PDA

View Full Version : Cel-Shading, Yes or No?

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 08:13 AM
I want to ask what you gamers think about Cel-Shaded games like XIII or JSRF. Please post pros and cons and why you chose your option. I'm voting Yes, and here's why.

Pros: Has a cheery mood in it, if they do it right it can look amazing. Usually very colorful and smooth, characters have a unique look to them and if done right it can create some awesome effects, which I think can sometimes look better than Pure 3D.

Cons: Hard to create, lots of companies get it wrong and the characters seem blocky. Could have less options than 3D. Cel-Shading isn't for everybody, lots of people don't like it while everybody agrees with full 3D.

I like Cel-Shading, it really sets games apart from others and makes them unique and if done right it come out really sweet. :cheers:

RudedogX
12-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Hell no. It's a disgusting thing to do to a game!

DOOM
12-15-2003, 09:19 AM
NoOo!;)

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Hmm... Could you post reasons for your decisions? :huh:

DOOM
12-15-2003, 09:26 AM
I Enjoy Photorealism As Compared To Cell Animation, Thats It!;)

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 09:33 AM
LOL, good answer man. Yeah, it really is a matter of taste. Thankfully it's my taste, it's probably also because of the fact that I love comics... Now that I think of it they should make all the Comic-based games Cel-Shaded.

I wonder if any game producer has thought of that :eek:

JJaX
12-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Hell no. It's a disgusting thing to do to a game!

Wait until true fantasy live online comes out.

Im sure you wont be saying that.
:cheers:

RudedogX
12-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Wait until true fantasy live online comes out.

Im sure you wont be saying that.
:cheers: That may be, but until then, I have yet to see where Cel-shading has actually made a game to really look good!

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 09:44 AM
JSRF looks tight, and it runs smoothly. Same goes for XIII, I played the demo and it looks stunning. Oh and don't forget "The Hulk" was cel-shaded, though it didn't really look like it. Judging by the screenshots, TFLO looks likes its going to be one of the best cel-shaded games ever.

Can't wait ;)

Shadow20002
12-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Well, i better have some cool graphics life-like than cel-shaded ones.

thrAsher
12-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Cel shading can give a game a look and feel that is just unique. JSRF would be half the game it is if they'd gone a more traditional route w/ the graphics. It looks great, and the cel shading just fits the game.

However, XIII, for example, did not need cel shading. I think in the case of XIII it was used half as gimmick, half as aesthetic, yet altogether unnecessary.

Personally, w/ games like TFLO looking more and more full-on cartoony, I wish that more developers would try their hand at cel shading. I think the quintessential cel-shaded game has yet to be made...

LiquidX
12-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Personally I hate cel shading. It makes it look like the developers were too lazy to work on the graphics.

Fully_Loaded
12-15-2003, 02:27 PM
I voted "It Depends" because some games have done it well (XIII) and others not so well (cel damage).

RagunCajun
12-15-2003, 02:35 PM
For driving, rpgs, sports and FPS, i dont like cell shading.

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 02:39 PM
So yeah, your basically saying you don't like it on almost ALL the possible genres eh? That's a nice way of putting it ;)

Dirty DeStrO
12-15-2003, 02:43 PM
I like the cell-shading ... its really a nice change of pace when I play XIII. I think the cell shading works out great in that game. It has the "comic book" theme that just wouldn't be the same if not for the cell shading.

mdooz
12-15-2003, 02:46 PM
I think it depends. It worked very nice for Sly Cooper and XIII, but not as well I think for Zelda:WW.

RagunCajun
12-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Sexaya
So yeah, your basically saying you don't like it on almost ALL the possible genres eh? That's a nice way of putting it ;)
Now that u say so, yeah u right man. I dont like it.:o

jelgiad
12-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by mdooz
I think it depends. It worked very nice for Sly Cooper and XIII, but not as well I think for Zelda:WW.

actually, IMO, it looked really nice in wind waker.

Sexaya
12-15-2003, 03:03 PM
I agree with jelgiad, WindWaker looks great, but then again I've always loved Zelda titles so I'm not exactly a fair judge :confused:

AlphaCigara
12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
i like cel shading because it brings style to a game. It sets that game (like Auto Modellista, JSRF, XIII, GBTG) apart from other similar ones in the genre.

ShaDovV RyDer
12-15-2003, 03:26 PM
i like it a lot because some games were just made to look that way and others werent...i cant say that i like cell-shading better than full 3D but i like it a lot...basically because it was something new and really colorful...it kinda makes me feel like im spongebob...pce

Shorezy
12-15-2003, 03:36 PM
I thought i would HATE cel-shaded until I played JSRF. It makes things feel soo sweet. Nice change from time to time. But I mean, as for those who don't, first of all try it if you havn't you may be surprised, and if you don't and you have tried it, wait for a game like True Fantasy Live Online. You may have second thoughts.

ghost 009
12-15-2003, 03:50 PM
I dont want Perfect Dark to be cell shaded. It'll be ***.

