PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 3 vs. XBOX Franchis Titles

Brimstone D.
01-02-2004, 01:47 PM
This is going to be a tough year for all competition on all sides...Everyone is offering spectacular titles and now Playstation 2 is serving up MGS: 3...What do you all expect that this title will do against the big heavy weights from the XBOX Team?

I know a lot of people are hyping and are getting ready for the next release from Hideo Kujima (sp?) but also a lot of people are hyping and preparing for Halo 2, Doom 3, Fable, and other big hits...I hope the XBOX does great numbers so Microsoft won't start to back peddle on future titles.

So what do you all think, will the XBOX manhandle PS2 this year or is Sony to strong to overtake?

LTM360
01-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, though I stopped following PS2, the only 2 games Im looking forward to on PS2 are MGS3: Snake Eater, and Final Fantasy XII, and maybe (I hate most racing games) Gran Turismo 4, but I didnt like the 3rd... and if Kingdom Hearts 2 comes out in 2004 than that too. But nothing else on PS2 really.

l Maximus l
01-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Personally, I think the Metal Gear Solid series sucks. I mean, Splinter Cell completely blows MGS away...and I expect the same thing with Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow to do the same to MGS3.

Don't get me wrong...I think MGS3 is going to be tight, however, it won't come close to titles like Halo 2, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora, and Fable.

Personally, I don't see XBox back peddling at all. If anything, the PS2 has been back peddling the last few months.

RagunCajun
01-02-2004, 03:11 PM
I see what your saying man about MGS. The first game was a break though. When i put the demo in my ps1, i never seen anything like it. I just had to buy the game.....i did. I never got into #2 though.I couldnt afford a ps2 at the time so i jus read stuff about it ant what not. MGS done alot of things first. Splinter Cell seemed to just do another style of it. Splinter Cell does own though. I love the game. I think MGS3 and SC2 will get compared alot though in the furture. I dont think thats right but hey, no biggie.

The Final Fantasy series does really well on the ps2. I'm currently into FFX(stuck at the blitzball part for 3 days:().

I think people will buy an ps2 just to play MGS3. I cant say that for GT4 because it is an intense game. Likewise, many will buy an xbox just for the awsome games coming out for the xbox. There are alot to mention. As much as i hate to say it, LTM360 is right. I dont see any more title i will get. Although this could change i dunno.

I think PS2 will have a good year and probably better than the previous one. I think xbox will have the best year yet. Probably doing better than the ps2. yeah i said it....:cry:

LTM360
01-02-2004, 03:19 PM
What part on FFX exactly are you stuck on, I can probably help you. Send me a pm, or just reply to this.... Blitzball is one my favorite parts in the game.

Hard Boiled Cop
01-02-2004, 05:13 PM
MGS was one great game back on the PS1 but the sequel kind of blows. You spend more time watching the game rather than playing it. Splinter Cell basically copies the MGS genre but it redefines it. MGS 2 is still quite popular to PS2 fans cos GTA 3 and MGS2 are the games that made PS2 great and .... popular.

If the all the games you mention Maximus come out this year then Xbox might take the lead in the gaming market. Halo 2 will surely boost the sales of xbox.

Slap A Pope
01-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Heres another one for how great the first MGS for the PS was. But after playing through MGS2 as a wimp that wouldn't have the slightest clue what a Mack3 is used for, "Snake Eater" is no longer a must have in my mind. By must have I mean, worth buying the PS2 for. Even if the lead is no longer "light in the loafers". I'll hopefully be too busy with Fable anyhow.

http://www.ape-law.com/evilmonkey/vmheader.JPG

Trento52
01-03-2004, 05:52 PM
The only ones that sound really good on the ps2 are
final fantasy
gran turismo
kingdom hearts
and snake eater
resident evil outbreak
then probably others i haven't heard of

For xbox
halo2
doom 3
half life 2
fable
ninja gaiden
BC
full spectrum warrior
and i think that about sums it up

For Gamecube
yet another zelda game
yet another mario something game
final fantasy
pikmin 2
I haven't heard of anything really

Fanboy5000
01-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Trento52

For Gamecube
yet another zelda game
yet another mario something game

Would you rather they stop making the Zelda and Mario games?

LiquidX
01-03-2004, 08:31 PM
I saw an article in GMR (EB Games Magazine) that listed the top 50 most anticipated for 2004. Halo 2 was at #3. I thought well I know whats gonna be 2 and 1, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. But I was wrong. MGS3 was number one. Half-Life 2 was number 2 and Doom 3 was 5th... Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that? I know MGS is a popular series, but I don't think it could hold a candle to the big 3 (H2, HL2, Doom3). This year will be a better year for Xbox than PS2, no matter what the Playstation biased multi-platform magazines say... This is my opinion though.

