PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD Drive Is In Your Xbox?

J Dub
12-29-2003, 03:49 PM
I have no clue if this has been done before, but anyways....

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Thompson DVD drive, and over the past few days it seems that more problems have been surfacing. So I finally took a minute to check which DVD drive I had, and to my dismay....it was a Thompson.

So I'm wondering, which DVD drive is in your Xbox?

Discretion
12-29-2003, 03:53 PM
I have a Samsung. :D

Chr0nik
12-29-2003, 04:03 PM
I have a thompson drive. I have had a few issues over the past 2 weeks so I cleaned the drive with compressed air. Now all seems well. Keeping fingers crossed.

xthugking
12-29-2003, 04:56 PM
super samsung!

E Nomini Patri
12-29-2003, 05:04 PM
I got a Thompson, it isn't as bad as people say it is. A DDE every few months or so, but it usually isn't the drive. Guess I got a good one :)

Pipetender
12-29-2003, 05:11 PM
I had a Thompson for a year then returned my box and got a Samsung. Vice City still freezes though. :(

xbox genius
12-29-2003, 05:31 PM
yeah i found out my xbox has a thompson about a couple of days ago.... that put me down ... but at least its still working fine

only problems i got was about a max of 5 game freezes... a few in spinter cell and a few in halo.... but thats it ... eveyrthing is good to go... and i hope it stays that way for a LONG time

LiquidX
12-29-2003, 05:59 PM
I got the Philips drive and it works great. The only DDE's I ever had happened with Morrowind, which we all know was notorious for causing DDE's when you went to the map screen. BTW, Does anyone know if that was fixed in Morowind GotY edition?

Sleazy P Martini
12-29-2003, 06:07 PM
My Philips drive works great :D The only issues I've ever had were like LiquidX......the Morrowind DDE.

ShadowWolf
12-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Samsung :D

Only a couple DDE from Morrowind with the map thingy, and 1 in Halo

ScorpionX
12-29-2003, 06:56 PM
A thompson drive that doesn't work :mad:

Cryogenic Pyro
12-29-2003, 07:00 PM
I think I have a Thompson drive, but it could be Phillips, I can't tell the difference.

Peepers
12-29-2003, 07:54 PM
I have Thompson, ya' know, the one that sucks a lot. I can barely even play Airport 1 on RS3, and it's started to mess up on the other boards too. I shall be acquiring a new Xbox in a few months though.

LiquidX
12-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro
I think I have a Thompson drive, but it could be Phillips, I can't tell the difference.

Thomson drives have a U shape in the middle when you open up the DVD. Philips have a lightbulb shape and to anyone who wants to know the Samsung has one big circular hole in the middle and two small circular holes towards the front of the tray.

ScottTheKilla
12-29-2003, 08:01 PM
I put a samsung special in mine...

DocHoliday78
12-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Thompson = teh ghey and that is what i have:cry:

Peepers
12-29-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
I got the Philips drive and it works great. The only DDE's I ever had happened with Morrowind, which we all know was notorious for causing DDE's when you went to the map screen. BTW, Does anyone know if that was fixed in Morowind GotY edition?

Morrowind GotY edition fixes the DDE's! They're gone! I can't say this for sure because I've only put about 30 hours into GotY so far, but I've yet to have a DDE, even with my advanced character and huge save files. The loading times are a b1tch though.

BunnyRabbit
12-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Unfortunately I have the piece of crap Thompson drive.. MY XBOX IS BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friggin oh well.. Casting vote ...nnnnnnnnnnnnnn........NOW~!

mitch2025
12-30-2003, 01:00 AM
i got a thompson and it works like a samsung :cheers:

Sigma
12-30-2003, 01:09 AM
I have a Samsung drive.

:cheers:

Slacker
12-30-2003, 01:26 AM
The Thompson drive is a Good drive , it just needs to be taken care of , how many of you that have a faulty Thompson leave games in the tray when you turn it off, when you turn it do you wait for the green light to stop flashing before you put close the tray?, do you wait for the green flashing light to stop before you turn it off?, I know this sound's crazy kinda , but Im sure this has an affect , I have a thopmson drive and the only problems I have are with games like Morrowind , or GTA Vice city games that have freezes , I had one DDE on Halo but I let someone borrow my halo and they thrashed it , so its a dirty disk but even though its thrashes one DDE is good and I still play it all the time ,

some are lame I got mine april 2002 , and its a Silver edition it says silver on the bottom , I don't know what that means but the other Xbox's I have seen don't say that

Heavens Gate
12-30-2003, 07:08 AM
I had 4 Xbox's. One with a phillips, 2 with Thompson and my recently Starwars and Tetris bundlle which was a Samsung. The Phillips was the absolute worst drive ever made. It died ( or the hard drive did) 2 weeks after having it. It was loud as hell after ejecting a game too. Kind of like a boat. I never had any problems with the Thompson drives except a DDE or 2 and I had those at launch. The Samsung on the other hand is the bomb and the hard drive is waay faster. I could tell the difference right away. Also after you play you games on a box with a Samsung drive and Hard Drive(Seagate I think) It uncaches your game from the hard drive. You can hear it after eject. Anyways, the Samsung's are the bizomb. They are usually bundled with the Clone Wars and Tetris. Alot of Phillips are in the JSRF packs. Don't buy those if at all possible. Get the Clone Wars bundle. And if you get a Phillips, take it back before you even play on the thing. What crap. I think it's the hard drives they put in them as well. Samsung, Samsung, Samsung:cheers:

Samsung means excellent DVD drive, Excellent HD and no headache!!!

bobby9989
12-30-2003, 08:30 AM
I have the Samsung drive. :D

SnoochyBoochy
12-30-2003, 08:58 AM
gots myself a samsung. huk huk

Yankeez
12-30-2003, 01:10 PM
the xbox i bought around launch was a thompson and the one i bought last month is a samsung there both running great

kenji
12-30-2003, 11:31 PM
I have a thompson that crapped out on me. Hopefully they'll replace it with something better. Probably not though.

factorfilms
12-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Samsung baby! :D
I've had it for about a week, it's frozen once on Morrowind, of course that was after an all night, 12 hours straight Halo session other than that no problems yet. :)

Snake Eyez
01-04-2004, 11:28 AM
My old one was a Thomson and my new one is a Samsung.

MaDDaWg836
01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I have a thomson and it never screws up on me!!:cheers:

RagunCajun
01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
thompson.....and it has issues

Hard Boiled Cop
01-05-2004, 05:31 AM
get the new Thompson. You probably got the old one. Basically buy a new xbox.