PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and Ninty Merging or a takeover?

blackiee2002
12-27-2003, 05:39 PM
in the recent EDGE Magazine, this was quoted:

RedEye can't say much more about who's going to be involved with the second generation of Microsoft's attempt to invade your living room, but just because it's you, here's a hint : IT'S A-ME MASTER CHIEF-IO. Don't tell anyone though - this news is on a strictly need to knintendow basis. Just between you and RedEye, Okay? Great

This seems very interesting, there was a rumor of this two companies merging together, but it was shot down several times. that happen to the Rare rumor to.

if you look at it closely, there is somewhat trught to it. before mircosoft came in to console wars, they wanted to buy Ninty for 20 billion, but Ninty declined; how stupid, now they are not even worth that amount. and moreover, it seems there can't be room for 3 consoles, so one has to go. now who might that be? the more you put stuff together, the more it becomes obvious. mircosoft merges or takes over Ninty and for one hardware and leaves the handheld for Ninty and even may be help them with games such as Halo etc. its a win win situation for everyone except Sony. i can na like that idea.

what are your inputs on this, do you guys even like the idea even to have Ninty on our side?

LiquidX
12-27-2003, 05:48 PM
I would love for Microsoft to buy Nintendo. Imagine a Metroid game made by Bungie and Nintendo... A new Rare Donkey Kong Game... and a Mario Kart with the Master Chief. The possibilities are great!

blackiee2002
12-27-2003, 05:54 PM
u bet
Ninty + Mircosoft
Metroid P + Halo
Zelda non celshaded for X2
New next gen Donky kong etc
kart racing game with mario, Master chief
its truly endless. we will have to wait though to see if it indeed happens

Fanboy5000
12-27-2003, 06:16 PM
If this ever comes to pass, I will eat my Air Force Ones.

I really hope no one thinks this is going to happen.

SmileBit
12-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Nintendo is making more money off their GameCube than ANYONE else in this console market. They will pull out when they lose 2 billion dollars. Oh wait MS has already lost OVER 2 billion dollars in the console market. They are going to be the first ones to pull out.

Add to the fact that MS has the lowest percentage of console marketshare and youll be seeing MS pull out pretty soon.

Sigma
12-27-2003, 06:22 PM
I don't see it happening. Nintendo won't go down without a fight. I love Nintendo although im a bit disapointed with the Gamecube. The Gamecube got off to a great start now things have started to slow down alot. I think Nintendo has at least one more trick in it's hat.

blackiee2002
12-27-2003, 06:33 PM
[Nintendo is making more money off their GameCube than ANYONE else in this console market. They will pull out when they lose 2 billion dollars. Oh wait MS has already lost OVER 2 billion dollars in the console market. They are going to be the first ones to pull out.]

oh uhh? here comes the NInty fanboys crying foul?

[Add to the fact that MS has the lowest percentage of console marketshare and youll be seeing MS pull out pretty soon.]

that is exactly flase, they rather have the highest attach ratio of games to a console, if more so than ps2 who have over 60 mil installed base. face it man its over. it was a good long fight but they can't continue any more. unless they change and overhaul most of thier thinking i don't see them having an effect on the next gen wars.

come next gen, you will either sink or swim so fast like monster chasing you. either gamers will win:D

SmileBit
12-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by blackiee2002

oh uhh? here comes the NInty fanboys crying foul?

that is exactly flase, they rather have the highest attach ratio of games to a console, if more so than ps2 who have over 60 mil installed base. face it man its over. it was a good long fight but they can't continue any more. unless they change and overhaul most of thier thinking i don't see them having an effect on the next gen wars.

come next gen, you will either sink or swim so fast like monster chasing you. either gamers will win:D

I was just saying the XBox is the least popular console in the world. At least number wise it is. MS cant be happy about this.

Why are you talking about games ratio? This has nothing to do with how many games are available for the xbox.

blackiee2002
12-27-2003, 06:46 PM
i meant xbox gamers buy more games than any other system out there and that is what developers like. and that is the most important thing; not the amount of the installed base. it is developers don't care if a system sells 100 mil systems, what they care about is whether thier games will sell on that system period. and it seems the xbox is that system if you look at the game to system attach ratio. i think it is 9 games to every 1 console

blonks
12-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by SmileBit
Nintendo is making more money off their GameCube than ANYONE else in this console market. They will pull out when they lose 2 billion dollars. Oh wait MS has already lost OVER 2 billion dollars in the console market. They are going to be the first ones to pull out.

Add to the fact that MS has the lowest percentage of console marketshare and youll be seeing MS pull out pretty soon.
read the news lately? gamecube is doing the worst out of all of them

and why the hell are you on a xbox forum if your a nintendo guy?

dances with broom sticks
12-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by blinx

read the news lately? gamecube is doing the worst out of all of them

and why the hell are you on a xbox forum if your a nintendo guy?

Because he likes attention. If he goes to a gamecube forum, he would fit in with everyone else, and no one would pay attention to him. At least here a few people pay attention.

Slacker
12-27-2003, 08:30 PM
the purchase price for Nintendo was in the hundreds of millions not billions,Microsft is only worth 300 billion, ONE billion dollars is one thousand million dollars, Nintendo is a Small fry company compared to Sony and Microsoft, nintendo only sells games and consoles , Sony and Microsft own over half the world entertanimnet and computer industry ,
Nintendo will be bought out, or chopped up and sold off , they can't compete for much longer, Microsoft wants Nintendo , you should read "opening the Xbox" its all about how Micrsoft tried to buy Nintendo ,,,,, nintendo knows they should of sold , in five years I wouldn't be suprised if all the Gaming industry was only owned by Sony or microsoft,,,,,,,,or just Microsoft ,,

Rockraven
12-27-2003, 08:44 PM
It was 20 billion, but Nintendo isn't worth nearly that much now.

Edit:

Btw, Sony is losing money in almost everything accept it's Playstation brand. While Nintendo is only a video game company, they're debt free and profitable in the business (mainly because of the GB). Contrary to popular belief, they're just as well funded as Sony, and at the moment they're sitting on a $6 billion dollar warchest that they're (reportedly) going to put to full use next generation.

Not quite a "small fry" at all.

blackiee2002
12-27-2003, 09:00 PM
thanks for the clarification it is indeed in millions not in billions. what was i thinking. any way i bet u ninty wished they had been bought out, but it may not be too late. but this will be the last chance they get or their gonna get screwed

blonks
12-27-2003, 09:43 PM
but even if they are worth 6 billion....who in the hells gonna buy them!??!?!

SniperPete
12-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Well how bout this fanboy. If Xbox is the worst of the three consoles. Riddle me this. Why is everyone else copying from it. Hard drives ETC. Xbox isnt the worst of the 3. You put a PS and A ***cube together and they still dont equal to an Xbox. Xbox will always be superior . I bet playstation 3 wont beat the graphics on xbox 1

Cryogenic Pyro
12-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by SniperPete
Well how bout this fanboy. If Xbox is the worst of the three consoles. Riddle me this. Why is everyone else copying from it. Hard drives ETC. Xbox isnt the worst of the 3. You put a PS and A ***cube together and they still dont equal to an Xbox. Xbox will always be superior . I bet playstation 3 wont beat the graphics on xbox 1
Now, now, don't go doing what he's doing. You know full well that the Playstation 3 will blow the hell out of Xbox, and we can only wait and see if it will be worse than Xbox 2.

xbox genius
12-28-2003, 01:02 AM
lol took me a while to figure out that ninty stands for nintendo...

i think that it would be great... of course i doubt it will ever come true. i just want all the multiplayer on nintendo to be on xbox... monkey ball, mario party, mario kart, super smash bros, etc. those games are FUN. a zelda game under xbox graphics or xbox 2 graphics would be too good to be true.

Highlite23
12-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Sorry Nintendo fans, but the only time GC makes money is when they drop the price, most of Nintendos money comes from the Game Boy cash cow.

And once again i will state...You can make any set of numbers represent whatever you want them to, twist them turn them, and make them work to your benefit.

And lastly, if anyone is suffering in game development or quantaty of games it sure isn't MS or Sony.

If Nintendo stopped recycling old charecters and games they may stand a chance.

blackiee2002
12-28-2003, 04:32 PM
think about this for a moment. there is room for only two consoles. Microsoft came in just as Sega got ousted out of the wars. what did they bring to the table you ask? well they brought more competition, and also raised the competition to a whole new level.

Sony seems to notice this and is compying every move Microsoft makes. Hard drive, Online play, Karaoke machine etc. and what has Ninty done to react to buss? Nada that is right absolutely nothing, rather they keep relying on Mario to do everything for them. i can only say one thing buckle up guys for a wild ride come next generation. i repeat there is room for only two. so Ninty better make some wise decisions before its too late.

ShadowWolf
12-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Master Chief in Mario Kart? If that ever happened I'd never play Halo or Halo 2 again, or any Mario Kart game.

I wouldn't want to see Microsoft take over Nintendo. It'd be the end of the world.

blackiee2002
12-28-2003, 05:13 PM
[I wouldn't want to see Microsoft take over Nintendo. It'd be the end of the world]

is either that or you never see Mario kart game ever again. chose?

ShaDovV RyDer
12-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Geez that would be pretty tight...i mean think of wut it would be like to play all these awsume games from Ninty online...this is a great idea and with Ninty coming to an end in about 8 years or so this would be the most profitable move for ninty...btw if ne of u guys saw the E3 X-Play u would alrdy know that Ninty is in fact making another system for the war...so ninty isnt out just yet but with all these games coming out for xbox and ps2 next year it will be an incredibly bumpy ride for u fanboys like Smilebit....o well i hope ninty makes the right choice over the next decade...pce

blackiee2002
12-28-2003, 05:36 PM
check this out too

What has happened to Nintendo? The Washington Post tries to explain why the former industry titan has fallen by the way-side (#3) in the video-game world...
Source The Washington Post

At the industry's main trade show this year, Nintendo executives "talked about how they wanted to be cutting edge and create great new games," said P.J. McNealy, an analyst at American Technology Review. "Then they rolled out a new version of Pac Man, which is about as old school as it gets, besides maybe Pong."
The lack of new offerings has some analysts wondering if the once-dominant Japanese company may be waning, the next Sega, consigned to make video games instead of selling the machines that play them.

Tried-and-true titles from Nintendo are still selling, but they are seeing diminishing returns. The most recent game in the company's popular Zelda series, called The Wind Waker, was one of the year's best-selling games. Since it became available in March, 1.3 million units have sold to date, according to research firm NPD. Not bad, but the 1998 release in the series, called Occarina of Time, sold more than 2 million copies in less than two months for Nintendo's last console, the Nintendo 64.

After a year of mostly lackluster sales for the GameCube console (save a recent spurt following a recent price cut) and declining support from game developers, it looks as though Nintendo may have miscalculated. In the United States and Europe, the $99 GameCube is No. 3 in sales, behind Sony's $180 PlayStation 2 and the similarly priced Xbox. In Japan, the GameCube is No. 2, behind PlayStation. The actual numbers are more telling; Sony has sold about 60 million PlayStation 2s around the globe so far, compared with roughly 10 million each for Nintendo and Microsoft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28949-

SmileBit
12-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ShaDovV RyDer
Geez that would be pretty tight...i mean think of wut it would be like to play all these awsume games from Ninty online...this is a great idea and with Ninty coming to an end in about 8 years or so this would be the most profitable move for ninty...btw if ne of u guys saw the E3 X-Play u would alrdy know that Ninty is in fact making another system for the war...so ninty isnt out just yet but with all these games coming out for xbox and ps2 next year it will be an incredibly bumpy ride for u fanboys like Smilebit....o well i hope ninty makes the right choice over the next decade...pce

Of course Nintendo is making another system for next gen. Why wouldnt they? They are in fact the most profitable company in this console market. Their systems and games have been selling off the charts for the past few months.

A Microsoft merger? I doubt it. Nintendo shot MS down earlier when MS offered them 6 billion dollars. Now with Nintendo making more money than ever their going to be bought out? LOL. Thats pretty pathetic if you think so. Nintendo has seen what MS can do. MS throws over 2 billion dollars at a console and it barely hangs on for 3rd place in the worldwide market. What happens when MS throws less money at the XBox 2? Nintendo isnt to thrilled with the fact that MS has bombed financially on the XBox and bombed big time in Japan. Microsoft NEEDS to buy someone out real quick because their losing ground fast.

LOL at the Rare buyout. Tons of high up Rare members leave after the buyout leaving the less skilled left. Their first game was a flop. Now the Q man in EGM is reporting that their canceling a ton of their games AND making something for XBox Next in which a garden grows with the number of games you play on your XBox Next. The signs are pointing that MS wont be with us after the XBox Next fails next gen.

AloneInTheDark
12-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Jesus christ would you shut your fanboy trap. Microsoft did not waste 2 billion dollars, they had lost a couple million, but only to us xbox owners, and to make the xbox as good as it could be. Second off, Nintendo (next gen console speaking, ruling out gameboy) is not making more of a profit only selling more systems, for almost 80 dollars less. Isn't it pitiful that you have to lower the cost of your product for a couple pennies more than dirt to have a success. I wish you would just shut up, and oh double dash, what a success :P

RagunCajun
12-29-2003, 03:17 AM
I never heard of Mircosoft loosing money on xbox. I though the xbox did really good in the USA and Europe. I only though it didnt do well in like china and those places. I think on xplay they said that. not sure. I think xbox will continue to grow. I am a ps2 fan but the xbox is damn good. I play it alot more.:D

Sodacider
12-29-2003, 04:55 AM
to the person who made the thread...

did you seriously say 254 billion dollar offer?

wtf, research.

CharlieHustle
12-29-2003, 07:09 AM
Hey smilebit i have a question for u..

What games are you currently playin now?? In your GC.. Can you name five games that will be released by march that you cant wait to have for the GC?? Also are you speakin of nintendo profits from the GC, or overall profits?? We all know they make most of their money from the handhelds, thats why they had to drop the price of the gamecube to $99. Be for real.

ShaDovV RyDer
12-29-2003, 09:42 AM
SmileBit just to let u no wut i said in my last thread was pretty much that it was extremly questionable at E3 weather or not Ninty would even try to make another console after the flop that is GameCube...ill tell u right now that if next time around Ninty doesnt have at least 50 great games online, DVD capabilities, and be able to play CDs i bet they will drop out b4 having their next console out even 2 years...they need to get out of their little world of they will sell using 20 year old stratagies and get with the program...BTW CharlieHustle made a good point...wut games u lookin forward to in 2004??? i cant even remember there being ne coming out then...i also havnt heard nething about Metroid 2...is ur best bud Ninty goin to even try for it...not to mention Animal Crossing 2...again, Ninty had its days but they r all gone...sry but u need to face reality dude...i had a GC and it suked so bad i traded it in for an xbox...pce

blackiee2002
12-29-2003, 01:11 PM
[did you seriously say 254 billion dollar offer?]

its clearly a typo.

E Nomini Patri
12-29-2003, 01:41 PM

its clearly a typo.

It's clear that you should use the edit button :)

I can't believe Nintendo is going to make another console. They should just forget that and concentrate on their crummy little GameBoys.

Fanboy5000
12-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Fact: Nintendo IS going to make another console.

And the Gamecube isn't that much of a "flop", it's doing pretty well in Japan.

CharlieHustle
12-30-2003, 01:49 PM
I dont live in japan, so i dont care what goes on in japan. After the n64 and dreamcast obvoius dependency on the japanese market, the xbox to me is what us american gamers need. If anyone ever notice, the GC is totally dependent on the japanese, they cater to them, which is rightfully so since they(the big n) are based there. And that doesnt apply to us gamers over here because we have totally different taste when it comes to gaming anyways.

blackiee2002
12-30-2003, 01:57 PM
if t hey make a mistake making a new console, they will risk shooting themselves in the foot.

dances with broom sticks
12-30-2003, 02:21 PM
if t hey make a mistake making a new console, they will risk shooting themselves in the foot.

If MS makes a mistake making a new console, they will risk shooting themselves in the foot. Isnt it the same for everyone?

smack_roscoe
12-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Aw c'mon fellas dont beat up on this guy. Ninty is directly marketing to guys like him. Y'know little kids that like "cutesy" games with colorful charecters jumping around or rescuing the princess. The GC has those cool colors like Teletubbies. It's a fine toy for children.

Heck, If I had kids, I'd get them a GC too.

blackiee2002
12-30-2003, 02:27 PM
[Aw c'mon fellas dont beat up on this guy. Ninty is directly marketing to guys like him. Y'know little kids that like "cutesy" games with colorful charecters jumping around or rescuing the princess. The GC has those cool colors like Teletubbies. It's a fine toy for children. ] :watchout:

you're not talking about me are ya?

Fanboy5000
12-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by CharlieHustle
I dont live in japan, so i dont care what goes on in japan. After the n64 and dreamcast obvoius dependency on the japanese market, the xbox to me is what us american gamers need. If anyone ever notice, the GC is totally dependent on the japanese, they cater to them, which is rightfully so since they(the big n) are based there. And that doesnt apply to us gamers over here because we have totally different taste when it comes to gaming anyways.

That's respectable, and makes sence.

"Aw c'mon fellas dont beat up on this guy. Ninty is directly marketing to guys like him. Y'know little kids that like "cutesy" games with colorful charecters jumping around or rescuing the princess. The GC has those cool colors like Teletubbies. It's a fine toy for children. Heck, If I had kids, I'd get them a GC too."

My goodness, shut the **** up. What are you, man? 13? Do you think bright colors are going to turn you ***? Grow the **** up.

blackiee2002
12-30-2003, 06:16 PM
let him know.

dances with broom sticks
12-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Fanboy5000

That's respectable, and makes sence.

"Aw c'mon fellas dont beat up on this guy. Ninty is directly marketing to guys like him. Y'know little kids that like "cutesy" games with colorful charecters jumping around or rescuing the princess. The GC has those cool colors like Teletubbies. It's a fine toy for children. Heck, If I had kids, I'd get them a GC too."

My goodness, shut the **** up. What are you, man? 13? Do you think bright colors are going to turn you ***? Grow the **** up.

He never mentioned *** once? He just said gamecube had lots of colours, and was more directed towards kids? having games like bay blades and stuff like that seems pretty kiddy to me? True all systems have these games, but his opinion was that gamecube has more.

No need to get so defensive ;)

Fanboy5000
12-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Sorry, but I just don't get it. Playing on an Xbox or PS2 dosen't make you seem more mature or badass or whatever, does it?

jayhawk3
12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
This is for the people (AloneInTheDark, RagunCajun) who didn't know Microsoft is losing HUGE money on the X-Box:

http://www.itworld.com/App/4201/030203xboxlosses/

It's a few months old, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft hasn't recouped $348 MILLION in 6 months. Anyone who says the X-Box is making money is lying. A good article about it is here:

http://www.red-mercury.com/mmceo/mmceo_current.html

They describe the general method of selling the console at a loss and then recouping the money on software sales. They cite each X-Box owner having to buy 20-30 games to break-even. Sony and Nintendo are doing this too, but their break-even point is much much lower because of lower production costs on their consoles. I'm sure Nintendo is losing a bit of money on the Cube now at $99, but they were actually profiting on it at its launch price.

So, AloneInTheDark, you might wanna "shut your fanboy trap" and come up with some sources before you just spout out misinformation about X-Box making a profit.

And smack_roscoe, your post is the kind that makes the entire internet a little stupider. Fanboy5000 nicely, and bluntley, summed up what I'd say.

