PDA

View Full Version : Why is Xbox better then PS2

dcuozzo
12-31-2003, 05:46 PM
looking to buy a new system why is xbox better then PS2. How is the amout of games? Is there a difference at all or are they the same?

Slacker
12-31-2003, 05:58 PM
well the best way to find out is to research it yourself, I did , I wanted a PS2 but I decided on the Xbox for these reasons , Better Graphics , Built in Hardrive no buying Memory Cards, unless you want to transfer the data to a friends Xbox , and custom sound tracks , you can rip your own music into the xbox and listen to it in selected games, like GTA for example, and Xbox Live is awesome , its faster and cheaper , No per game monthly fees , and really awesome games are on Xbox , Like HALO, Star Wars Knights of the Old republic,Morrowind,Crimson Skies, and much much more depending on your tastes in games, 2004 will have great games also like Fable, Halo 2 , Ninja Gaiden, B.C. (maybe 2004) ect..ect... oh and IN game 5.1 not just cut scenes like PS2 ,

RagunCajun
12-31-2003, 06:56 PM
There isnt a better system. It's a matter of opinion. As much as i wanna stick up for PS2 on a xbox site i wont anymore. Both are great systems. Please do your own research before you spend ya money. Look at everything concerning each console. Both consoles offer great games. I have both so if ya have any questions post away.

BTW slacker, very nice responce man.:cheers:

dcuozzo
12-31-2003, 07:07 PM
Well I dont really know too much about either, you are talking to a 38 yr old whos first game system was Atari. I like sports games. But would like to get into other types as well. Action/Adventure war games stuff like that. I want a system that is going to give me the most for my cash, What are the X box strengths over PS2 and visa versa...Please help

JJaX
12-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun
There isnt a better system. It's a matter of opinion. As much as i wanna stick up for PS2 on a xbox site i wont anymore. Both are great systems. Please do your own research before you spend ya money. Look at everything concerning each console. Both consoles offer great games. I have both so if ya have any questions post away.

BTW slacker, very nice responce man.:cheers:

Actually, if you look at the specs, the Xbox is a better system.

Penfold
12-31-2003, 08:27 PM
A perfect comparison is the GTA Double Pack for both systems. When you put in the game for the PS2, you get so much loading time. However, when you put in the GTA DP for the XBOX, you get hardly any loading time at all.

How I got my XBOX was the following:

1)I did research by going to this very discussion board. I read all the positives and the negatives of certain games and the system as well.

2)I did my observations of the system itself. I tested the controller. Noticed that it felt more comfortable than my GameCube (I traded in my GCN for XBOX software. Afterall, 11 excellent software for the XBOX ranging from ESPN Football to GTA DP have all gotten much more playing time than the Cube got in the six months I played) and even the PS2.

3)I also checked with my XBOX playing friends. They all did say one thing in unison:

"Its about time!!!What took you so bloody long?":D

l Maximus l
12-31-2003, 09:14 PM
The XBox Advantage:

1. The XBox has over 300 games available currently. After Q1 2004, there will be over 100 XBox Live games available.

2. The XBox has 3 times the processing speed of PS2

3. The XBox is capable of 3 times the graphics of PS2

4. The XBox boasts an 8 gig hard-drive used for game saves and custom soundtracks.

5. XBox Live is a $4 Billion network...and is, essentially the second largest telecommunications company on the planet :D Every XBox Live game boasts voice communication and has been rated as the best on-line service for consoles...BY FAR. XBox Live is the name of the on-line service. Also, with XBox Live, you can get downloadable content for your games...which can add new levels, new maps, weapons, etc...which increases the longevity of your games.

6. XBox has several games that support more than 2 players, unlike the PS2. XBox has 4 controller ports to PS2's 2 controller ports. Yes, you can purchase a stupid multi-tap to play with more than 2 people, however, not many games support more than 2 players on PS2. To expand on this, take a game like Conflict Desert Storm 2: The PS2 version only supports 2 people...the XBox version supports 4.

7. The XBox supports 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound...and nearly every game is formatted for it.

8. Many XBox games support Widescreen HDTV and progressive scanning: 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I purchased an HDTV just because of the XBox and I will never look back! It's phenominal!

9. The DVD player portion of the XBox is far greater than the PS2 DVD player. Higher quality. I can get into the technicalities of this, if you like...but, I would like to point out that neither the XBox or the PS2 DVD portion of the system are in progressive scan. On the XBox, the gaming portion of it is, however. :)

10. The XBox comes on-line ready. It has a built in ethernet card.

11. You can system link multiple XBoxes for LAN gaming.

12. The XBox has games that have been awarded game of the year 2 years in a row. Halo and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

I can go on and on and on...however, I think that should suffice. I believe the XBox to be a far superior system...it is already setting standards for next generation game consoles.

MerimacHamwich
12-31-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

So so true. I hate it when stupid ignorants say there isn't a best system. When it comes to games, its all opinion, so there isn't a one best system, but if you look at the specifics of a console, there is a best system. The XBox is far better than anything out right now specs wise.

dd deeznuts
12-31-2003, 10:19 PM
xbox is better for sure, better games, playstation sucks big harry balls

RagunCajun
12-31-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
I know that. That has been said on most threads concerning a better system. I meant which one was more fun, not hardware specs.

BTW thread starter, go check out some ps2 fan site and some more xbox ones. You should get alot of opinions. I think you should buy it for the games they offer.

Peepers
12-31-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun

I know that. That has been said on most threads concerning a better system. I meant which one was more fun, not hardware specs.

BTW thread starter, go check out some ps2 fan site and some more xbox ones. You should get alot of opinions. I think you should buy it for the games they offer.

Then go with the Xbox. It has two of the last three games of the year (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Halo), and I guarantee it will have the 2004 game of the year (Halo 2 or Fable). Combine this (and the countless other good games) with technical superiority and viable on-line play, and the Xbox is a clear winner.

OC Noob
01-01-2004, 12:57 AM
I was thinking about price of the two and to get what you get on the Xbox for $180, on the PS2 you need the system $180, the network adapter (you can get that + the system for $200 so we will say $20 to make it fair), the hard drive ($100 but you get a game so I will add that in) and although it may not seem fair you still need a mem card with the HD ($30).

Oops, I never bought it so I don't know off hand how much the adapter to get 4 controller ports on the PS2 so I'll leave that out.

So you get all that junk + two games for each system. Granted the FF game that comes with the hard drive is a premium title so I'll take $30 off the total for the PS2. You get the same stuff for about $180 for the Xbox and $300 for the PS2.

The Xbox is a damn good value.

I'd say if you are big on RPGs get the PS2, otherwise the game selection is pretty equal and the Xbox hardware is a much better value.

Another thing to think about is if you don't have a high end PC the Xbox gets all the big name PC games like HL2, Doom III, Far Cry, Dues Ex 2, etc... Xbox does have first person shooters nailed down.

No Fear 23
01-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Peepers

Then go with the Xbox. It has two of the last three games of the year (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Halo), and I guarantee it will have the 2004 game of the year (Halo 2 or Fable). Combine this (and the countless other good games) with technical superiority and viable on-line play, and the Xbox is a clear winner.

yea, games like that will be the best year for xbox. Fable, Halo2, Half-life 2, doom 3, BC ,etc.

i dont know why ppl still think ps2 is better than xbox. xbox beats ps2 through graphics, specs, sound, online environment, and games (of course ps2 has more games than xbox)

i've had some ps2 friends that used to own an ps2 and i invited them over one day to check out my xbox. they all were amazed and most of my friends traded in their ps2 for the xbox.

xthugking
01-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Man, the guy is into action games. The xbox's got some good action games and we all know the Xbox is technically better than the PS2. Stop reading these posts and get your self an Xbox. No time to waste here.

Hard Boiled Cop
01-01-2004, 05:30 AM
I was planning on getting a PS2 cos it was so popular and everyone was saying its great but then when I read the hardware specs for both PS2 and Xbox console, I just went with Xbox. I usually compare the amount of power in a console than the amount of games produced. I mean there are so many games on the PS2 nobody never heard of. Xbox however has lots of recognisable games because it uses the full potential of the xbox.
People who buys PS2 just wants the amount of games that's on offer. They don't care about the hardware specs. Its about looks. Thats what sony is trying to do. Create a good looking console that people who buys them will be proud of. Its for publicity.
I personally think the Xbox looks dull and blocky. Bill Gates wants to put all the specs inside one box as small as possible.

MikeMan91389
01-01-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by dcuozzo
Well I dont really know too much about either, you are talking to a 38 yr old whos first game system was Atari. I like sports games. But would like to get into other types as well. Action/Adventure war games stuff like that. I want a system that is going to give me the most for my cash, What are the X box strengths over PS2 and visa versa...Please help

XBOX has war nailed down, with the exception of socom2.

