PDA

View Full Version : PS2 vs Xbox, by Forbes

prakeem
12-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Link (http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/22/cx_dd_1222mondaymatchup.html)

I never knew there were 1.7 online PS2 gamers :eek:

Highlite23
12-23-2003, 09:21 AM
I find that very hard to believe.

My simplistic math..................

XBOX buyers go home with everything they need to hop on line, especially with the 2 months free program.
(Current bundle=XBOX, 2 XBL games, 2 month free XBL $179.99)

PS2 buyers need to purchase either the bundled system w/network adapter or the network adapter on it's own.
(Current bundle=PS2 w/network adapter $199.00)

Neither of the PS2 options are flying off the shelf in our store.

bobby9989
12-23-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by prakeem
Link (http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/22/cx_dd_1222mondaymatchup.html)

I never knew there were 1.7 online PS2 gamers :eek:

I bet most of those people are playing SOCOM 1 or 2. Like the first day when it came out there were already 30,000 people playing it online.

LTM360
12-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by bobby9989

I bet most of those people are playing SOCOM 1 or 2. Like the first day when it came out there were already 30,000 people playing it online.

Also, you've got to subtract those who don't play Xbox and/or PS2 online, since they bought it, it goes into that count. I know of a few people who have the adapter yet has played it online once or twice. I also know of one person who has the Xbox Live starter kit and had it for a year, yet he hasn't hooked it up yet. So really, it should have an average of online players or something. Cause I'd bet Xbox has more people playing cause of the amount of different games.

X-Fan
12-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Xbox
Company that makes it: Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people )
Year introduced: 2001
Cost: $179
Estimated North American shipments in 2003: 3.4 million
Installed base: 8.5 million(its more than 9.5 million-Confirmed)
Most popular game, copies sold: Halo, about 637,000 (is this in 2003only or what?because overall halo has sold over 3 million)
Market share: 21.8%
Number of subscribers to online service: 500,000 (ms announced this a WHILE ago so i am sure we are almost a million by now)
Price of online service: Xbox Live starter kit, $69.99, plus annual subscription, $49.99
Male ratio of players: About 89%
Next up: Halo sequel Halo 2 not to mention fable,doom3,half life 2.
thsi article was biased imo.

RagunCajun
12-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Why can't yall just be happy for PS2. I enjoy playing NFSU online(on ps2). I played for over an hour last night. Man drag races are addictive.:D

As much as i defend PS2 and sony, i have only 1 complant. Game companys are gonna start charging to play online. The first i believe is Final Fantasy X-1 online. I dont think $12-$15 is a nice thing to do. Ah well.

Titty
12-23-2003, 01:06 PM
hard to believe a online system with like 3 games has more players then xbl with a whole bunch of worthy live games.

seems like false info to me

thrAsher
12-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Ragun: It's because this is an Xbox fansite. Plain and simple. You got a lotta diehard Xbox fans here. It's easy math, man. These guys want to see their favorite system (and for a number, their only system) do well against the Sony behemoth.

Yankeez
12-23-2003, 02:03 PM
ps2 has like 60+ million consoles sold world wide so 1.7 online sounds right

ShaDovV RyDer
12-23-2003, 02:34 PM
1.7 subscribers is believable...i was talkin to my friend they other day and he has the adapter for PS2...he said about 1 half of the games out for the PS2 right now r in some way online...not to mention that the service is completly free once u got the adapter...i dont care who wins in most ppl because im 100% sure that PS2's online is not near as interactive or organized as Xbox Live is...pce

RagunCajun
12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by thrAsher
Ragun: It's because this is an Xbox fansite. Plain and simple. You got a lotta diehard Xbox fans here. It's easy math, man. These guys want to see their favorite system (and for a number, their only system) do well against the Sony behemoth.
Yup, i can only try to educate:D

Sexaya
12-23-2003, 03:15 PM
To Ragun and thrasher, I have to say I completely agree with you. I give PS2 all the credit it needs, it's a decent system but IMO it's not even half as good as the Xbox. Yeah, yeah, I might sound like a fanboy but my friend has a PS2 and he has all of the exclusives and big games, and I must say... I don't like that system.

When I compare it to the Xbox, it's just lacking. Again, this is only my opinion - and when I bought the Xbox I wasn't trying to discern which system was better - because that's impossible, I tried to find the system I'll enjoy - and voila - I have the Box. The PS2 has some serious advantages, especially over here, since the Xbox is very hard to find and games are f***ing expensive, I still decided to go with it. And I haven't had any regrets.

I can see where the Xbox fanboys are coming from, and the same goes for the PS2 fanboys. In the end it all boils down to taste. And thrasher, of course they want to see the only system they own thrive, because if it didn't companies wouldn't produce games etc etc, so being a diehard Xbox fan isn't such a bad thing. (IMO ^_^). :cheers:

RagunCajun
12-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Sexaya
To Ragun and thrasher, I have to say I completely agree with you. I give PS2 all the credit it needs, it's a decent system but IMO it's not even half as good as the Xbox.

especially over here, since the Xbox is very hard to find and games are f***ing expensive, I still decided to go with it.
Doesnt matter whos the best. We all have our own intrest.

Anways, how much(in US money) are xbox games and ps2 game in your area?

Sexaya
12-23-2003, 05:39 PM
XBox games are usually 70-75$ and PS2's are 30-40$.

:cuss:

xbox genius
12-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Titty
hard to believe a online system with like 3 games has more players then xbl with a whole bunch of worthy live games.

seems like false info to me

i believe the online stats,... but i dont believe the other stuff...... this seems to directly bash xbox with the info favoring ps2 .... funny

mattgame
12-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun
Why can't yall just be happy for PS2. I enjoy playing NFSU online(on ps2). I played for over an hour last night. Man drag races are addictive.:D

As much as i defend PS2 and sony, i have only 1 complant. Game companys are gonna start charging to play online. The first i believe is Final Fantasy X-1 online. I dont think $12-$15 is a nice thing to do. Ah well.

I have to agree even though I hate to. The PS2 is leading right now for obvious reasons. More game selection, PS1, and a headstart. The Xbox is the better console and as soon as 2004 it will be recognized by even more people as the best console available.

skorp
12-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Sexaya
XBox games are usually 70-75$ and PS2's are 30-40$.

:cuss:

OH DAMN! Thats harsh....

And I thought I was getting it bad over here...

The most expensive game (not including Steel Battalion)cost $54.00 where I'm from.

Do you try ordering games online?

RagunCajun
12-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
The Xbox is the better console and as soon as 2004 it will be recognized by even more people as the best console available.
I'm not trying to defend either. I find that the XBL games are getting ALOT of advertise ment. Thats cool though. I love the damn commercials. I love the one where the guy is watching some girls outside and he is shooting the wall. SOCOM 2 is pretty cool but ya cant beat that one i described hehe.:D

Sexaya
12-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by skorp

OH DAMN! Thats harsh....

And I thought I was getting it bad over here...

The most expensive game (not including Steel Battalion)cost $54.00 where I'm from.

Do you try ordering games online?

Yeah, I don't buy games here. I have relatives in the US and I send them money to buy me games so it's not that bad...

thrAsher
12-24-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by RagunCajun

Yup, i can only try to educate:D
I feel ya, man. I don't hate on the PS2 anymore really, 'cuz it does have a lot of games I'd love to play that will unfortunately never make it to the X.

But I still support the diehard Xboxers here, because while we may lack the library the PS2 has behind it, we do own the most powerful console ever made, and the future is looking bright for us Addicts. In truth it was a real toss up for me when I started contemplating buying a console, but eventually the power and features of the X sold me on it.

:)