PDA

View Full Version : Arx Fatalis First Impressions

thrAsher
12-25-2003, 12:15 AM
Well, I was out buying a last minute gift for my little bro today, and picked up Arx on the trip.

I've only had a couple hours to play, and already all I can say is it sucks HUGE!

Okay, I'm kidding. Just busting your balls.

So, about this game....think Morrowind....now think Morrowind underground....now think slightly worse graphics (but better NPC/enemy animations), better combat (blood spews), an intriguing magic system (linked combos OR you can go the 'arcade magic' route), fully spoken dialogue (so far), the ability to create potions, cook food (combinations of ingredients make for better meals), fish, all set w/in a dark and forboding story w/ creepy music, ambient dialogue (people clearing their throats, telling jokes, right now some guy is complaining about only having chicken to eat)....Oh! oh! and add a stealth meter..... :cool:

Yeah, wow.

But then again, it's not like Morrowind in the fashion that you can just cruise along. There are loading screens and levels. But levels are simply maps, and yes, you can go back. Indeed, you have to after an hour or so into the game.

Mind you, reader, this is a first glance. I could hate the game in three days. As it is, collecting ingredients (mix water and flour, make bread) and trying to figure out how to get into that secret door...it's really a nice RPG. There isn't a whole lot to choosing your character's face model, and you are given a name at the beginning, and no, there is no class system (you simply are better at magic or opening locks or finding secret doors or combat, as you choose), but there is a lot of good in this game.

If you hated Morrowind, you'll hate Arx. If you loved Morrowind, or are an avid RPG fan, you'll be glad to add this somewhat dated (2 years?) PC port to your collection. It's really shaping up to be a fun romp.

:cheers:

brozz
01-08-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm about 20 hrs into Arx Fatalis, and I love this game.
The graphics are very good, except for the water effects, they're aren't that great, but that's a small detail and doesn't take away from the game at all.
The sound is awesome, from the screams of tortured Goblins to the echo of the caves, it's all very ambient and works great to compliment the games dark, eerie atmosphere. You can even eavesdrop on your enemies conversation through walls and doors.
The battle system is weapons and magic based, although the magic spells don't really get interesting until your into the game about ten hours or so. There are hundreds of items and upgrades for magic, weapons and armour throughout the game.
The game is huge, and non linear, so you can explore just about everywhere, well, except for areas that need to be "unlocked" by completing different quests. In fact, theres so much to do I couldn't possibly get into all the details here. So much in fact, that I wish there were a guide available for the game (or if there is I haven't seen one yet)
All in all, Arx is a great RPG, and a great addition for your Xbxo collection.
Just a thought ... if your into Final Fantasy, or other Japanese RPGs that "hold your hand and walk you through the game" then Arx probably isn't for you. But if you like a more "open" PC like RPG like Morrowind or Daggerfall, then you should give Arx a look.

Lord Vivic
01-15-2004, 04:37 PM
It is not the first rpg i would play.It wasnt what i was looking for in an rpg.

CarGuy
01-15-2004, 06:17 PM
It's an O.K. game.. I dont regret buying it yet..

thrAsher
01-15-2004, 06:54 PM
It's just nice to have another RPG for the Xbox. I haven't picked it up again, but that's just 'cuz I want to start over and I'm a little addicted to XBL at the moment.

Lord Vivic
01-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Well ,that helps explains the your impressions of the game.:eek:

thrAsher
01-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Lord Vivic
Well ,that helps explains the your impressions of the game.:eek:

:huh:
Are you trying to say the only reason I like it is 'cuz it's an RPG? Well, that's only partially true. All in all it's a solid game, and I've enjoyed the 30 hours I've put into it as much as I did playing Morrowind. If I didn't buy a game every other week, I'd probably be spending a lot more time w/ Arx. Heck, I like it a lot more than Deus Ex...

Lord Vivic
01-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Well,you got a point there.Well i was proven wrong and i submit.LOL;)