PDA

View Full Version : Is Manhunt going to far?

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 04:47 PM
the latest game from Rockstar, yet another controversial game. GTA was alright but damm don't keep on with more violence. children will play manhunt and think they are in deadly game as the game suggests, except they won't be able to dinstinguish reliaty from fiction. come save our children enough of all this mad violence. :mad:

what u guys think, are u on my side or Rockstars'
oh and don't tell me its not their fault because retailers should not sell it to kids etc. if it is made, they will some how get thier hands on it period.

Sexaya
12-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Oh, come on!

except they won't be able to dinstinguish reliaty from fiction

Kids aren't that stupid, even 7 year olds know the difference between TV/Video games and reality. And besides nobody under the age of 10 probably wont play the game, and personally I think 10 is an age where you know the different between Video games and reality!

The only way a game could influence someone was if someone had a really serious mental problem, which in that case shouldn't be allowed to play ANY games.

Come on, this is just bs. :cuss:

George89
12-21-2003, 05:05 PM
I dont think that stores sell M rated games to people under 17 or whatever the age is. I went to the store and I'm under 17 and they always ask me for my parents to come and say the game is ok.

ShaDovV RyDer
12-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Again this is one of those cases where there needs to be a rating between M and T...like nowadays if games have guns in them they r rated T hands down...then if they also have real looking blood they are rated M...there needs to be a place for games that have a point for shooting someone like in Counter Strike u shoot ppl to stop them from A: planting a bomb or B: rescuing hostages...i dont no much about manhunt but from screenshots it looks like a game where u kill ppl for no apparent reason except to have fun...in this case it should be rated M and be out of reach to most ages...the only reason ppl buy these games is to have a little bit of fun and most M games r fun but if there was a rating in-between maybe ppl would think that fun games r the ones with that rating and only adults would buy M games and all others would buy the middle rated games...man im confusing myself...neways there NEEDS to be another rating PERIOD

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 05:23 PM
[Sexaya Oh, come on! ]

apparently, you've not been hearing the children going about killing people and blaming it on the fact that they were influenced by games like GTA. i am sure u know about the incident where two kids shot a guy dead on the highway and ontop of that the parents blamed the fault on the retailers. why should it come to this. trust me either they don't know the difference between reality and fiction or they are just directly pressured to do so. come rockstar GTA was kinda ok on the border line but damm it MANHUNT is going waaaaaay too far. "cool your jets man":cuss:

The.Prophet
12-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Sexaya
Oh, come on!

Kids aren't that stupid, even 7 year olds know the difference between TV/Video games and reality. And besides nobody under the age of 10 probably wont play the game, and personally I think 10 is an age where you know the different between Video games and reality!

The only way a game could influence someone was if someone had a really serious mental problem, which in that case shouldn't be allowed to play ANY games.

Come on, this is just bs. :cuss:

Amen! I tryed to voice my opionion but every other word was a curse..
I agree with your comment.,

ShannonX
12-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by blackiee2002

apparently, you've not been hearing the children going about killing people and blaming it on the fact that they were influenced by games like GTA. i am sure u know about the incident where two kids shot a guy dead on the highway and ontop of that the parents blamed the fault on the retailers. why should it come to this. trust me either they don't know the difference between reality and fiction or they are just directly pressured to do so. come rockstar GTA was kinda ok on the border line but damm it MANHUNT is going waaaaaay too far. "cool your jets man":cuss:

its called saying what their lawyer told them to say to keep their ass out of prison.

And perhaps the parents should actually start being parents and take the time to see what their children are actually doing when they are cooped up in their room for hours each day. Maybe if the parents had done their job, none of that would have happened.

DocHoliday78
12-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Its a videogame, not real life. If as a parent you can not teach your child the diffrence between real life and a simulation then there is a problem with either the parent or the childs mind. There is always some game that makes people say its taking it to far. I rember when the doom series came out people were shocked how graphic it was. Now we have postal 2 where you light people on fire and pee on them. I am tired of individuals using videogames as their perfect scapegoat to lower the sentence or perhaps get them off the hook.

ScorpionX
12-21-2003, 06:02 PM

Apparantly you are mistaken if you think that one isolated incident warrants you to believe it is all the video games fault, and even the retailers :eek: The ERSB system does a fine job of not letting 10 year olds buy ultra-violent games.

E Nomini Patri
12-21-2003, 06:04 PM

All kids were F'ed up before they even started playing games if they do stuff like that. A game doesn't make a normally sane person decide it would be fun to go out and "play GTA" around their neighborhood. Ya gotta be real dumb for that to happen, as was in this case. So don't blame games for influencing a persons already extremely crappy intelligence when this stuff happens.

RagunCajun
12-21-2003, 06:08 PM
the latest game from Rockstar, yet another controversial game. GTA was alright but damm don't keep on with more violence. children will play manhunt and think they are in deadly game as the game suggests, except they won't be able to dinstinguish reliaty from fiction. come save our children enough of all this mad violence. :mad:
I see where you are going. The thing you over looked or chose not to address is the M rating. You have to be a certain age to buy this game. If a parent thinks their child can handle the game and are mature enough, then fine. It is the parent call if the person isnt old enough to buy it.

I do not think any game goes to far. The rating on the game is there for a good reason. Either way if something does happen(i hope it doesnt), it's not the game makers fault.

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 06:13 PM
It looks like its not real or its non fiction till one day, it happens right infront of you and you go :huh: look come guys you mean to tell me that kids don't get thier hands on these games if they want to? teens will do anything if they want to. heck tell them they can't do something and they will do everything to prove you wrong; they sneek into an R rated movie to even coercing thier parents to buy them an M rated game. who is to blame here?

no game should be made where u go about killing just for killing sake. there must be a good story behind it like HALO for instance, even though it is M rated i actually beleive that it is one game that should have been E because of the story behind it.
while i am at it :cheers: to BUNGIE

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 06:16 PM
[I see where you are going. The thing you over looked or chose not to address is the M rating. You have to be a certain age to buy this game. If a parent thinks their child can handle the game and are mature enough, then fine. It is the parent call if the person isnt old enough to buy it.]

read my above post

ScorpionX
12-21-2003, 06:19 PM
It looks like its not real or its non fiction till one day, it happens right infront of you and you go :huh: look come guys you mean to tell me that kids don't get thier hands on these games if they want to? teens will do anything if they want to. heck tell them they can't do something and they will do everything to prove you wrong; they sneek into an R rated movie to even coercing thier parents to buy them an M rated game. who is to blame here?

no game should be made where u go about killing just for killing sake. there must be a good story behind it like HALO for instance, even though it is M rated i actually beleive that it is one game that should have been E because of the story behind it.
while i am at it :cheers: to BUNGIE

You still have not proved that video games can make children more violent. And who is to blame? It's the parents fault for not bothering to take a look at the ESRB rating on the bottom of the case. You've been watching a little too much CNN :watchout:

RagunCajun
12-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Good point but violence sells. You are right, teens can and will do anything. Then it comes down to the retailers responcibilty to check them. Then again, it always goes back to the game makers in the end cuz they make it.

I dont have children. If i do one day and a game cuases them to hurt someone or get hurt, ill change my mind most likley. By then it is too late. In my final thought on this post, i accept violent games.

edit* Also violence and sex is all around us today. It is in radio, music, tv, games. You cant escape it. Parents today can only try their best and hope it is enough.

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 06:27 PM
[RagunCajun Good point but violence sells. You are right, teens can and will do anything. Then it comes down to the retailers responcibilty to check them. Then again, it always goes back to the game makers in the end cuz they make it. ]

i like your reasoning; it always goes back to the makers. they get the glory, therefore they will share in the gore. yes violence sells but shouldn't there be a line where even Rockstar shouldn't cross because of money?

FaTeL DeAtH
12-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Manhunt is just freakin awesome. I cant wait till it comes to xbox. Its defenetely not a kidz game but for the people that are old enough to play it then i defenetely reccomend it. Its gory, bloody and just kicks an unbelieveable amount of ass but theres only one problem. Manhunt is on the worst system out... "P.O.S 2"
Wich stands for Piece of **** 2.

:cheers:

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 08:32 PM
the violence is just pointless

Nameless
12-21-2003, 08:33 PM

apparently, you've not been hearing the children going about killing people and blaming it on the fact that they were influenced by games like GTA. i am sure u know about the incident where two kids shot a guy dead on the highway and ontop of that the parents blamed the fault on the retailers. why should it come to this. trust me either they don't know the difference between reality and fiction or they are just directly pressured to do so. come rockstar GTA was kinda ok on the border line but damm it MANHUNT is going waaaaaay too far. cool your jets mancuss:
Those kids are retards in the first place. Not to mention they were raised by ****ty parents, who just use media as a scapegoat for their incompetence.

I'm not one of those people who thinks the violence in media drives people to kill each other. I say if playing a violent video game, listening to violent lyrics, reading violent books, or watching violent TV shows and movies make you wanna kill someone, do the world a favour and start with yourself.

Sigma
12-21-2003, 08:43 PM
JESUS F**KIN CHRIST! Get your thumb out of your ass and realize that it is just a video game. People just use video game violance as an excuse to what they have done. If a parent doesn't want to expose their kids to violent games then they can read the rating on the front and back of every single video game out on the market.

l Maximus l
12-21-2003, 08:44 PM
People just need to understand that when a person is playing a video game, you're essentially putting yourself in a place that you are not. Take these as an example:

Rallisport Challenge: When I play this game, I am a champion Rally car racer. Am I in real life? Of course not.

Halo: The year is 2552 and I am the Master Chief heading up the Marines to rid the world of the evil Covenant and Flood to save the universe. Am I in real life? Of course not.

ESPN Football: I am a professional NFL football player representing my city for the United States of America. Am I in real life? Of course not.

I mean, virtually every game can be used as an example...this includes Manhunt and GTA. They are no different. But, do I think that a 7 year old should play these? Probably not...and it's likely that they won't have much interest. Kids generally like happy stuff...colorful things. Not dreary and senseless killing.

xbox genius
12-21-2003, 08:47 PM

oh and don't tell me its not their fault because retailers should not sell it to kids etc. if it is made, they will some how get thier hands on it period.

well i dont think games go too far, games are made to be played they way they are built... in manhunt, man this game is sooo graphic and violent... but still some very mature adults like these kind of games.... those who shouldnt buy the games are those who cant tell right from wrong.... i mean you know when you play this game are you gonna go out and do the same thing? no... how about your children? no cuz you will keep them away....

thats it.... if you dont want your own children playing it, keep track of their games.... (my parents are somewhat like this, but still.... they let me have GTA... and GTA wasnt even that bad)

its just games... and i'm pretty sure kids know the difference from reality and video games.... if not.. then i dont think parents did good enough job rearing their kids

EDIT: Rearing as in raising the child... not hittin or whippin if it might cause you guys some confusion

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 08:59 PM
i don't mine if adults play the game and realise what they are doing. but teens try to copy and enact what they see. dont tell me your not influenced by the tv or the games you buy.

example the ads; why do you think companies, except MICROSOFT, spend millions in ads to get to people. because what people see, they want to do and teens try and goes far off board. it may have different effects on different age groups but still, the tendency is there to go off board. all i am saying is that even if there is guns and stuff it should be at least justified, like halo, not going about killing pointlessly as in Manhunt.

this world is full of hardships and if teens are exposed to this, then when they face problems they are unable to solve, they feel the world is against them and do stupid things that they see and do in tv/games

u can put guns and gore if u want but make sure it is justified.

Nameless
12-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Kids should be exposed to the hardships of the world you little twit! This is the time when we experience things, learn from them and grow. If we don't, imagine how we'd react once we got into the real world all by ourselves?

O yea, adults do stupid things too. Try not to group teens as helpless and pitiful buddy.

ScorpionX
12-21-2003, 09:18 PM
this world is full of hardships and if teens are exposed to this, then when they face problems they are unable to solve, they feel the world is against them and do stupid things that they see and do in tv/games

What in the world are you talking about? Most people here including me have been playing violent games for a long ass time. Just because a couple idiots kill someone cause they saw it in GTA does not prove a person is going to go on a killing spree when facing a problem :rolleyes:

Papke
12-21-2003, 10:29 PM
What it all comes down to is...

if a kid plays a game and then ends up getting himself killed because of some related incident, you have to question how far he would have made it in the first place. I don't want to say that people deserve to die for doing something that stupid, but I'm sure Darwin has a special place on his list for each and every one of them.

Video games are not to blame, stupidity is.

Cryogenic Pyro
12-21-2003, 10:44 PM
i don't mine if adults play the game and realise what they are doing. but teens try to copy and enact what they see. dont tell me your not influenced by the tv or the games you buy.

example the ads; why do you think companies, except MICROSOFT, spend millions in ads to get to people. because what people see, they want to do and teens try and goes far off board. it may have different effects on different age groups but still, the tendency is there to go off board. all i am saying is that even if there is guns and stuff it should be at least justified, like halo, not going about killing pointlessly as in Manhunt.

Hey, guess what :D? I'm a teen. Guess what else? I don't try to re-enact everything I see. Guess why? I'm not stupid.

If you'd quit stereotyping teens for a second, and actually took a second to look at the big picture you'd find that you have contradicted yourself.

What about when teens sneak into R rated movies, and get games how they want? You reared on and on about how they shouldn't make games like these because teens can get their hands on them. Teens can sneak into R rated movies that are worse than these video games, yet, you haven't said anything about them. If we really try to re-enact everything we see, then why don't you think movies corrupt us, and just games do?

I've been playing games like Diablo since I was around 8 years old, maybe a bit younger. Have I ever once felt like I wanted to kill someone? Yea, and same with everyone else. Have I ever acted on that feeling? No, and I never would, because I'd never want to take someones life away, just because they may have made me angry. I also have never had the urge to go into an area and kill random people.

Stupidity and bad parenting is at the root of this, not the video games.

This will be the quote to end this all, and the quote is by me, remember it, and use it. Video games are meant to be played, not lived.

JJaX
12-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Its a video game. If you didnt raise your child to understand the difference between REAL and FAKE. DON'T BUY THE GAME FOR HIM/HER.

Papke
12-21-2003, 11:21 PM
http://www.tazmanland.com/pubshared/haha_internet1.jpg

AmpedRider
12-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Its fine...But stores about selling games to minors, Im 15 and I havent been asked for an ID once. They let me buy anything at places such as EB, Best Buy , Circuit City.

blackiee2002
12-21-2003, 11:59 PM
[If you'd quit stereotyping teens for a second, and actually took a second to look at the big picture you'd find that you have contradicted yourself.]

[What about when teens sneak into R rated movies, and get games how they want? You reared on and on about how they shouldn't make games like these because teens can get their hands on them. Teens can sneak into R rated movies that are worse than these video games, yet, you haven't said anything about them. If we really try to re-enact everything we see, then why don't you think movies corrupt us, and just games do]

did u forget about columbine where they copied the MATRIX and went on a shooting rampage. ya teens copy what they see and do on tv/games. people should be more aggressive on those issuies

T-FiNGeR
12-22-2003, 12:15 AM

i am sure u know about the incident where two kids shot a guy dead on the highway and ontop of that the parents blamed the fault on the retailers.

I think that both the children and the parents obviously have SERIOUS mental problems to do such things as kill som1 because of seeing it in a game, and then blaming the companies! First of all, kids that dont know the difference between life and game should be put into a mental hospital( unless under 10), and parents should not allow kids to play games that are not "good" for kids under 10. If you ask me, it was the retarded kids AND parents fault of actions like that... the parents were dumb enough to not watch over their children. You can usually tell if a child has bad enough problems, that they would kill a person... I am fed up with these kinds of topics about video games! Games are supposed to be enjoyable to people.... and parents complaining about these games piss me off! Obviously if your child has problems, dont let him/her play violent games... there's ur answer to all those retarded parents that do not know how to take care of their mental case kids! My parents have ALWAYS been there for me, and they have always brielfy checked the games I played when I was around 6-12. They werent too paranoid about my games cuz they knew I could and did understand life from video games... If a parents notices their child has problems, then they should monitor their games until they know forsure they are not gonna commit actions of violence or "replay" their actions from games in real life. I hope these retarded parents stop complaining to companies about how games are "TOO VIOLENT".... if it's too violent, then dont let ur kids play the game and shut the **** up!! :cuss:

Cryogenic Pyro
12-22-2003, 01:15 AM

did u forget about columbine where they copied the MATRIX and went on a shooting rampage. ya teens copy what they see and do on tv/games. people should be more aggressive on those issuies
I'm sure that's what they, or their parents said. But like other people have already stated, it's to save their ass some. They know how to handle the situation.

You know what people who think irrationally and know how to handle pretty much any situation are called? Psychopaths.

These guys are probably psychopaths, and almost all of these people who were doing the shootings were so called nerds. Since they are psychopaths, they think irrationally and think that killing the people causing them emotinal harm is the best thing to do. They then keep their cool during the situation, and blame video games/movies or something else to keep from getting jailed, or to shorten their sentence.

And, you are still stereotyping. You are saying every teen copies what they see on tv or games. I don't. I'm a teen. None of my friends do, they're all teens. Sure, I try to do some moves on the Matrix, or, pretend I'm Master Chief, but do I do the moves on someone else? Hell no. Do I try actually take a machine gun and shoot some "aliens"? Again, hell no.

These are isolated cases. If every teen did this, every human would be of such a low level of intelligence that the human race would be extinct in less than 100 years.

The people you are talking about are all crazy, psychopaths, or WAY below the average level of intelligence. The average teen just doesn't go and start shooting people.

RagunCajun
12-22-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Nameless

Those kids are retards in the first place. Not to mention they were raised by ****ty parents, who just use media as a scapegoat for their incompetence.

I'm not one of those people who thinks the violence in media drives people to kill each other. I say if playing a violent video game, listening to violent lyrics, reading violent books, or watching violent TV shows and movies make you wanna kill someone, do the world a favour and start with yourself.
It isnt always the child's fault and/or the parent fault. Please think before you speak. This is a really good deep topic.

Casper
12-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by RagunCajun

It isnt always the child's fault and/or the parent fault. Please think before you speak. This is a really good deep topic.

And why not? The parent's should always be the first to blame, but I'm sick of the way lawyers are turning this around in every possible case to use a developer as a scape goat. It's crap. If the parent's couldn't bring up the kid til they were 18 without having any problems, then they shouldn't have had one to begin with.

And about the violence in games, I'm 26, and I don't really want some activist trying to stand up and tell me what I can or cannot play just because some retailers screwed up selling the kids the M rated game and now the lawyers are trying to use the game as the reason why they just killed their parents (but yet, never mention that the kid was abused as a child or something)....so why do I want to play games that aren't violent? If it's like that, go back to Mario Kart, but I'm expecting blood and gore in some games I play - cuz I'm a big boy and my folks brought me up right ;)

blackiee2002
12-22-2003, 09:04 AM
I am not against such games, but some of them just go too far ala M ANHUNT. it is just pointless killing. don't give more ideas to troubled teens to go about killing?

Casper
12-22-2003, 09:10 AM
I am not against such games, but some of them just go too far ala M ANHUNT. it is just pointless killing. don't give more ideas to troubled teens to go about killing?

Why? Like it's such a new and novel idea? Like there isn't thousands of websites that have the same thing, but in more 'real' graphic detail, like actually pictures. If a game is to get blamed for something, the kid has been playing it for enough hours for it to actually brainwash him (read: 10 hours a day for days on end) which, then, you go right to why the parents are allowing their kid to sit there and play a game for that long.

There's no reason to blame a game on a person's violent act. Don't let anything ruin it for the rest of us that enjoy this violence as a 'break from reality'...pointless killing or not, you're playing a video game, does there really need to be a point to what you're doing?

AmpedRider
12-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Well Im 15 and Ive been playing M rated games since I was 8. My parents knew I could handle them because I was pretty mature for being 8. If the parents feel their kids cant handle such games why the hell do they been them for them. Even if the kid goes and buys it at the store which he shouldnt be able too, Why dont they see what the game is about and take it away if they dont feel their kid can handle it. It is the parents fault if their kid sees something in a game and kill someone over it because They let their kid play it.

Sigma
12-22-2003, 11:00 AM

I thought Marylin Manson was why those kids did what they did? Now it is the Matrix huh? So they did kung-fu and killed everyone that looked like an agent? Damn I must have not seen that news report.

btw, I'am 16 and I have been playing violent games ever since the release of Doom and I have watched violent movies and TV shows for most of my life. And low and behold I have never killed anyone or comitted any crimes. Funny how the world works isn't it?

T-FiNGeR
12-22-2003, 11:06 AM
The fact is this... ANYONE who goes out and kills people then blames it on a game has serious problems therefore making it the childs fault 100%. Kids that kill people must have serious mental problems even before playing that game, and if so, they should not be allowed to get ahold of that type of game.

Hey guys, I just finished GTA: Vice City and I learned a new drive-by move through a car... I am gonna go try it out, when I get back Ill post how it went!..:watchout:

Jaclyn154
12-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by The.Prophet

Amen! I tryed to voice my opionion but every other word was a curse..
I agree with your comment.,

Same here. This is bull***.:cuss:

Jaclyn154
12-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro

Hey, guess what :D? I'm a teen. Guess what else? I don't try to re-enact everything I see. Guess why? I'm not stupid.

If you'd quit stereotyping teens for a second, and actually took a second to look at the big picture you'd find that you have contradicted yourself.

What about when teens sneak into R rated movies, and get games how they want? You reared on and on about how they shouldn't make games like these because teens can get their hands on them. Teens can sneak into R rated movies that are worse than these video games, yet, you haven't said anything about them. If we really try to re-enact everything we see, then why don't you think movies corrupt us, and just games do?

I've been playing games like Diablo since I was around 8 years old, maybe a bit younger. Have I ever once felt like I wanted to kill someone? Yea, and same with everyone else. Have I ever acted on that feeling? No, and I never would, because I'd never want to take someones life away, just because they may have made me angry. I also have never had the urge to go into an area and kill random people.

Stupidity and bad parenting is at the root of this, not the video games.

This will be the quote to end this all, and the quote is by me, remember it, and use it. Video games are meant to be played, not lived.

Ha, that's funny. I couldn't agree with you more. Amen:cheers:

Jaclyn154
12-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Sigma

I thought Marylin Manson was why those kids did what they did? Now it is the Matrix huh? So they did kung-fu and killed everyone that looked like an agent? Damn I must have not seen that news report.

btw, I'am 16 and I have been playing violent games ever since the release of Doom and I have watched violent movies and TV shows for most of my life. And low and behold I have never killed anyone or comitted any crimes. Funny how the world works isn't it?

Ha. This stuff is damn funny. Good point. I'm only 14, and have been playing rated M games eversince I got a Playstation, not to mention the grear Xbox. I watch rated R movies and violent TV shows, and it never occured to me, that I should go kill someone, now that I have done all this. I must have missed that memo.:cheers:

The Xbox Mafia
12-22-2003, 11:58 AM
I totally think it should be up to to parents what thier children play (Im not saying that game ratings dont mean thing) but unless the person is already mentally unstable no way are people/kids influenced to the point of kilings n stuff. Im 13 (I know Im young) and my parents have never even thought that I could be influenced by violence in games cause they know that Im mature enough to handle it and not go around steeling cars and torching people, I mean I've een watching violent films and playing violent games since I can remember.