The sports games on xbox are great, similar to the ps2, but better graphics, plus most are getting on xboxlive, and its sooo fun. XBOX is the future in my opinion, but ps2 is good too.

OC Noob
01-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389

XBOX has war nailed down, with the exception of socom2.

The sports games on xbox are great, similar to the ps2, but better graphics, plus most are getting on xboxlive, and its sooo fun. XBOX is the future in my opinion, but ps2 is good too.

Ghost Recon is just as good, if not better and its on Live which is always a plus.

Like I said earlier, the only thing PS2 has over Xbox right now is all the RPGs like Final Fantesy... oh and Gran Turismo 3/4 which is probably the best overall racing game, but Xbox still has some very good racing games like Project Gotham Racing and Collin Mcray's (sp?) rally racing title.

yall
01-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by OC Noob

Ghost Recon is just as good, if not better and its on Live which is always a plus.

Like I said earlier, the only thing PS2 has over Xbox right now is all the RPGs like Final Fantesy... oh and Gran Turismo 3/4 which is probably the best overall racing game, but Xbox still has some very good racing games like Project Gotham Racing and Collin Mcray's (sp?) rally racing title.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on the whole RPG thing. The Xbox might not have the FF series, but b/n KOTOR, Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, and crossover titles like Deus Ex, the Xbox has a number of quality RPG's.

OC Noob
01-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by yall

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on the whole RPG thing. The Xbox might not have the FF series, but b/n KOTOR, Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, and crossover titles like Deus Ex, the Xbox has a number of quality RPG's.

Yeah, it just doesn't have those (IMO) fruity anime RPGs where the 12 year old kid with size 46 cloths and a 12 foot sword uses stuffed animals for magic and the worst trying to be cool slang in any game genre..

That stuff from Japan really doesn't translate well IMO, but a lot of people like it and (thank God) Xbox really doesn't have much of it.

nutsnyomowf
01-01-2004, 03:05 PM
XBOX FO SHO Xbox Live has put dust on my PC games

ShadowWolf
01-01-2004, 06:32 PM
I heard the Xbox price was lowered to $130 now. Go with the Xbox, it has great specs, and it is cost efficent.

Revitman
01-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by yall

Arx Fatalis? Qaulity, your kidding right? Arx Fatalis is like Morrowind only 10x more buggy.

The xbox price hasnt been lowered either, 130? when and where?

yall
01-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by OC Noob

Yeah, it just doesn't have those (IMO) fruity anime RPGs where the 12 year old kid with size 46 cloths and a 12 foot sword uses stuffed animals for magic and the worst trying to be cool slang in any game genre..

That stuff from Japan really doesn't translate well IMO, but a lot of people like it and (thank God) Xbox really doesn't have much of it.

I couldn't agree more. To be honest, the hardcore RPG community doesn't consider those RPG's. I'm not sure what category I'd lump them into, but blindly slapping the RGP lable on them is unfair.

And, as it stands, I don't like J-RPG's very much. You can only race so many Chocobo's. :D

Brimstone D.
01-02-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm not really into the RPG genre, the only RPG game I've ever played through was Final Fantasy 7 ----- Way back in 1997....

But anyways, if your a big Sports fan like me, you couldn't go wrong, this XBOX machine packs a lean muscle, and defenitly shows it off on all sports titles...especially ESPN Football (aka 2K4).

mattgame
01-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by dcuozzo

First of all, welcome to the site. Secondly, I am also in my late thirties and I have all three of the big systems. I prefer the xbox. The games are great and the graphics are also. The PS2 has the most games but a lot of the games are booty. The year of 2004 will be the year that the xbox takes over trust me. The games that will be released this year will be outrageous. Good luck. :cheers:

oltranzista
01-02-2004, 02:20 PM
I bought the xbox for one reason only, buffy the vampire slayer. i am a big fan of the show and the first one was only available on xbox. of cource i discovered jet set radio future, halo, and deathrow shortly after! yeaaahhh!

halo on xbconnect.com kicks azz!

RagunCajun
01-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Back in the day, i had a choice. Xbox or ps2. To make the story short, i bought an xbox first......yeah i know its hard to believe. I own a ps2 also now. So hey, lets all get along. Both live side by side together in hormony:cheers: