PDA

View Full Version : Queston about 5.1

Platainium
12-13-2003, 02:04 PM
I understand I need the Xbox Advanced AV Pack to get the xbox working with the s-video and Dolby SS 5.1. My question is that can you just use RCA connections for surround sound?
Like the quality of the surround sound go down or will their be no surround sound at all?

Thanks.

Fully_Loaded
12-13-2003, 03:25 PM
For proper surround sound you need an optical or coaxal cable. So getting the advanced pack is a plus... if you have HDTV the hdtv hookup comes with a place for an optical cable.. that's the best way to go.

Platainium
12-13-2003, 03:38 PM
If I use an RCA connector will I get ANY surround sound?

And what is a coaxal cable and do all tv support it? And what does it look like?

Im taking about this Advanced AV Pack:
http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Hardware/advanced_av_pack.htm

(Not the high definition pack, my tv doesn't supoort it but it supports s-video)

Yankeez
12-13-2003, 04:53 PM
ya u need the optical cable if thats the same av pack i have

if u rotate it over u can see the optical cable slot where u plug it in and you cant get surround sound with RCA

LynxFX
12-13-2003, 04:53 PM
No, you will not get surround sound with the composite audio cables (red, white).

Since the Xbox doesn't have any options for coaxial, just ignore that one for now.

What you need to get surround sound is the advanced A/V pack, which you mentioned, and an optical cable. This cable will go from the A/V pack to your receiver (assuming it has optical in which it should).

Do you have a receiver and a 5.1 speaker setup?

Platainium
12-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA
Do you have a receiver and a 5.1 speaker setup? Yes, well I will soon.

Awh man I need an optical cable? Their so expensive.

I go check if my reciever supports optical cables.

Platainium
12-13-2003, 05:25 PM
I just checked and their is an optical connection on my receiver.

LynxFX
12-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Platainium
Awh man I need an optical cable? Their so expensive.

$12 at Target or Wal-Mart. Cheap man, cheap. :) Just don't buy an expensive brand such as Monster. You don't need that.

Platainium
12-13-2003, 05:56 PM
So thats around $16 Canadian. Not that bad, but it could be cheaper.

mordecai
12-13-2003, 07:44 PM
Madcatz advanced AV pack has the connector, s-video, RCA, and optical cords. It's only $30, canadian, at Future shop. You will need the optical cord for Real surrond sound but the surrond sound system I have only has a RCA in-put so I use that. It isn't that bad, since it simulates doulby digital fairley well but it's not true surround sound.

BCan
12-14-2003, 05:57 AM
The receiver is either Dolby Digital, or it is not. If not, then it is most likely Dolby Pro-Logic, or Pro-Logic II.

They may try to do the same thing, but from an analogue source, and don't have the same quality as Dolby Digital.

As for the XBOX itself, I believe that until you have the Advanced AV pack, you can't enable Dolby Digital on the unit.

MikeMan91389
12-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info, cuz im shoppin for a home theatre too... Yankeez has helped me a lot, but all this stuff helps too!

Platainium
12-14-2003, 04:16 PM
I got the Advanced AV Pack and a Monster Standard THX Certified(39.99, my mom got it) optic digital cable. Now all I have to do is wait for Christmas for my xbox.

Please oh please let it be a samsung.

I getting this new Quest bundle pack:
http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/hardware/xboxquestcollection.htm

What are my chances of getting a Samsung DVD drive?