PDA

View Full Version : Hooking Up surround sound

ctu3308
12-21-2003, 12:25 PM
I just bought the microsoft advance av pack and I'm trying to hook the xbox up to my surround sound system. It says you need to hook an optical cable up to the surround sound system but I don't think I have a place on the surround sound system you can plug an optical cable to. Can I still get surround sound somehow or do I need to get a new surround sound system?

l Maximus l
12-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, if you just got the Surround Sound System and it doesn't have an optical input, I would exchange it...because, yes, it's true, you need an Optical cable to get true 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound.

Technically, you can hook the red and white audio cables into it, however, that only provides analogue stereo (left and right). It's not nearly as good, however, if you are stuck with your current system, then, that's how you do it. Just don't hook the audio cables to your TV...just use the receiver instead.

By the way, welcome to XBA! :)

Zion
12-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Yeah you can't get the digital surround without having the digital cable hooked up.

MikeMan91389
12-30-2003, 06:26 PM
What does an optical cable look like??? Please help me :)

RagunCajun
12-30-2003, 09:05 PM
I hooked up my surround sound using the white and red cables. So ahhhhhh...... m kinda lost now. I do have the s-video monster cables for my xbox though. Would that work or are my regular cables better.

l Maximus l
12-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389
What does an optical cable look like??? Please help me :)

http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/l_ht180.gif

RagunCajun
12-31-2003, 11:13 PM
How is that hooked up to the xbox?

MikeMan91389
01-01-2004, 07:46 AM
good question... but im way confused, but happy too, cuz i hooked mine in the back with the red and white, without the advanced a/v or optical... i no that should only give u left and right, but i fooled around with the sound mode, and then BAMM, it came out all 5 speakers, and i could hear the things in the back in the back speakers and everything!!! yay- wow, i dont no how this could have worked... maybe it isnt, and i think it is lmao

OC Noob
01-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389
good question... but im way confused, but happy too, cuz i hooked mine in the back with the red and white, without the advanced a/v or optical... i no that should only give u left and right, but i fooled around with the sound mode, and then BAMM, it came out all 5 speakers, and i could hear the things in the back in the back speakers and everything!!! yay- wow, i dont no how this could have worked... maybe it isnt, and i think it is lmao

You'll get sound out of all 5 speakers (and a sub if you have one) and you'll get sound effects that go from front to back or visa versa, BUT you won't get the left to right, just right, just left and all the other lateral (I think thats the right word) stuff that 5.1 sound offers. You are in Dolby Suround sound, but not Dolby Digital with the red & white cables.

To add to the digital sound hook ups, there is also an orange non-optical cable that will give digital sound, but I don't think anyone offers that kind of audio hook up for the Xbox.

You need to buy one of the Xbox hook up kits that has the optical audio cable or one that allows you to hook an optical audio cable into it like the Monsters or the Mad Catz kits. I recommend the Mad Catz one because it is only $30 and offers all sorts of audio and video outputs (jacks)... every output except the orange 5.1 cable output I mentioned.