PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Drive is in my X-box?

BoundBruiser
12-30-2003, 04:49 PM
My X-box is about a year old and the laser lense is so dusty, it doesn't even work. Anyway, I need to know what kind of drive is in there, so I can get the same brand of lense on ebay. Please help me!

SniperPete
12-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Whats the tray look like. A big U, A sort of lolly pop or 2 small holes

SniperPete
12-30-2003, 04:54 PM
dude just run a cd/dvd lens cleaner cd in it. Dont wast the money

Yankeez
12-30-2003, 05:03 PM
nice double post :D

http://negativeffect.net/pictures/drives.gif

Hard Boiled Cop
12-31-2003, 04:10 PM
You got the old Thompson drive. You need the new one. Go get yourself a new xbox and it should be there. Don't and I repeat DON'T use a DVD lense cleaner. It totally busted my old xbox cos I had the old Thompson. Just get a new xbox. Much easier.

# 1 Stunner
12-31-2003, 04:14 PM
does anyone actually have one with the samsung in there without them putting it in there themselves? bc, i just got a new xbox and it looks like it has another thomspon drive like my launch xbox does that mean itll give out like the first one did?

Cryogenic Pyro
12-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by # 1 Stunner
does anyone actually have one with the samsung in there without them putting it in there themselves? bc, i just got a new xbox and it looks like it has another thomspon drive like my launch xbox does that mean itll give out like the first one did?
I bought mine early 2003 and it has a Thomson. I haven't had any major problems yet, but if I do, I have a backup plan(hopefully).

Yankeez
12-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by # 1 Stunner

i got mine from amazon.com just 5 weeks ago and it had a samsung

BananaMan
12-31-2003, 05:13 PM
I have a thompson drive, and when i play some games like NCAA football 2004, and Grand Theft Auto games, it almost always freezes or something. LIke on ncaa the band will start playing and it makes weird noises and freezes for about 2-3 seconds. But it doesn't do it on any other games, but i still may be getting a new xbox, BUT how can i get all my old game saves onto my new one?

RagunCajun
12-31-2003, 06:59 PM
I just checked mine. I have the Thomson drive. Is that good or bad and why is it good or bad?

SniperPete
12-31-2003, 08:16 PM
Bad because they mainly have a 2 year life span unless u take really good care of em. Oh an BTW you can use a DVD lens cleaner in ure thomson. Ive used 1 about 10 times and runs like a dream. You haveto use a really soft brushed lens cleaner. Mines like a piece of cotton on the CD and it works great

MikeMan91389
01-01-2004, 07:43 AM
is the samsung better than the philips? if so state y or y not... thanks... i have two philips

Prior
01-01-2004, 11:56 AM
i got a crappy thompson drive but i gotta buy a new drive whats better samsung or philips???

Dark Mamba
01-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I bought mine about 3 - 4 months ago, and it's got the Samsung drive in it. I bought the one with the splinter cell/mech assult bundle.:cool:

blonks
01-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Yankeez
nice double post :D

http://negativeffect.net/pictures/drives.gif

ahh crap i have a tompson

o well.... ive had it since launch...i get a few DDE's if i leave the disc in for more then like 12 hours

o well doesnt bother me much

Hard Boiled Cop
01-02-2004, 06:41 AM
People who bought it like in 2001 will receive the old Thompson drive. I'm not sure about the Smasung and Phillips. When they released the Controller S pads like in 2002, they got rid of the old xbox consoles and put in the new one with the new official controller pads.
If you need to transfer any saved files from your old xbox hard drive, you need to use a memory card (like what I did) but you can't transfer music or certain games. Some game developers assume that the xbox does not need a memory card cos the sheer power of the xbox alone can hold up to 50 saved games. However this is not the case cos people like me want to transfer a particular game into my new xbox.

Prankster101
01-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by BananaMan
I have a thompson drive, and when i play some games like NCAA football 2004, and Grand Theft Auto games, it almost always freezes or something. LIke on ncaa the band will start playing and it makes weird noises and freezes for about 2-3 seconds. But it doesn't do it on any other games, but i still may be getting a new xbox, BUT how can i get all my old game saves onto my new one?

You should just be able to use a memory pack to transfer.
(right:watchout: )

edit: wow im dumb didnt even read the post above mine sry.:(

Snake Eyez
01-04-2004, 11:18 AM
I made sure I got a Samsung drive in my new Xbox that I just got. Thomson drives are still being made and placed in the Xboxes and the old problem is supposed to have been fixed.