Now, as for the TOPIC of this thread.

As a long time owner of a GC and a recent purchaser of an X-Box, I hope this is true. Both systems have fantastic games, but owning two systems is hard on the wallet and I doubt I will buy 2 next-gen systems again. I love Zelda, Mario Kart, and Metroid. But I also enjoy Halo and the sports support that X-Box receives. Combine these and you have a Playstation Killer. Unfortunatley, it won't happen. Nintendo IS still making money on the Gamecube, even if it's not much. As long as Nintendo is turning a profit they will not be bought out.

Thanks,
jayhawk3

smack_roscoe
12-31-2003, 12:16 PM
"My goodness, shut the **** up. What are you, man? 13? Do you think bright colors are going to turn you ***? Grow the **** up."

Y'know FANBOY5000 I always thought you were a cold, somewhat sophisticated, just the facts kind of guy. Now I see your actually quite...emotional.

Settle down Beavis. No one is questioning your orientation. Well, I'm not anyway. Why so defensive? :huh:

All I'm saying is that Nintendo directly markets to kids. Nothing, groundbreaking/ provacative /offensive by that statement. I'm not the only one that thinks so. All I said was If I had kids, I'd surely get them a GameCube.

Fanboy5000
12-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Well, I don't know what to tell ya, I'm just seriously tired of hearing that the GC is for kids.

lol, i'm not emo though.

OC Noob
12-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jayhawk3
This is for the people (AloneInTheDark, RagunCajun) who didn't know Microsoft is losing HUGE money on the X-Box:

http://www.itworld.com/App/4201/030203xboxlosses/

It's a few months old, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft hasn't recouped $348 MILLION in 6 months. Anyone who says the X-Box is making money is lying. A good article about it is here:

http://www.red-mercury.com/mmceo/mmceo_current.html

They describe the general method of selling the console at a loss and then recouping the money on software sales. They cite each X-Box owner having to buy 20-30 games to break-even. Sony and Nintendo are doing this too, but their break-even point is much much lower because of lower production costs on their consoles. I'm sure Nintendo is losing a bit of money on the Cube now at $99, but they were actually profiting on it at its launch price.

So, AloneInTheDark, you might wanna "shut your fanboy trap" and come up with some sources before you just spout out misinformation about X-Box making a profit.

And smack_roscoe, your post is the kind that makes the entire internet a little stupider. Fanboy5000 nicely, and bluntley, summed up what I'd say.

Now, as for the TOPIC of this thread.

As a long time owner of a GC and a recent purchaser of an X-Box, I hope this is true. Both systems have fantastic games, but owning two systems is hard on the wallet and I doubt I will buy 2 next-gen systems again. I love Zelda, Mario Kart, and Metroid. But I also enjoy Halo and the sports support that X-Box receives. Combine these and you have a Playstation Killer. Unfortunatley, it won't happen. Nintendo IS still making money on the Gamecube, even if it's not much. As long as Nintendo is turning a profit they will not be bought out.

Thanks,
jayhawk3

You have sources, but with quotes like this:

"Sony has done exactly this with the Playstation 2. Two of their largest chips will now fit on to one chip. Sony invested $1 billion in their own chip fabrication facility. Now you know why. Microsoft, on the other hand, grabbed a bunch of off-the-shelf chips from a variety of vendors and shoved them together in an absolutely huge, expensive, heavy box that looks a lot like a PC and would probably maim a small child if it fell off the top of a TV."

Its hard for me to believe this information isn't seriously biased and the write even admits to not having hard numbers from MS. So he is making all his figures up. You or I could do the same thing in some totally lame unsupported guesstimation of how the Xbox is doing.

If you're going to claim something atleast have some decent souces.

Your first source is a good one, but you have perverted its meaning so much that its unrecognizable. Sure it works with the spin you are putting on things, but its totally inacurate.

First off, the 350 million dollar lose is for the Division, not just the Xbox. There are a lot of other segments in that division that are losing a lot of money. The MS Business Solutions division lost 93 million of that alone and they have nothing to do with Xbox.

The only acurate information you can take from that article is that Xbox is a part of a division that is losing money, not that the Xbox division is losing money.

I'm not saying Xbox is making money or losing money, but you can't come here linking that article and tell me Xbox is losing money.

I could see them losing money or (with an attachment rate of what, 8 games per console sold?) making a bit.

That second article is terrible, he has no idea how much it costs to make Xboxes or the effect of Moore's Law on Xbox parts. MS is the only entity with that information and they aren't releasing it. So we can guess all we want, and thats all it will be, a guess.

Hell, the Xbox is about $50 in parts at most (manufacturer cost, not street cost). I really wouldn't be surprized if Nintendo was losing more dough on hardware now.

yall
12-31-2003, 02:17 PM
"Sony has done exactly this with the Playstation 2. Two of their largest chips will now fit on to one chip. Sony invested $1 billion in their own chip fabrication facility. Now you know why. Microsoft, on the other hand, grabbed a bunch of off-the-shelf chips from a variety of vendors and shoved them together in an absolutely huge, expensive, heavy box that looks a lot like a PC and would probably maim a small child if it fell off the top of a TV."

That quote pretty much sums up who is paying the author. Has the weight or size of your Xbox ever been a factor? To be honest the volume and weight of the Xbox isn't that much different than a PS2.

In fact, here are the dimensions and weight:

XBOX
Width 30 cm
Depth 18 cm
Height 8 cm
Weight 4 kg

PS2
Width 30.1 cm
Depth 18.2 cm
Height 7.8 cm
Weight 2.2 kg

and the link:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/gaming/playstation2/productView.htm?quicklinx=2S38

Not much of a difference huh? Yet it seems to have been one of the biggest knocks on the Xbox.

Expensive? Not at all. The Xbox has mirrored the PS2 in price, and with the bundle deals available, its actually cheaper.

Looks like a PC? What is this guy smoking? I wish my PC looked like my Xbox.

Is there some problem with using a variety of vendors? The author makes it seem that this "thrown together, cheapie PC" might come with a Voodoo2 or a Rage128, who knows what you'll get?

When I see articles that gloat about MS losing money and how other companies are doing soooo much better, I tend to ignore them.

jayhawk3
12-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the good reply OC Noob.

You are right, the first link states that the sector that the X-Box is in, "Home Entertainment", is losing $348 Million. We can't judge how much the X-Box itself is losing or gaining, but we can use a little bit of logic. I imagine everyone would agree that the #1 product from Microsoft's Home Entertainment sector is the X-Box. Now if a sector is losing that much cash, it can be pretty much assumed that their #1 product is not turning a profit. Sure, we don't have direct proof, but I think that's pretty obvious.

And this is likely not because of huge losses in hardware, but more likely due to a huge advertising budget. But this has been Microsoft's strategy all along... they knew they would lose money or at best break even on the X-Box, but they simply wanted a foothold into this huge market.

Now, the second link is clearly biased. I'll agree. I posted it not to show "how bad the X-Box is", because I quite like mine. It was an article to show how companies market consoles. Everyone sells them at a loss, not just Microsoft. And the article states that.

Anyway, if those sources didn't meet your standards, here's another one.

A press release from Microsoft:

http://quickstart.clari.net/qs_se/webnews/wed/cb/Uus-microsoft.RrhA_DlJ.html

"Microsoft said this week that its Xbox video game console has crossed some important thresholds as a business, but is still losing money."

Straight from the horses mouth. Then an analyst, who I assume doesn't work for MS, stated they will lose $1.7 billon by the end of 2003.

Thanks,
jayhawk3

ScottTheKilla
12-31-2003, 03:54 PM
Hmm all this arguing and it just makes me more happy I am fortunate to have all 3 systems in my possession.:cheers:

Another thing though...since when do we call nintendo "ninty"? Did I not get this memo? lol

Doom3_
12-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Wow!

blackiee2002
12-31-2003, 06:11 PM
happy new year and hope two systems will be left standing when next gen comes:D