PDA

View Full Version : Surround System Issues

Sexaya
12-22-2003, 04:22 AM
Well, I should probably start with how it all began. I was speaking to my mom, and I casually told her that for my next or next-next birthday I'd be wanting a Surround System. The next thing she said had surprised me incredibly, she said 'But we already have a surround system'. She then proceeded to open the closet, which I myself thought held only liquor, and opened up a box. And inside were 2 gloriously thin speakers.

Now, apparantely our TV has a built-in stereo system, meaning that it should have 2 out of the 5 speakers needed. Is this true? I mean, this TV produces pretty good sound. Hold on, I'll just go and check what TV it is. Right, Panasonic Quintrix F 100HZ Digital. And it's 30-something inch. In any case, I was wondering that given we find the 3rd speaker (which according to my mother is wider than the other 2, who are long - makes sense? :huh: ) and given we find all the wires and an optical cable will I have surround with one stereo TV and 3 speakers?

Thanks! If your confused, just leave your questions and I'll do my best to answer them. All for the sake of Surround Sound. :cheers:

Sleak Design
12-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Here's a site that should point you in the right direction, I've been using it for the past 2 years for all my audio / video information...It's a Haven of information for those 2 topics...here you go.

AudioVideo101 (http://www.audiovideo101.com/default.asp)

Salmonaitor
12-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Sorry, but you're probobly S.O.L. You need a digital reciever to decode your digital sound. All a TV can provide is "Virtual" surround sound. to get true 5.1 surround sound, you need a Centre Channel (the wider than long speaker), a front right and a fron left, a rear right and a rear left, and a subwoofer (if the four speakers you have do not have integrated subwoofers, if they do, you can buy a subwoofer anyway, just for extra meat). Finally, you need a Digital reciever to decode all the signals and distribute the sound to the appropriate channel (or speaker). You can get a cheap SS system which will do in most situations (the theatre in a box approach) at best buy for about $150 to $250.