has a bad rep because it doesn't play cdr's. I have thompsons in my xbox's and they see a lot of play, never once have I had a problem.

Phillips: Phillips Does not support dvdr+ media of any kind, nor does it play most cdr brands, it plays cdrw's burned at no higher than 2X. Phillips was a 12 dollar cheaper solution per unit which is why MS used it for it's 2nd production value.

Samsung: Samsung is the favorite among the 'mod' community. It plays all dvdr- and all cdr's and cdrw's, however it doesn't play dvdr+. Samsung costs no more than the phillips and they've experienced less returns on units containing samsung. So this is pretty much the standard on all newer xbox's.

That's the breakdown of the drives. I love thompson over all, as I said I have never had a problem with any xbox game. in any of my thompson drives.

Obviously I do not support piracy. My information is researched and accurate. I have my own reasons.

DocHoliday78
12-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Its kinda funny how the people that ended up paying the most for their xbox get the worst drive. Have fun with your new xbox and i will be dealing with my crappy thompson.

Kraft
12-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Here's the thing: If you take care of your Xbox then the Thompson will work fine. I bought mine the day after release (Nov. 16th 2001) and it is still running strong. You just have to take care of it: clean it out with compressed air and alcohol wipes now and then, never leave it sitting on carpet, etc. and you should be fine.

# 1 Stunner
12-14-2003, 03:36 PM
how easy would it be to replace ur dvd drive with a new one, and how much would it cost?

Kraft
12-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by # 1 Stunner
how easy would it be to replace ur dvd drive with a new one, and how much would it cost?

Severly easy. All you have to do is open your xbox, pull out the old dvd drive and stick in the new one. Please be aware this has to be a drive MADE for the xbox, not just some random PC dvd drive. The drives go for about 60 bucks and you can usually find them online or on ebay.

# 1 Stunner
12-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Nick-XBA

Severly easy. All you have to do is open your xbox, pull out the old dvd drive and stick in the new one. Please be aware this has to be a drive MADE for the xbox, not just some random PC dvd drive. The drives go for about 60 bucks and you can usually find them online or on ebay. so if id look to get another drive for my xbox the samsung one, id just search for samsung xbox dvd drive?

saltine
12-14-2003, 07:48 PM
two of my friend's xboxs have needed a new dvd drive... they cant read cds anymore....any one know DM_Gestapo. well him and one of his pals needed one....it *** to have to repair stupid crap like that

nof
12-14-2003, 08:54 PM
I've met Gestapo before at 50k. Cool kid.

I've hauled my Xbox more than 2000 miles this since I got it so it's gone though lots of abuse. I cleaned it out but didn't notice any performance increase. Ill probably buy another Xbox once they have a game bundle with games I don't have.

I'm still playing now so all's good.

Thanks for the advice all.

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Confession: Once I got my ass whooped so badly at DOA3 by a friend that I picked my xbox and threw it (as gently as I could) on the ground. Of course later I apologized and cleaned it :cry: