PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Racing games?

Sexaya
12-14-2003, 07:19 AM
I've never been a big fan of Racing games simply because they don't give you enough options, it's just... Get there the fastest. And I haven't seen many games that are actually original (except for Carnage and GTA of course).

So I'd like to ask you, what are your favorite racing games and what makes them special? What other modes (except for multiplayer) are there in them that make them unique?

Theory Of Games
12-14-2003, 12:52 PM
racing games can't be original really. Its just a race to the end.
Like fighting games, beat up the enemy. Or FPS's, kill the enemies.

I currently like

Colin McRae Rally 04. Because I love rally and it really is THE rally game.

Burnout 2. Its an amazing game, and the crash mode is quite good.

PGR2. Its just brilliant.

CarGuy
12-14-2003, 09:19 PM
IMO there isn't a racing game that comes close to Gran Turismo 3. I'm sure GT4 will be amazing also. There's many other elements from other games that are great but GT takes the cake.

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 12:13 AM
to Theory of Games: Fighting games can be innovative with different moves and finish sequences, and different arenas. Same with FPS's, they can bring new enemies and sometimes it has puzzles and dialogue. So both of these genres have relatively much more 'flesh' than racing games. Now about the games, could you please explain why you like each game? For example, what is crashmode and why is Project Gotham Racing 2 a brilliant game? :huh: Thanks.

CarGuy: Again, could you explain why? O_o

Jims5543
12-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy
IMO there isn't a racing game that comes close to Gran Turismo 3. I'm sure GT4 will be amazing also. There's many other elements from other games that are great but GT takes the cake.

I agree 100%. The only reason I even own a PS2 is because of GT3 and eventually GT4.

I race in real life doing open track days and Autocrossing. While you dont get the seat of the pants feeling of actually being in a car. You definatly get the basics of driving well. I mean anyone can hack away at the game and win. Go into a race with hundreds of more HP than any competitor and you better win.

I use it to keep me sharp for actual road course racing. GT3 is very very realistic. I wish X-Box could muster up a game that came close to the realism of GT3. I prefer the X-box for every other game out. It is definatly a stonger platform that PS2. I get tired of the slow load times on PS2.

RagunCajun
12-27-2003, 03:38 PM
my fav racing games are:

Sanfransico rush on the n64: The game play is so damn fun. All the cars are even. You can play around because the levels arent bound by barriers.

GT3 on p2: full customization. BTW i suck at this and i havent gotten very far in the game.

NFSU p2: Alot of fun especialy online. I wouldnt of bought it if it wasnt online.

TO bring up my point again in the Sanfran Rush game. The tracks arent surounded by barriers. It allows you to go off road and find and do crazy stuff. I think if all the driving games done this, they would be ALOT more fun.

Cyclone
01-01-2004, 07:06 PM
I dunno about you guys but I thought GT3 sucked horribly. Everybody compares every racing game to this and uses it as a benchmark for racing games however I found the game to be very flawed, especially with the physics. Worst physics ever >:\

RagunCajun
01-03-2004, 03:13 AM
I though they were right on. real enough to piss me off most of the time. You drive real cars, meaning do ya have ya license? just wondering?

Jims5543
01-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone
I dunno about you guys but I thought GT3 sucked horribly. Everybody compares every racing game to this and uses it as a benchmark for racing games however I found the game to be very flawed, especially with the physics. Worst physics ever >:\

I strongly disagree. As stated before I actually race real cars and find the game "very close" to the real thing.

Having talked to friends who have raced tracks such as Laguna Seca they said it is right on. Even right down to the tree you aim for at the top of the corkscrew when you cant see over the hood of your car.

I played Sega GT and the handling of the cars in that game was comic they railed corners like they were toys.