(Im not saying that my parents dont give a damn about what I do)

RagunCajun
12-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
And why not? The parent's should always be the first to blame, but I'm sick of the way lawyers are turning this around in every possible case to use a developer as a scape goat. It's crap. If the parent's couldn't bring up the kid til they were 18 without having any problems, then they shouldn't have had one to begin with.
Sometimes people have a child or children on accient, meaning it isnt planed. Maybe some kids have issues in their head that parents arent aware of. Kid and teens can hide alot of crap from their parents and friends.

Also what does "scape goat" mean?

blackiee2002
12-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Some parents believe their kids are mature so they let them do whatever they wan to. however i don't believe the fact that most of the replies here claim that those who do that are insane orhave mental problems. that is necessarily true. heck some are very noirmal nut still do it because of the influential aspects of violence.

that is why i said, develpers can have violence in if they want, but they should not make any of the violence pointless as the one in MANHUNT

Cryogenic Pyro
12-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Some parents believe their kids are mature so they let them do whatever they wan to. however i don't believe the fact that most of the replies here claim that those who do that are insane orhave mental problems. that is necessarily true. heck some are very noirmal nut still do it because of the influential aspects of violence.

that is why i said, develpers can have violence in if they want, but they should not make any of the violence pointless as the one in MANHUNT
No. Just no. A normal person doesn't get influenced by violent video games. None of my friends, or myself have went on shooting rampages, and like I said, I've been playing extremely violent video games since 8, or younger.

These people have extreme mental anguish, and or they are psychopaths. Think how many teens play video games. I'd say around the numbers of 10 million, if anything, there would be more, not less than that number. So, if any of these 10 million teens can get their hands on games so easy, why are there say, 5 to 10 isolated issues on which shootings or killings have occured which are claimed to be related to games? Why not 9 or 10 million? Because a normal person doesn't go around killing people because they saw it somewhere.

An example. I see smoking ads everywhere. Do I smoke? No. Smoking is stupid, there is no point, it wastes your money. Just because I see something on TV or in a magazine doesn't mean I'm going to do it. I feel the need even less for something in a game because I can actually do it in the game.

Take a look at Postal 2 for instance. You get to pee on people. Peeing on people in the game is extremely fun. Would it be fun in real life? Probably, but it's just not right to do it, thus, why I don't leave my house to go piss on people.

Also for what you said about the parents. If the parent was a good parent, they would notice their problems, if they payed any attention to them at all. Maybe the parents don't. There's the problem.

Video games are not the problem here, either are the developers. People like pointless violence. Take horror movies for instance. Pointless violence and being scared ****less. Anything more? No.

Nameless
12-22-2003, 04:53 PM

Yes it is! The child is the one who goes out and gets a gun. Their the ones who load the thing, points it, then shoots. Not the video games bud. Its the parents fault for nor monitoring what their kids are doing.

Btw, I'm sick of you going into threads always telling people to "think before they speak". Practice what you preach bud, What I said related to the topic, and exprsessed my views on it.

Originally posted by RaguCajun

Sometimes people have a child or children on accient, meaning it isnt planed. Maybe some kids have issues in their head that parents arent aware of. Kid and teens can hide alot of crap from their parents and friends.
What the hell does an accident have to do with anything? By keeping the child if it was or wasn't accident to me shows they want to be parents. So that whole "they were an accident" excuse doesn't fly. Exactly, the kids have issues already, so media should not have much to do with their acts of violence.

And a scapegoat, is when you blame thing on other people/ideas/objects, whatever. Example, ****ty parents and stupid kids blaming the media for there lack of sesne.

Casper
12-22-2003, 05:33 PM

Also what does "scape goat" mean?

Just some little insight on your first question even though it might be off topic but it supports my statement -

I'm adopted - as I was an 'accident' - and being that they birth parents were smart enough to put me up for adoption, I landed with an amazing family - one that taught me right from wrong - and I'm very grateful for this. So in regards to someone being a mistake, that's what adoption is there for, to not ruin your kids life by not being there for them when they need you most.

memphissheik
12-22-2003, 07:32 PM
At one point where does american society take responsiblity for the actions of their children.

You have parents who purchase these games, and like any product they are subject to regulations.

I've personally told numerous parents about the violence, prostitution, and subject matter in GTA III & GTA III Vice City.

HERE'S A SNIPPET.

THEY DON'T CARE????

they'd rather have the 15 minutes of spare time that their child isn't bothering them as opposed to knowing what's coming in and out of their children's minds and thougts.

But ofcourse....if anything happens or goes wrong with you child in this country....it's always someone else's fault.

That's what's behind the moral decay in this country..not video games, movies, or music...

My mother was always on my $%% when I was growing up, and it never paid to lie when I was a kid.
But now, things have changed, and so have parents...

they're more friendly than they are disciplinarian and that shows..

as far as the game going too far. IT DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH...

think about it....movies...===entertainment

games====entertainment...

why don't people make the connection and say hmmmmmm Mature...might mean the same as R-Rated..for a movie??

well probably because the media gives them a false representation as to what these games are and who is responsible for your child...

