PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS my a** .................

Vteck3000
01-02-2002, 03:52 PM
Well i went to my local rental store today to see if they had received any new games for my XBOX. And of course i over heard some people talk about the XBOX. Anyways the guy said " thank god i don't own one of those .......... apparently people have fun installing viruses in the XBOX when the people go online .......... bunch of idiots.......... PS2 will never go online and thats why "
Know is this true that hackers or other people can put viruses on the XBOX because it's like a mini computer or is this total bull#$%* ???????????????????
Thank you :D

P.S. also can anyone tell me why it wouldn't be possible ????

mattcoxonline
01-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Bullsh*te....

Does Xbox have a firewall - or would that just make it too much of a PC??

l Maximus l
01-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Vteck3000
Well i went to my local rental store today to see if they had received any new games for my XBOX. And of course i over heard some people talk about the XBOX. Anyways the guy said " thank god i don't own one of those .......... apparently people have fun installing viruses in the XBOX when the people go online .......... bunch of idiots.......... PS2 will never go online and thats why "
Know is this true that hackers or other people can put viruses on the XBOX because it's like a mini computer or is this total bull#$%* ???????????????????
Thank you :D

P.S. also can anyone tell me why it wouldn't be possible ????

lol, it's a bunch of crap, as you know. The only way a computer, for instance, can get a virus is if they download software. The XBox doesn't download software! lol...so, you are hearing a bunch of PoS2 bunk :rolleyes:

What will we hear next? lol....dude, don't worry, you are in the clear, buddy :D

monkeyman
01-02-2002, 04:10 PM
yeah its a lie

Big Ben
01-02-2002, 04:34 PM
I too believe it's false.

However, contrary to Maximus's idea that the Xbox does not download software, that does not mean it can't get a virus off the net. If (and this is a big if)...

IF Microsoft put an option to get data from or send data to the Xbox, someone may have already found a way to exploit this. It's certainly a fact that people have been cracking the system since it's release (and possibly before), so while it's almost definitely a load of buffalo chips, it's possible for the Xbox to get a virus.

Now if this were something actually going on, I'm sure Clinton would be hitting on Aliens who have cigars with Laura Bush right now in the back room of the White House (the one Bush doesn't know about).

-Big Ben

terrapin
01-02-2002, 05:04 PM
Big Ben is correct in that viruses don't have to be downloaded or even installed to be effective they just have to be executed. I would think a tunneling program like Gamespot's Gamespy would be a good target for hackers to attempt passing viruses through. They could use that program to send bogus packets to your Xbox erasing your game saves or something else.

xBoXGaMeR2002
01-02-2002, 05:38 PM
I think they were talking loud enough so everyone would hear. **** fanboys.

Well, today a POS2 fanboy comes up to me and says "Did you return your X-Box yet." I"m like no, why would I? and he says "cause there is a recall of them since they are burning down houses", and Im like who told you, and he said "they told me at ebgames", I pick up my cellphone, call ebgames, and ask them about it, the guy on the phone tells me that he doesn't know what I'm talking about and there was no recall.

I *****slap the POS2 ******* and leave.

Frostberg
01-02-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by terrapin
Big Ben is correct in that viruses don't have to be downloaded or even installed to be effective they just have to be executed. I would think a tunneling program like Gamespot's Gamespy would be a good target for hackers to attempt passing viruses through. They could use that program to send bogus packets to your Xbox erasing your game saves or something else.

You have excellent points, but the reason Im not concerned is this...It would seem to me this would be hard. It seems like it would take too much time. Now a real "hacker" wouldnt be interested in erasing your games. He wants your credit card numbers and such. I dont think anyone would want to send a "virus" to your XBox just so they can be "HA I erased your games" If there was such a real threat, GameSpy wouldnt still have up their software, and I would be buying a memory card. I would just think a hacker would have more fun doing something else, do a DDoS attack on Amazon or something...even the most Anti-MS hacker would rather want passwords to some MS computers or something. I dunno, maybe my eyes arent open enough but I feel that there is no threat at all for this sort of thing.

Vteck3000
01-02-2002, 06:41 PM
But that program that you have to download from GAMESPOT.......... do you download it to your XBOX or your PC ??????? If you download it to your XBOX don't you think their might be a problem later on in the future ????????

xBoXGaMeR2002
01-02-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Vteck3000
But that program that you have to download from GAMESPOT.......... do you download it to your XBOX or your PC ??????? If you download it to your XBOX don't you think their might be a problem later on in the future ????????

You download it to your computer...

xboxman_1
01-02-2002, 08:55 PM
Sorry since this is off the virus topic, but has anyone heard of xbox's catching on fire???? I've had three differnet people tell me this, and everytime i tell them it's total b*llsh*t. Anyone else here crap like this?