HellHawk
12-15-2003, 03:57 PM
hell no!

Trento52
12-15-2003, 04:52 PM
I love JSRF and i think if it matches teh game go for it. It also makes the game more unique and catches my eye. I would never have even checked out JSRF or go go hyper grind if they didn't have it.. I like it and it catches my attentiona nd adds a cool feeling if they do it really good with lots of detail. Great photrealistic graphics are nice but for more serious game IMO.

CMX Jedi
12-15-2003, 04:56 PM
it realy depends on what kind of game it is
in games like wind waker and JSRF its allright
i didnt think that a FPS whould work but XIII proved me wrong.
but in a raceing game it wont work at all.

monster1234
12-15-2003, 05:20 PM
I hate almost every cel-shaded game.

mmichael0
12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
I like cel-shaded, if it suits the game of course & done right.

JSRF, Zelda Wind Waker are both done right.
I have not played XIII, but it looks quite good ?
:cheers:
So I like it :)

JonTheCanuck
12-15-2003, 07:01 PM
i personally hate cell shading. Looks like crap imo. Its just too cartoony. I dunno, not my thing. Cant explain y, but i dont like it.

RagunCajun
12-16-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Butterz
I dont want Perfect Dark to be cell shaded. It'll be ***.
If that happens, im not buying it. I wanna beat the meat(simulant) in real 3d graphics.

Cryogenic Pyro
12-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Cel shading works, and it doesn't work. Cel shading adds a certain feel to the game that normal 3D just doesn't. In some cases it works, and in others it doesn't.

Cel shading more often works in far out games, not ones that are supposed to be more realistic. JSRF comes to mind. XIII isn't all that realistic either, but it can't be, or the cel shading would be quite out of place.

Cel shading when used properly is good. Otherwise, it's bad.

There hasn't been a cel shaded game for the Xbox that is a must buy. I think there should be one.

adillon
12-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Sexaya
it really sets games apart from others and makes them unique and if done right it come out really sweet. :cheers:
i couldn't agree more, but i still voted that it depends. if every game developer decided to make their next project cell-shaded, then we'd lose the uniqueness that would be brought to the table.

i see it more as a novelty. some games (like XIII and the hulk) can get away with it because that's the concept from the get-go. other games (such as tron 2.0 and halo) just wouldn't be as stunning and breathtaking if they 'limited' themselves to being cell-shaded.

FragMaster B
12-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Im not a fan at all of the whole cell shading gimmik. I haven't seen XIII yet tho and I here it does it as best as its been done.

FaTeL DeAtH
12-21-2003, 09:47 PM
celshading really depends on the game. like jet set radio future...that game is really great and i like it selshaded...

xbox genius
12-21-2003, 10:57 PM
hmm i experienced only 1 game with cel shading.. and thats cel damage... i loved it! it gives the game a more cartoonish feeling... thats bad in some ways... i dont want serious games like halo, rainbow 6, splinter cell (haha) to become cel shaded.... it will ruin gameplay and make the game a bit... kiddish... i admit tho, cel shading graphics for kiddish multiplayer games such as monkey ball or mario party would be great!

cel shading ruins gameplay such as in splinter cell if it ever had cel shading... man that would be horrible....

anyways... i think cel shading should stay in multiplayer purpose games such as mario party, fuzion frenzy and all that .... and serious games stay 3d.

KMSENSEI
12-21-2003, 11:24 PM
I'm not a fan, but i think it worked well on Robotech. It also seems to work well with most comic book based games. Still I believe it is used way too othen. Good question. :confused:

Liquid Gears
12-21-2003, 11:36 PM
It's true, it is the lazy way out of working on graphics. I can't lie, I like it but yeah it does depend on the game.

ShannonX
12-24-2003, 07:00 PM
actually, cell shading is much more of a resource hog than normal graphics. Its harder to make a good looking game wich cell shading. So I wouldn't call it the lazy way out.

Yankeez
12-24-2003, 10:20 PM
i wouldnt enjoy a cell shaded football game

J Dub
12-24-2003, 11:10 PM
I think it looks to cartoony, however in some situations that might be what the developer is going for.

I voted for "it depends".

ShannonX
12-24-2003, 11:10 PM
neither would i, but XIII was pretty fun even with the cell shading. it wasn't the end all be all of games, but it was a fun game. which reminds me, i need to finish it... hmm, tomorrow i have all day. =)