Get a grip people.....raise your own kids and don't expect anyone else to.

If the case was really who's at fault...look at who usually buys the damn game in the first place..

THE PARENTS.

blackiee2002
12-22-2003, 08:06 PM
[they'd rather have the 15 minutes of spare time that their child isn't bothering them as opposed to knowing what's coming in and out of their children's minds and thougts.]

good taught and reasoning. in this generation, many parents hardly know what thier children do. i know a lot of teens on this site will confess to it that thier parents most of the time do not know what thier kids are upto. so the nurturing and caring is not there and they learn from many different sources, which in some cases could be very bad if not supervised.

ShadowWolf
12-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Why would you care if some retard across the world blew off his head cause he thought he was a drug lord?

blackiee2002
12-22-2003, 08:48 PM
[ShadowWolf Why would you care if some retard across the world blew off his head cause he thought he was a drug lord? ]

oops there it is. y would i care u ask? people should not die senselessly and especially not for stupid things.

RagunCajun
12-22-2003, 09:00 PM
I meant like when a couple has an child but didnt plan on it and keeps it. They try their best to raise it right and all.

Arrix
12-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Heres the deal people. Blaming violent crimes on the media, movies, and games is just plain stupid. Did you think 200 years ago there wasn't violence but, i thought video games influence the violence. Its because there is always going to be violence in this world. Blaming a violent crime on an outside source is pure crap, the problem is and will always be the person's fault or in a case of a child the parent is to blame also. This excludes people with mental problems. Its sad these bad parents can't accept the blame for their stupid kids. They blame it on the Matrix or GTA for influencing their kids to kill someone. If the Matrix or GTA is going to influence there kid enough to blow someone's head off then the parents are doing a bad job.

Cryogenic Pyro
12-22-2003, 09:42 PM

good taught and reasoning. in this generation, many parents hardly know what thier children do. i know a lot of teens on this site will confess to it that thier parents most of the time do not know what thier kids are upto. so the nurturing and caring is not there and they learn from many different sources, which in some cases could be very bad if not supervised.
Exactly what most of us were saying pages back. It's the parents's fault. Even if mental illness, such as being a psychopath, it's still the parents's fault. Why? Because they should know what their child does, and if they are mature enough to handle it. If they are not, then they shouldn't be playing, or doing it. If they have mental illness, same deal. It's called supervision.

Kyle Static
12-22-2003, 10:20 PM
This topic (not specifically relating to Manhunt) has been covered a million times over. I do not and cannot believe that violence in video games causes violence in real life, or distorts our sense of reality.

Really I think what it all comes down to with violence in teens and whatnot, is the Parents. If you really think about it, its the parents fault. Some games, yes, should not be played by young children because of their content, but I dont think a video game will turn honest hardworking billy into an axe murderer. I mean c'mon.

If the parents are so stupid and neglegent that they don't pay attention to the games that their kids are buying (usually with money they give them) its the parents fault. It is the parents responsiblity to watch out for their childrens well being and make judgements on what and what not to show and expose their children to. Its the parents fault, period.

MaDDaWg836
12-23-2003, 01:57 AM
if it is rated M then kids under 17 shouldnt be playing it anyway

oldi1knoby
12-23-2003, 04:28 AM
The logic that video games influence children to do violence because they can't distinguish reality from fiction is retarded. I never ONCE tried to throw a turtle at mushroom men to stop them after playing Mario. I never once tried to kill rats to level up after I played Everquest. I never once tried to hit R to reload after taking out a group of school children.... errr ....wait...

See the point?

Unreal
12-23-2003, 11:06 AM
First of all, what is wrong with you. Its a game, get over it. If a kid or adult can not tell the difference between a game and reality, chances are they shouldnt be walking around free in the first place. With that said, if games like this are selling, then by those same words, there is a market for it. As long as there is a market for games like this, company's will continue to make them. If you do not like violence in games then don't buy them. Easy enough isnt it :p

blackiee2002
12-23-2003, 11:30 AM
[First of all, what is wrong with you. Its a game, get over it. If a kid or adult can not tell the difference between a game and reality, chances are they shouldnt be walking around free in the first place. With that said, if games like this are selling, then by those same words, there is a market for it. As long as there is a market for games like this, company's will continue to make them. If you do not like violence in games then don't buy them. Easy enough isnt it ]

i figured you will go with Rockstar since they've blinded you with so much violence

Unreal
12-23-2003, 11:39 AM

i figured you will go with Rockstar since they've blinded you with so much violence
I have no idea what that is suppose to mean, but I will take it, it made sense to you when you typed it. :watchout:

OC Noob
12-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Rockstar is seeming more and more like Denis Rodman, Madona and their kind... attention whores. They are trying too hard to be controversial. Atleast with GTA it wasn't so blatant.

I'm glad this title is getting what it deserves... very little media attention. They might as well make their next game about a disgruntaled postal employee and call it Postal 2. Hell, if not for all the PS2 the kidies and geeks that think its cool to do something their parents tell them not to this game would die the quit death of Postal 2.

Well, I'm just glad the media has denied Rockstar the attation that they so obviously crave.

Screw the kids that play it, if they are stupid enough to emulate it, they are stupid enough to emulate another game or movie and someone will get killed anyway.

RagunCajun
12-23-2003, 12:52 PM
This is kinda off topic but i thought id share with everyone. I was at the lcoal gaming store just looking cuz im broke hehe. I seen the manhunt box. I looked on the back of it to see some screen shots and some info. To my suprise there wasnt any screen shots. I think that it lame in a way. I've seen many screen shots on the net and mags but i think a box should have some. Sometimes the box is what sells a game.

J4320
12-23-2003, 05:40 PM
I don't think that manhunt is right. Parents just don't realize how bad it is. If your a parent rushing through the mall before Christmas and just want to get everything and get out of their and your kid has Manhunt on his Christmas list you would'nt really pay attention to everything on it because your in a rush. Now you are emphasizing upon your kid that any video game is ok for his age and ruthlessly slaughtering people is ok if your "not actually doing it". But trust me, you get ideas planted in your head when your angry, and sometimes you don't even stop and think about what your doing. I really think this game is for older people and NOT FOR KIDS.

Arrix
12-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Im tired of hearing these bullshi t excuses for parents not supervising their childern. Saying the parent just wants to get their christmas shopping over with and they don't know what their buying is a load crap. If parents can't supervise their childern, they shouldn't be parents.

J4320
12-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Arrix
Im tired of hearing these bullshi t excuses for parents not supervising their childern. Saying the parent just wants to get their christmas shopping over with and they don't know what their buying is a load crap. If parents can't supervise their childern, they shouldn't be parents.

Exactly

Brimstone D.
12-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Look I'm going to tell you this plain and simple, if someone goes out and kills someone, who are they going to blame to make it seem as if their innocent? Well yes, Movies, Games, Books, etc...

The thing about censorship is that your taking games away from the rest of the general public, hey If I want to buy or rent a game with extreme violence, that's my business and not the governments to monitor or decide what I should or shouldn't buy, of my entertainment...right?

I remember I was looking forward to Thrill Kill, and guess what, the Parents or America and Politicians got their hands on it and took it off the shelves...before I could go and purchase it...see I think that supervision is the key, if you can't look over your kids don't expect anyone else to, then blame the entertainment business for what happens later.

I've been playing violent video games since 1992, with Mortal Kombat as one of the very first titles...I was 8 at that time, now I'm 19, and no, I don't have the urge to kill people, no I don't want to drive over *** men like in GTA...Because guess what? I know the difference between reality and fiction...Those excuses these kids bring up about a game making you kill people is *beep*, like I said I've been playing violent games since '92, at age 8, and I didn't turn out bad...

blackiee2002
12-24-2003, 01:04 PM
[Rockstar is seeming more and more like Denis Rodman, Madona and their kind... attention whores. They are trying too hard to be controversial. Atleast with GTA it wasn't so blatant.]

you nailed it right there.

GoombaJebboMT
08-17-2005, 05:30 PM
The fact is that ESRB and all the retailers that decided to ban GTA:SA are just looking for someone to point the finger at. It seems to me all the retailers that banned the game sell R Rated movies…but they won’t sell a video game that has adult content in it as well? A kid can buy one of those movies easier than they can acquire a video game with content like that. If they are going to try to stop this and “police” things they should really be a little more consistent. I just think they seized the opportunity to want to start a big ruckus over what is already in other games like Playboy the Mansion, The Guy Game, and Leisure Suit Larry. As far as violence take Manhunt for example, which is a fantastic game where you can suffocate your victims with a plastic bag but no controversy over it…why? And it was from the same manufacturer (Rockstar). Why single this game out when games are already exhibiting this type of content without needing a patch to unlock it? It makes a LOT of sense for us to spend tax payers money to make a rating with a single video game in it. THATS LUDICROUS! This debate is deeply rooted over what has been fought over for years and has gone as high as the Supreme Court. You cannot legislate morality, and this is a matter of taste, not ratings. If anyone is at fault here then it is ESRB for not having a thorough ratings system.

Ninjermy
08-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Honestly... why are all these old ass threads being bumped?

bunch o noobs....

Tony_Macaroni
08-18-2005, 12:42 PM
the violence is just pointless

O ... and if something in a game is pointless its not worth doing? .... there are plenty of games that have pointless aspects, some violent, some funny, etc... wut u just said covers nothing. :hump:

ScorpionX
08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Stop bumping these threads and posting the same dumbass post over and over.