PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly do I need when I purchase my XBOX?

Brimstone D.
12-23-2003, 04:27 PM
I have been reading that I need to buy a surge protector to keep my XBOX hooked up to it...do I need to do that? I already own about 3, not new but they get the work done, so would I really need a new surge protector?

Also should I opt out and buy the extended warranty? I've already owned a Sony Playstation 2 and the freaking thing gave out on me and gave me a bunch of D.R.E.'s (Disc Read Errors) after one year so I couldn't return it...should I go with the extended warranty?

Should I purchase the XBOX System right now? As the new systems will start production in late 2005, should I just wait or buy the XBOX, see I want to buy it but, I don't want Microsoft to stop producing games for this system after 2005...should I buy it now?

One more thing...What should be the first title I buy? I have enough for one game so I don't know which one I should buy, give me some titles and I'll see if which one I like...I like Sports games and Action Games like GTA...

Do I need some other necessary items...thanks.

Thank You to all the people helping keep this forum community so close and helpful...

LTM360
12-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Brimstone D.
I have been reading that I need to buy a surge protector to keep my XBOX hooked up to it...do I need to do that? I already own about 3, not new but they get the work done, so would I really need a new surge protector?

Also should I opt out and buy the extended warranty? I've already owned a Sony Playstation 2 and the freaking thing gave out on me and gave me a bunch of D.R.E.'s (Disc Read Errors) after one year so I couldn't return it...should I go with the extended warranty?

Should I purchase the XBOX System right now? As the new systems will start production in late 2005, should I just wait or buy the XBOX, see I want to buy it but, I don't want Microsoft to stop producing games for this system after 2005...should I buy it now?

One more thing...What should be the first title I buy? I have enough for one game so I don't know which one I should buy, give me some titles and I'll see if which one I like...I like Sports games and Action Games like GTA...

Thank You to all the people helping keep this forum community so close and helpful...

First off all, Welcome to Xbox Addict! :cheers:

Question 1: No, I don't think you'd need a brand new Surge Protecter, your olds ones I think would be fine.

Question 2: My Xbox did break, so I would tell you yes. But my brand new one has yet to even come close to giving me a problem. But I think you should go for the Warrenty just in case.

Question 3: I think right now is a perfect time to buy an Xbox, 2004 has a hot line up with Mafia, Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Doom 3 just around the corner.

Question 4: First title, I'd go with Halo (cause 98% of Xbox owners have it, and its awesome) or Grand Theft Auto: Double Pack (2 games, you can't beat that).

Question 5: If you have broadband (Cable or DSL internet connection) you must try Xbox Live, youll get two free month trial with purchase of an Xbox, and 2 Live Enabled games. Xbox Live is great, and a must-have if you can pay for it.

Just ask if I missed anything :D again welcome to the site :)

Chr0nik
12-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Question 1: Surge Protector

If you already have a good power bar, then you should be fine. Do not just plug it into the outlet in the wall. I learnt that the hard way with my PC.

Question 2:Extended Warranty

Always a good idea. I was getting dirty disc errors when I first bought my Xbox, I was able to return it in store for a brand new one because of the extended warranty. It also applies on your controllers. I have changed my controller three times, even though there was never anything wrong with it.

Question 3: Purchasing right now

Hell ya, why wait?

Question 4: First Title

Halo is a must buy if you have not played it. I would also suggest Project gotham racing 1 or 2.

Question 5: Accessories

Controller S, High Def AV Pack, Xbox Live if you have high speed.

Brimstone D.
12-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks ya'll, I'll be getting my XBOX this weekend, with probably either Halo or GTA: Double Pack, since I've never played Halo, it sounds interesting...Again thanks for your input.

CharlieHustle
12-23-2003, 04:53 PM
That sums it up, what these two said..

JDHack0822
12-23-2003, 07:29 PM
The only thing I wanted to add was that you should have a surge protecter with atleast 700 joules protection. If you just have a cheap walmart strip it is worth upgrading. You can hook your entire entertainment system up to it.

Buy Halo and download Xbconnect:
http://www.xbconnect.com/downloads.php

skorp
12-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Brimstone D.

Welcome to XBA!

I'm excited for you and enjoy your new system....

:cheers:

mdooz
12-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Since you said you liked sports games, check out ESPN NFL football and ESPN NBA Basketball. If you get LIVE, you can play those online. Madden 2004 is also a great football game, but you can't play it online with LIVE. If you get Halo, try to get online using Xbox Connect.