Frostberg
01-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Yeah its "total b*llsh*t" Theres nothing to catch on fire...Maybe if you have a few aerosol cans around your Xbox and leave an everlasting flame nearby your Xbox along with some clothes it could catch on fire...but it isint gonna magically burst into flames...Has your computer ever done that? If it hasnt theres no way your Xbox will

LynxFX
01-02-2002, 09:23 PM
The xbox is as much a PC as the PS2 and Gamecube and Dreamcast are PCs.

You will never be able to have a virus that affects the xbox's os though since it is burnt to ROM. That doesn't mean that it can't get a virus (no one knows that yet).

StUmPy01
01-02-2002, 09:40 PM
the reason xbox cant get viruses is #1, how in the hell would you program one with a god **** video game controller? #2 the xbox doesnt read burnt cd's, so you couldnt burn a virus onto a cd and put it on there that way

LynxFX
01-02-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by StUmPy01
the reason xbox cant get viruses is #1, how in the hell would you program one with a god **** video game controller? #2 the xbox doesnt read burnt cd's, so you couldnt burn a virus onto a cd and put it on there that way

Actually that isn't entirely true.

1) They would be coded on computers after crackers break the encryption scheme. They are getting close on that.

2) Most cdr's yes it wont read. cdrw's it does read.

3) you didn't have a three but I will add that being online opens up some new doors. The xbox has to be communicating with something out there and that could be a security risk...although quite small.

terrapin
01-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Frostberg, I agree with you that creating a virus for the Xbox is probably very low on the priority list for a hacker. But I am concerned about those hackers/fanatics who dislike the Xbox and want to see it fail. What better way to raise doubt and cause problems then creating a virus. I can see all the fanboys screaming "see I told you the Xbox sux. It can get viruses. PS2/GC is better!" Though, I also have to admit that this is also very unlikely to happen.

Hugh_Jass
01-03-2002, 11:35 AM
We know at least part of the OS lives on ROM. But I remember reading somewhere that there is a dedicated parition on the hard drive for "system files". Now this could be as simple as a place to store the time and date. It could also be a place where updates to the ROM are downloaded so the ROM can be flashed/upgraded during the next power cycle.

I have a really hard time believing that MS gave us a truly sealed system. Any time you leave a door open, no matter how well protected, there is the possibility of intrusion.

It wouldn't hurt to invest in a firewall. All broadband users should have them anyway.

terrapin
01-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
It wouldn't hurt to invest in a firewall. All broadband users should have them anyway.

That's great advice! Hopefully people will invest in them and save themselves a lot of future grief and hassles.

DIGITAL
01-03-2002, 12:51 PM
First of when microsoft does go online it will have its own sever,only for xboxs not pcs an the only people online will have an xbox,an i know i wouldnt **** with anyone else baby!allso i heard a rumor from ps2 fans saying the xbox is blowing up tvs yeah my ass

DIGITAL
01-03-2002, 12:54 PM
an all they do is make **** up to make there system look good,but they to face the fact that xbox is funner ,better looking an more powerful then a piece of **** 2

l Maximus l
01-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by DIGITAL
First of when microsoft does go online it will have its own sever,only for xboxs not pcs an the only people online will have an xbox,an i know i wouldnt **** with anyone else baby!allso i heard a rumor from ps2 fans saying the xbox is blowing up tvs yeah my ass

Exactly, dude! It's not as if people are going to hook up their computers to an XBox forum and attach to the server...maybe it's possible, but, I don't find it very likely to be possible...it will take a long time if it is. And, even if people were desperate enough to try it and actually succeed, that's what firewalls are for and exactly what Hugh_Jass pointed out.

By the way, Hugh...I can't get over your nickname, dude! lol...it sounds like "Huge Ass" :D

LynxFX
01-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Hugh_Jass,

You bring up a good point. I wonder if MS will have the xbox download an app that will flash the bios or ROM chip. Of course for hackers to create their own flasher it wouldn't be that easy. There has to be some form of encryption or protection scheme working here. I also don't know how easy it is to write something to flash a ROM chip, especially one that isn't your standard PC type.

Microsoft's online network will probably work off of your xbox's mac address. I'm sure there is a database out there that MS has for every xbox mac addy. This would be the easiest way to prevent most hackers from 'logging on', wouldn't it?

I'm not worried in the long run though. The Xbox is a great console and for once I actually have some faith in MS. :eek:

Snoopy7548
01-03-2002, 02:53 PM
my xbox got a virus. whenever i turn it on, it shows bill gates naked on a big pile of money :(

Big Ben
01-03-2002, 03:07 PM
When Xbox goes online, they will be connected to a PC and Mac enabled forum, just like the Dreamcast was. The reason: Cross-platform, internet multi-player.

Medal of Honor is the first game set to take advantage of that.

-Big Ben

MaxPain
01-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Big Ben
When Xbox goes online, they will be connected to a PC and Mac enabled forum, just like the Dreamcast was. The reason: Cross-platform, internet multi-player.

Medal of Honor is the first game set to take advantage of that.

-Big Ben

I thought that game sucked beyond anything else... until I played Kabuki Warriors...*sigh* :D

SciFi
01-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Do you think we will e able to download demos or extras for games to our Xbox???

MaxPain
01-03-2002, 03:13 PM
We can allready down demo's to our computers, so why xbox? I doubt the extra on games thing.... but I bet there will be a way to transfer.

terrapin
01-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SciFi
Do you think we will e able to download demos or extras for games to our Xbox???

I hope so. I am optimissic that my Demo CD from OXM will contain team/roster updates for NFL Fever 2002. :)

Hugh_Jass
01-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

Microsoft's online network will probably work off of your xbox's mac address. I'm sure there is a database out there that MS has for every xbox mac addy. This would be the easiest way to prevent most hackers from 'logging on', wouldn't it?

The XBOX will be eventually be hacked and someone will load Linux (or some other OS) on it. At this point the hacker will have a computer with a valid mac address. Alternately, someone could get their hands on an official developer debug kit and use that to get into the network.

However, I don't think people need to worry about it much. I believe MS will be very vigilant in protecting us and patching problems as soon as they are discovered. I'm sure they are already planning countermeasures against hackers.

Vteck3000
01-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Well i got the new OXM today and this is what they say. The hard disc inside the XBOX is separated in 2. One is for saving games and for music and the other part is for the games that we play. These two parts will never come into contact with each other or they will never opparate with each other. Because of that you have no need the SCAN DISC or to DEFRAGMENT THE DISC or will ever ever ever get any VIRUS.

On another note. The only way to get a developers XBOX kit is to be an offialy licensed developer and to get the kit you need to purchase it for $10 000 U.S.

:D

Hugh_Jass
01-05-2002, 06:00 PM
A disk partition does nothing to protect hard drives from a virus. Just because game data is saved on one partition and music is saved on another doesn't mean the partition is completely isolated. The operating system has access to all partitions. If it didn't there would be no way to retrieve game data or music files. If a virus attacks the operating system nothing is safe.

Vteck3000
01-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Then your saying that an XBOX virus is possible and that the OXM explaination is totally false ????????? I'm not trying to insult you here ( cause i don't know if you know alot about the XBOX ) but don't you think OXM knows whats happening under the hood of the XBOX and that they are right saying that NO virus will ever be possible. :confused:

Hugh_Jass
01-05-2002, 10:26 PM
I haven't seen the OXM article myself but if that is really what they say then it's a good reason to not trust or read the OXM.

MS wants people to be confident in the XBOX and not worry about a virus. Well, XP was supposed to be the most robust MS OS and look how fast they found a catastrophic hole in that.

If there is one thing we've learned it is that no system is completely secure. I'm sure MS did everything they could think of to prevent malicious tampering. It may be a very long time before the XBOX is understood completely by the crackers. Statistically, the likelihood of an XBOX virus increases over time until it reaches 100%.

It will happen. The only way to minimize your exposure is to only load commercial media (CD, DVD) and keep the XBOX off the Internet (or at least use a firewall). Many people will consider becoming infected with a virus an acceptable risk because the preventive measures interfere with the enjoyment factor.

The bottom line is that a virus will exist eventually but don't let that stop you from having fun now.

LynxFX
01-05-2002, 11:33 PM
I have to go with Hugh_Jass on this one. Why can't OXM be wrong? Half the gaming magazines have been wrong on many many issues about the xbox. Some claiming that when you get the HD pack all games can be played in HD and support widescreen.

But that aside, I don't really trust that info since the folks over at xboxhacker have imaged the xbox harddrive and found 4 partitions, not 2. 3 had previous game caches and the last was saved games and soundtracks.

Kinda makes you think.

Frostberg
01-09-2002, 09:38 PM
You would think that OXM would have some kind of inside information, being it is the "Official" Xbox Magazine...but they are just like any other Mag...

Vteck3000
01-09-2002, 09:53 PM
I guess we have to go with Hugh_Jass on one point.......... KEEP THE XBOX OFF LINE if we don't want to be infected in the future. Other than that i think that the OXM is a really good magazine. I personaly haven't heard anything about the XBOX supporting widescreen or other jibberish of that sort. I think the guys at OXM know what their talking about and they have the liberty to write what they know and what they feel. They maybe paid by the BIG BOSS upstairs but they still live in a freedom society where they can express their opinions and ideas :D