PDA

View Full Version : I have to admit.. POP was a lil overrated

TegSkywalker
12-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was one of those games that reviewers loved. Got a 9.6 on IGN and other review sites were proclaiming it as the game of the year and so forth. I did not buy the game (rented) but it is another one of those cases where you shouldn't buy into the hype.

I am into action and adventure games but POP constantly annoyed me with its lack of... hmm excitement. The entire game is one jumping puzzle from here to there followed by fighting a handful of guys and back to the jumping puzzles again.

For years I have had mixed reactions about games with jumping puzzles here and there. POP pulled that pin on the grenade and I literally exploded.

I really cannot play this game cuz it annoys the hell out of me. Where reviewers blind when they rated this game? What new elements to the genre does it add? I could care less about the storyline and it just did not seem to flow.

Do any of you agree on this game getting a lil too hyped up?

mattgame
12-25-2003, 07:54 PM
No.

studepaber
12-25-2003, 08:04 PM
nahhhh i think it's a great game, I'm just pi$$ed off at it right now because i'm stuck at this one part :(

mattgame
12-25-2003, 08:07 PM
I finished it Studepaber. Maybe I can help.

BunnyRabbit
12-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Hmmm... Well, some people are irritated to death and all by some games. Like GunValkyrie. I dont know how I beat it without breaking my controller because it got SUPER annoying. PoP however.. I liked it. The Demo at least. Whether or not puzzle fight puzzle as you say. It was enjoyable.
DOESNT BEAT ZELDA THOUGH!!! :p

LINKINPARK8591
12-26-2003, 12:23 AM
i'm ehh so-- so on this game although i somewhat think it's a little hyped but i can't say that for sure yet

Unreal
12-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by t_howell
No.

Sigma
12-26-2003, 10:45 AM
The Prince of Persia series has always been known for it's puzzles. So I expected a ton of puzzles in The Sands of Time and it delived so no I don't think it is overrated and I agree with the reviews it is one of the best games of the year if not the best.

DocHoliday78
12-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Friend got it for xmas and he is loving it right now. I must say that the graphics are beautifull. If you are having that much trouble with it just go to www.gamefaqs.com

JJaX
12-26-2003, 03:45 PM
I borrowed it from a friend, and im 60% complete. And im enjoying every second of it.

You play a game like this, and you wonder why some other companies even bother releasing games.

It so polished and fluid, the game oozes quality.

CRAYMAN
12-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was one of those games that reviewers loved. Got a 9.6 on IGN and other review sites were proclaiming it as the game of the year and so forth. I did not buy the game (rented) but it is another one of those cases where you shouldn't buy into the hype.
I really cannot play this game cuz it annoys the hell out of me. Where reviewers blind when they rated this game? What new elements to the genre does it add? I could care less about the storyline and it just did not seem to flow.

I agree. I picked this one up because of the stellar reviews but quickly became disenchanted. I loved the original side scroller on the Genesis, but I don't like all the jumping and hopping from one limb to the next. Maybe I'm getting old, but it seemed like Atari Pitfall in (beautifully rendered) 3d and bored me.:huh:

Although some gamers seem to really love it, no way is this Game of the Year material.

Trento52
12-27-2003, 03:26 AM
i got it for xmas and am already stuck really early in the game but it is a nice looking game, really smooth, and good atmosphere and stuff but i am not really a big fan. I think they should have a way better fighting system then just mostly X. Good game but not GOTY.

JJaX
12-27-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Trento52
i got it for xmas and am already stuck really early in the game but it is a nice looking game, really smooth, and good atmosphere and stuff but i am not really a big fan. I think they should have a way better fighting system then just mostly X. Good game but not GOTY.

You can parry, do certain moves off the wall, off of enemies, and certain dagger attacks.

THe fighting seems simple at first, but once you realize every button you press has an cause and effect, you realize you can defeat enemies in a artistic manner.

Where are you stuck? Maybe i can help...

LTM360
12-27-2003, 11:00 AM
I won it from Xboxaddict and I don't know if Im gonna like it. I played the demo and I found overall just boring, I mean it has unbelivable animations, and things of that nature, I just found no entertainment in the game. So im kinda thinking just say PoP was a gift and I had two copies, and getting Max Payne 2 instead... Would anyone mind compairing the demo with the full version, as far as action and stuff like that. Im looking to rent it but nobody around here has it.

mattgame
12-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Unreal

Do you mean to say that you have all of those games? Oh my stars and garters! Let's talk shop.

blonks
12-27-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker

I am into action and adventure games but POP constantly annoyed me with its lack of... hmm excitement. The entire game is one jumping puzzle from here to there followed by fighting a handful of guys and back to the jumping puzzles again.

For years I have had mixed reactions about games with jumping puzzles here and there. POP pulled that pin on the grenade and I literally exploded.

ya know...maybe we could work out a trade...if you hate it...ill take it!

hey thats a nice slogan

anyways...ill do 2 for 1 heres my list

http://www.tradegamesnow.com/index.cfm?act=user&un=Blinx

Cryogenic Pyro
12-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Personally, I love Prince of Persia. I'm at 40% through, and I barely every get hit fighting, and I turn the fighting into an art(like JJaX said). That's where a lot of the fun comes from. More of the fun comes from solving the puzzles. The rest of the fun comes from them both put together.

If you don't like solving puzzles this game is not for you. I like puzzle solving games, as long as they have some action, which this game does.

BinaryXtreme
12-28-2003, 02:09 AM
The game is beautiful but I found the game play lacking and slow. Didn't live up to the hype to me either. Already traded it.

The Jackal
12-28-2003, 07:28 PM
this game is only good for renting.... i beat it in like the first 2 days and loved it but i know itd be a waste of money to buy

Trento52
12-29-2003, 04:00 AM
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ME

Now what i think:
actually i like the game i changed my mind and got more into it and i think it is really good and clever. Plus i think that era was interesting to put a game in. In it's genre it wins GOTY but the best part i enjoyed and my sister loved watching was the camera angles in the fights and wacky puzzles. She was really impressed by this game in the gameplay and graphics because it is a beautiful game she even compared it to a movie in not only the way it looks but just the game itself. I think everybody should atleast try it and really give it a chance because i thought it was mediocre at first but it is great game.

Spaztic
12-29-2003, 11:42 AM
This game is off the hook! I am 93% done and cannot figure out this one part....but hey this game ownz!

mattgame
12-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
This game is off the hook! I am 93% done and cannot figure out this one part....but hey this game ownz!

You gotta wall jump between the towers.:D

l Maximus l
12-29-2003, 03:58 PM
I haven't played the full version, but, the demo seemed pretty cool to me....and it looked great despite it being a multi-platformer. :)

Slowride
12-29-2003, 05:06 PM
puzzles -- the word just oozes with excitement doesn't it?

JJaX
12-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by ChampTTU
puzzles -- the word just oozes with excitement doesn't it?

Yeah who the F wants to actually think when playing a game? :rolleyes: