PDA

View Full Version : Is there lag on XBL and What accually caueses it???

ShaDovV RyDer
12-14-2003, 01:35 PM
ok i dont have XBL or an xbox yet for that matter but i was just wondering is there lag on there or not???....wut causes this lag?? is it the speed of ur connection like a computer game???...also i dont need like a really good video card to play the games online???sry i got so many questions but heres another one...we have a cable connection and my xbox would be up stairs in my room and the computer downstairs in the dining room...i have cable in my room but does it also give me internet service???

sry if i sound stupid i just want to no the answer b4 i even get the box cause this is one off the main reasons i wanted it...

also sry if this was supposed to go somewhere else this is just the forum i go to most often and i dont no where else to post this...pce

HellHawk
12-14-2003, 01:56 PM
hardly any lag, only lags when people host more than they can, that causes lags, or people with shtty connections.

The Jackal
12-14-2003, 06:40 PM
theres lots of lag on XBL... depends on the persons connection and what they have runnin on their computer while they are gaming... if they got somethin like kazaa goin you get mad lag... but it varies for each game

Fully_Loaded
12-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Lag is end user related, or sometimes host related. It has nothing to do with xbox-live. There are some shady cable conections out there.. and that causes a lot of problems. I'd stick with DSL as it's a private line, and your not sharing with the entire neighborhood. Ok, I am rambling, my point is that if you get lag, there is a good chance it's your connection.

SPARTAN VI
12-15-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Fully_Loaded
Lag is end user related, or sometimes host related. It has nothing to do with xbox-live. There are some shady cable conections out there.. and that causes a lot of problems. I'd stick with DSL as it's a private line, and your not sharing with the entire neighborhood. Ok, I am rambling, my point is that if you get lag, there is a good chance it's your connection.

Eh, I find it difficult to put a finger on what causes lag on XBL.... Everytime Koopa and I play PC games over the net, we're in lag free games. Koopa plays BF1942 with 64 people with NO lag at all, but when we're launched into a RTCW game with barely 8, we're laggin outta the wazoo... and this is with people that ONLY HAVE BROADBAND. Same goes with every other game. :eek:

Oh and, I have a 2mb down/ 128k up cable connection and Koopa has something around 700kb down DSL connection.

JJaX
12-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Eh, I find it difficult to put a finger on what causes lag on XBL.... Everytime Koopa and I play PC games over the net, we're in lag free games. Koopa plays BF1942 with 64 people with NO lag at all, but when we're launched into a RTCW game with barely 8, we're laggin outta the wazoo... and this is with people that ONLY HAVE BROADBAND. Same goes with every other game. :eek:

Oh and, I have a 2mb down/ 128k up cable connection and Koopa has something around 700kb down DSL connection.

When you play RTCW, who hosts?

I find most lag is caused when the host has no clue what "upload" is and attempts to host more than his connection can handle.

And please dont say the people with poor connection speeds effect you. Thats their problem, and DOES NOT MAKE THE SERVER LAG. Like someone said before, its user related. One poor client connection doesnt create lag for someone else.

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 09:38 AM
You can't really put a finger on it, if you have a fast connection and the host has good uploads then your probably going to have a no lags. It's really the same as PC, it all depends. Oh and I totally agree with whoever said that DSL is better, I've tried Cable and on prime times I got a d/l rate of 30kb/s when I should've gotten 200.

Then I tried DSL on prime times and my connection didn't change no matter what. Then again, there are alot more Cable hacks and stuff... So I don't know :)

JJaX
12-15-2003, 09:54 AM
I have DSL now, and it sucks...

ShaDovV RyDer
12-15-2003, 03:15 PM
could u guys help me by telling me how to find out how much k my connection has or like i guess thats how fast but just tell me how i can put a number in front of that...it would help me get XBL or not get it so just help me with that will ye...thnx

KillaCam
12-15-2003, 03:21 PM
its when ppl try to play on 56k i keed i keed but they have bad connections

WrathfulPoppa
12-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Question 1 was: What causes lag

Question 2 was: Can he run his internet in his room through the cable jack.

Hardware aspect: Lag is caused by several factors, the major cause is the connection speed of the person playing. DSL is a good option but you have to pay for enough bandwidth to make it worth your while. Another factor is the host's speed. The person running the server needs enough bandwidth to support the number of players he/she set it to. Try to find someone running a T3 server non-stop and add them to your friends.
Software aspect: Lag is caused when too much information is being transmitted without enough bandwidth to support it. The major cause of software lag is high-poly 3D models involved in collision events. Basically, the program needs to check if something is touching something else and in order to do this it requires much more information to be transferred in higher-poly 3D models. For example, when you're playing a shooter game and you fire at someone, the program has to check the location of all of the player's polys in concurrence with the bullet's location, hence bullet-lag.

No, you will need to buy a cable router that is supported by xbox live. To make sure your model is supported (when you buy it) check HERE (http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/start/connect/faq/routers.htm)

P.S. Yes, yes... I am back, you wouldn't believe how busy I've been since I started becoming a Staff member at OOX.

JJaX
12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ShaDovV RyDer
could u guys help me by telling me how to find out how much k my connection has or like i guess thats how fast but just tell me how i can put a number in front of that...it would help me get XBL or not get it so just help me with that will ye...thnx

Run a speed test

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

ShaDovV RyDer
12-15-2003, 03:57 PM
2003-12-15 16:52:12 EST: 1939 / 94
Your download speed : 1939721 bps, or 1939 kbps.
A 236.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 94473 bps, or 94 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

that was my score or speed which ever u prefer...is that good or bad and would it cause lag???

LTM360
12-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
I find most lag is caused when the host has no clue what "upload" is and attempts to host more than his connection can handle.

For me, thats the only time I get lag as well.

Originally posted by ShaDovV RyDer
2003-12-15 16:52:12 EST: 1939 / 94
Your download speed : 1939721 bps, or 1939 kbps.
A 236.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 94473 bps, or 94 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

that was my score or speed which ever u prefer...is that good or bad and would it cause lag???

Well, with Broadband...your never gonna cause lag cause of your speed, at least I dont think. You'll cause the lag only if you join a game which the host has no idea how many he can host (you goto a game of 11, and the host is only able to host 10).
or Your running through a router (which I do not recommend) and your running online-using programs on your computer.

monster1234
12-15-2003, 05:20 PM
I don't experience lag.

MikeMan91389
12-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by The Jackal
theres lots of lag on XBL... depends on the persons connection and what they have runnin on their computer while they are gaming... if they got somethin like kazaa goin you get mad lag... but it varies for each game

not really... no1 lags in Amped 2 and i leave AIM Kazzaa Lite Dling... and XBA chat up!

But occasionally it lags when ppl join... and i have a bad connection, and no1 ever sez lag when i play

edited sp.

No Fear 23
12-15-2003, 08:19 PM
it comes from your connection or the servers side. i dont think u'll find lag free games, so prepare to experience some lag and after a while, u'll get use to it. its no big deal for me.

Luke007
12-15-2003, 08:38 PM
lag happens when your connection cannot send packet information fast enough. but with xbox live, since it a dedicated gaming console and not for web, email, etc. it should have relatively low lag than compared to PC.

also, the graphics are less demanding on the connetion then PC games due to its low res (640 x 480, i believe) so less high res = smaller packets = less lag

Xbox Owner
12-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Just find good rooms....

SPARTAN VI
12-15-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

When you play RTCW, who hosts?

Eh, I only get lag when I'm on XBL, probably because you'll get a better ping readout when you're searching for servers in CS/BF1942 on PC instead of some general star/color scale.