Uchiha Sasuke
01-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
I saw an article in GMR (EB Games Magazine) that listed the top 50 most anticipated for 2004. Halo 2 was at #3. I thought well I know whats gonna be 2 and 1, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. But I was wrong. MGS3 was number one. Half-Life 2 was number 2 and Doom 3 was 5th... Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that? I know MGS is a popular series, but I don't think it could hold a candle to the big 3 (H2, HL2, Doom3). This year will be a better year for Xbox than PS2, no matter what the Playstation biased multi-platform magazines say... This is my opinion though.

Have any of you looked at the details to this game or any of the vids. The game will be absolutely awesome. You have to eat and hunt to survive, set kick ass traps for your enemy's, killer interaction with the environment and not to mention the killer visuals and the storyline. Man I cannot wait much longer for this Gem.

LiquidX
01-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Substance Snake

Have any of you looked at the details to this game or any of the vids. The game will be absolutely awesome. You have to eat and hunt to survive, set kick ass traps for your enemy's, killer interaction with the environment and not to mention the killer visuals and the storyline. Man I cannot wait much longer for this Gem.

Ive read a few things and saw a couple pics. Im sure it will be a great game, but I doubt it will be the BEST game of 2004. In my opinion that should go to Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Fable, or Doom 3. Or maybe, MAYBE the next Metroid game on GC...

RagunCajun
01-03-2004, 09:53 PM
I am not worried which will be the best. That aspect never concerns me. If i see a game i like...ima just buy it and play it. I dont go to magizines or forums to see what to buy. I Value my opinion more.

Also any word on a new zelda or mario?

To add to yall list guys, Driver 3. that is multiplatform though.

Liquid Gears
01-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Let's see here....this is my opinion.

Between matches:

MGS3 vs. Doom III
(DOOM III would win)

MGS3 vs. Halo 2
(Halo 2 would MURDER MGS3)

MGS3 vs. Half-Life 2
(Tie)

Final Fantasy would lose to all, but its cinematics would probably beat Half-Life 2.

Fanboy5000
01-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun
I am not worried which will be the best. That aspect never concerns me. If i see a game i like...ima just buy it and play it. I dont go to magizines or forums to see what to buy. I Value my opinion more.

Also any word on a new zelda or mario?

To add to yall list guys, Driver 3. that is multiplatform though.

The Next Zelda game will be a direct sequel to Windwaker, and there will be some type of disc with about 4 Zelda games(not the one with all the classics, new games) or so, I think. I dunno anything about a new Mario game.

SniperPete
01-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Well i heard that MGS 3 was just a remake of metal gear solid one. With FPS mode and everything redone. If trew. Hideo can kiss my ass Mr.

Liquid Gears
01-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SniperPete
Well i heard that MGS 3 was just a remake of metal gear solid one. With FPS mode and everything redone. If trew. Hideo can kiss my ass Mr.

Ok there. Not even close.

Your thinking of "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" which is only coming out for GameCube.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is a brand new game with a whole new storyline which is for Playstation 2 only.

BTW: Grammer.

SniperPete
01-03-2004, 10:50 PM
No Snake Eater is for Xbox too then cause i saw a video for it on gametrailers.com

OC Noob
01-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX

I agree, a lot of the dorks at those kinds of magazines are PS2 fanboys or are just stupid. In Game Informer (Gamestop mag) they listed Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 as one of the top 50 games of this console generation.

Good lord, driving in that game was like driving a bus, the handling couldn't have been any worse if they tried. Its worse then them giving the PS2 higher ratings on multiplatform games.

RagunCajun
01-04-2004, 04:30 AM
did you try the ps2 version. Sounds wierd. i played both. I liked the ps2 version alot more than the xbox version(nfs hp2). The driving was alot different from what i remember. The game was pretty damn cool too.

Hard Boiled Cop
01-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Let's see here....this is my opinion.

Between matches:

MGS3 vs. Doom III
(DOOM III would win)

MGS3 vs. Halo 2
(Halo 2 would MURDER MGS3)

MGS3 vs. Half-Life 2
(Tie)

Final Fantasy would lose to all, but its cinematics would probably beat Half-Life 2.

MGS3 vs. Half Life 2, a tie? NO WAY.