PDA

View Full Version : ProJection TV and XBOX

Capt Marvel
01-03-2002, 11:16 AM
Open discussion on XBOX on a large projection TV

Has anyone noticed any screen burns or other problems

Any suggestion on how to avoid "burn"

I want to hook mine up but after reading the manual Im a little wary.

The Terminator
01-03-2002, 11:32 AM
I actually called up Sony yesterday to ask them this question, but I said PS2 instead of XBox so they would not give me any bs info.

She said the following: "Any video game system on a rear-projection TV will cause a burn on the projector. Any image that stays in place will cause the burn. It is a gradual thing that happens over time, it could take awhile, or it could happen quickly, but the fact of the matter is, it will happen."

I guess this is the way it works. Projection TVs are weak in a way. If you play a racing game, that car always stays in the center of your screen, and will burn the image there. If you play a game like Halo, your gun is always in the exact same place, and that'll get burned on. I don't see how DOA3 could burn the TV tho, b/c the image is constantly changing.

So, I was really bummed out to hear this, as we have a huge projection TV that I was very interested in using for a party. It really blows, I'm going to have to go out and buy a 36" TV now w/ my own cash sometime, unless I want to always compete w/ my little brother, who has the TV in his room, where my Xbox is also...

The Sony woman also said this, which I find interesting: "Around election time, we had hundreds of callers complaining of screen burn-ins, almost all from old people, who'd never dream of playing a video game. What happened was, they left their TVs on CNN watching the election, and the next morning after they had gone to sleep and turned off the TV, they had the map of America and the electoral vote numbers burned into their screens."

I wish I could say that you could play games on the bigscreen, but hopefully this'll help, and save the "life" of your bigscreen.

Capt Marvel
01-03-2002, 11:38 AM
interesting.

I have heard lowering the contrast helps stop burns. Also a friend of mine suggested stopping every 25 min and putting up the tv signal again just to flash the thing with some else for a few minutes.

Funny about that CNN thing. In my owners manual it says that "TV BUG" like CNN or TECTV are static images and will burn your screen if left on for long prolonged periods of time. It is not covered under any warranty

low_ridah11
01-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Ive been playing xbox on my 61" Toshiba cinema view tv for about 3 weeks now and i havnt had any problems. I have played it for 4 hours at a time.

xBoXGaMeR2002
01-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Thank God, I was saving up $4000 to buy a rear projection tv, guess you warned me in time.

Thanks.

LynxFX
01-03-2002, 01:51 PM
If you purchase an HDTV or any projection tv or device then please do yourself a favor and invest in a calibration dvd like AVIA or Video Essentials. I've seen them from $15 to $50. Shop around.

A properly calibrated set reduces (not eliminates) the chance for burn in. Most of this is due to Contrast and Brightness being set too high like someone said above. But not only will you benefit from lower chance of burn in you will end up with a much better looking picture. It is well worth it and you get the most out of your projection tv. Also only calibrate a set after it has been on for at least 30 minutes.

Most newer tvs do pretty good though against burn in. Best solution is to vary your viewing and gaming habbits. (I almost said hobbits...got Lord of the Rings on my mind :D) Same goes for if you have a widescreen 16x9 set that you should vary between widescreen and and full screen material to avoid horizontal or vertical lines being burnt in.

Just be cautious and smart about it. I don't think you have to go as far as switching every 30 minutes. I wouldn't play all night long either.

Snoopy7548
01-03-2002, 02:51 PM
i have a rear projection tv, and when i got it, i asked the guy about playing videogames on it, and he said that it would be fine if i just lowered the contrast, so whenever i play games on it i do that and nothing has gone wrong.
that sony person that someone called was so wrong. ive had my tv for like 2 years, and i have always played my psx and xbox on it and there have been no problems or burns. all i do is lower the contrast and play the games. and one time i have played games on it with the contrast all the way up and nothing happened

MaxPain
01-03-2002, 02:56 PM
Whew... good thing I play my xbox on a 4" handheld tv....

The Terminator
01-03-2002, 03:14 PM
It's actually very interesting. I talked to a Circuit City rep, and a Best Buy rep, and they both said it'd be fine. But, I decided to be on the safe side, and call Sony, and what they told me I posted above. It really sucks too, I was looking forward to playing some Halo on the 61" screen :(

MaxPain
01-03-2002, 03:17 PM
I heard using consoles on big tv's screws up the colors? BUt I've been playing mine on a bigscreen for quite some time, and it's just fine :D

Gotyouopen
01-03-2002, 04:36 PM
I've Played my Ps2 for about a year on my Toshiba 43" Projection and no problem. Now i have an XBOX in which i've been using for a month and still no problem
XBOX RULES :D

robnyack
01-03-2002, 05:03 PM
I talked to a Circuit City rep, and a Best Buy rep, and they both said it'd be fine.

Then either they lied to you or they did not know what the hell they were talking about...and considering one of the guys worked at Curcuit City, I'll just assume he didn't know what he was talking about.

Burn in on rear end projection TVs IS something everyone has to be concerned with. Not just video games, but normal TV viewing can cause problems too seeing how now every TV station feels they must put their logo up on the screen all the time.

Lnyx is correct, the absolute first thing you have to do if you get a rear end projection TV is CALIBRATE your set. Plugging these babies in out of the box will NOT get you the best possible picture, and it will allow you to lower your contrast which will help (not prevent, but help) in preventing burn in. You can buy a DVD disk that will walk you thru calibration or if you have lots of money to burn, you can have it professionally done. But, with a little trial and error you can get your picture looking VERY nice yourself.

You have to be concerned about it. You cant spend $3 grand on a TV and then not be concerned. Too big of an investment. Take precautions. Lower the contrast, dont play a game like Halo (the health meter bars and the weapons cross hairs can do the burn in) for extended periods of time. Play it 30 minutes and then watch a broadcast station for a 5 minutes or so, or whatever....just vary your viewing and playing.

There are some games that you dont have to worry about. OddWorld has no constant static images, Madden and Fever also have no constant static images. Just be aware of what games do have static images. Sometimes you dont ever realize it they are there.

But, lower your contrast (calibrate your set!) don't play a game with static images for too long a time w/o mixing it up with something else every so often, be aware of what games have static images and what games don't, and watch any of those networks that have all those crazy static images on them for too long a time. They can do just as much damage as a game can.

I would think networks would start gettign complaints from more and more people about their ridiculous static images, and if they start to tealize people watch LESS of their broadcasts because of the images, they will start using them less.

LynxFX
01-03-2002, 05:35 PM
People have complained to the networks and alot of them have responded in an even more obnoxious way. Now we have animated logos that change every once in a while. But not something simple. Nooooo they do lots of stuff, like tell us what we are watching, what is coming next, a knock knock joke. Some are even adding sound. :mad: When will it end??

But there are a few that are just moving the logo from one corner to another at different intervals. News stations are the worst with their tickers. How would you like to have "America at War" burned into your screen?

But don't let all of this stuff scare you from getting a big screen. Gaming will never be the same for you after you experience it in your own home. It is awesome. And if/when these 1080i games start coming then you really will be missing out on the fun if you don't have an HD capable set. You just have to take precautions like you would with any large investment or high priced item. You don't buy a sports car and take it off roading do you?

StUmPy01
01-03-2002, 07:14 PM
alright i read this in one of my magazines, hooking a game system will not burn up your tv, just when you leave your game on pause turn the screen off, and dont play for 5 hours straight, after about 5 hours turn your tv off then after about 5 minutes turn it back on. i know what im talking about:rolleyes:

LynxFX
01-03-2002, 09:34 PM
LOL, I believe we are talking about burn in not burn up.

Big difference.

Hugh_Jass
01-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by StUmPy01
alright i read this in one of my magazines, hooking a game system will not burn up your tv, just when you leave your game on pause turn the screen off, and dont play for 5 hours straight, after about 5 hours turn your tv off then after about 5 minutes turn it back on. i know what im talking about:rolleyes:

Some games are more prone to burn-in than others. Something like Oddworld or Azurik is very unlikely to cause a problem. Any game with static images/text on the screen is cause for concern.

One way to avoid this problem and still have a large image is to use a DLP projection television (or projector). They are immune to the problem.

ice
01-04-2002, 03:26 AM
LOOK GUYS IT AINT A BIG PROBLEM... it all stems from the tv stations that have the little logo at the corner of the screen. Burn in only occurs if the image is fixed for a long period of time. People who basically watched one channel all day long or just left their tv on would get the little logo burned in. This prompted the tv manuf. to post the warnings because the customers where trying to get it repaired under warrenty (to which the tv manuf. said "sorry, thats classified as abuse"). The tv stations nowadays make the little logo disappear every once in a while to help the situation.

As far as the XBOX, unless you plan on not playing and leaving your tv on all night you may get burn in. The only other thing I can think that could cause a problem, would be a marathon gaming session (12 hours) where there was a graphic always on during the game... for instance, the health meter in HALO (you would still have to go to the bathroom sometime).

I've had my projection tv for over three years, and played tons of vid games and even had some seriously long gaming sessions all with no burn in.

Hope this calms your fears. PLAY ON!

LynxFX
01-04-2002, 04:07 AM
ice,

I think the point we are trying to make is that a small problem can turn into a major problem faster than you would think if you aren't careful.

For instance, my projector has a bulb that is rated for 1000 hours. The projector counts the hours and warns me when I get to that number and turns off to protect the equipment. The reason is that the bulb can explode if it goes beyond that point. Will it blow at 1001 hours or 1500 hours? Never know. I could ignore the warning and reset the counter and take a chance and run the projector past the rated amount of hours. But then I'm ignoring known problems that can occure and it won't be covered by warranty. I would be out an expensive projector. If it blows at 999 hours then I'm covered by warranty.

This same theory applies to most tvs, especially crt based projection tvs. It is a known problem and the manufacturer is warning you of the problem because it does exist. If you happen to make a mistake and do get a burned in logo or horizontal widescreen line or health meter then you are out of luck. No warranty. You are out an expensive tv. If we or the manufacture didn't warn the consumer then they would have no idea of the problem and what causes it. Sure enough, one day they would save a game, leave it on and go to the mall or something. Come back resume playing. Next day while watching Seinfeld they notice an off color square with letters spelling 'Health' over Kramer's head.

It is great that you haven't had any problems. But your success could be another person's $5,000 disaster. I know people that have gotten their bulbs past 1500 hours. I know others that had them blow up damaging the optic lense at 1011 hours and 800 hours.

ice
01-04-2002, 04:36 AM
Sure. I also agree with your earlier comments. Cpt Marvel has not even hooked up to his set yet though. I saw the same reservations posted on another board. I wanted to point out the origin and that no need in getting too excited about it (so as that someone would not even hook up). With a little caution, there should be not trouble.

Capt Marvel
01-04-2002, 08:35 AM
Well so far everyone has contributed their best knowledge to this thread.

I'm glad I started it. Seems we are all a little wiser now.

Chr0nik
01-04-2002, 08:40 AM
My friends dad just bought a 57 inch widescreen (16:9)

We hooked the XBOX up to it to start playing, but his dad started to freak out cause he was reading the manual and it says games can cause burn in on the screen.

He basically said if we played on his new TV he would shove the console where the sun dont shine :rolleyes:

He is 6`6`` and 280 pounds.... you gotta take him seriously.

Capt Marvel
01-04-2002, 08:41 AM
BTW Everyone.

I'm going to hook it up :)

robnyack
01-04-2002, 12:08 PM
Hope this calms your fears. PLAY ON!

not the best advice.

How about instead, "Hope this calms your fears. PLAY ON....and take some reasonable preventive steps."

Snoopy7548
01-04-2002, 02:41 PM
just turn the contrast down, dont pause the game for a long time, and dont play for more than 5 house and you should be fine

robnyack
01-05-2002, 03:55 PM
and dont play for more than 5 house and you should be fine

You will not find a TV manufacturer in the world that will even attempt to give you a "safe range" time period. You cannot say that. Someone may follow that guideline and be fine, others could get burn in.

play, but, take reasonable preventive steps.