PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Feel Let Down by DOA3

Dog Of War
01-04-2002, 04:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, it is a great game and I was awed by the graphic detail but if felt as though there should have been more to do. Such as unlock characters or stages or modes for that matter. All you can get are a couple costumes and Ein.

kazual
01-04-2002, 09:03 AM
*Raises hand*

I feel jipped..

StudioAlex
01-04-2002, 09:25 AM
I still haven't even played it. I want to rent it first because I played some of part two but and it seemed a little too easy tp pull off complex looking moves, kinda button masherish like Tekken, but I could be wrong. Of course, those visuals are gorgeous.

JJaX
01-04-2002, 10:51 AM
Its ok.

Its not great. People say its so deep and what not, But really its pretty shallow. Before i get flamed let me say that ive taken apart the fight system from top to bottom. Can score at least 50 on survival with 4 of the fighters and can pull of some amazing tag combos. But the game doesnt even scratch the surface of Soul caliburs fighting and balance.

Theres lots to pick at about DOA3, But there are lots of good things too. Its a beautiful game and the ladies look Bangin. But the depth is poor and button mashers think there good. Entertaining at first, But then you realize its not a long living game like soul calibur. Ive put 200+ hours into soul calibur, many drunken nights and smack talk, Soul will never get old. DOA3 last about 25 minutes at the most in one night. (if that)

l Maximus l
01-04-2002, 11:01 AM
I will have to admit, I was pretty disappointed, too, about DOA3. It is undoubtably one of the most beautiful games ever to hit any gaming console from a graphical standpoint. It's a good game for heavy multi-player use in my opinion. I share the mutuall preference not to play fighting games where the quickest button masher wins.

Admittingly, I have never played Soul Caliber, but, what I just learned from Jjax, it sounds much more appealing. Soul Caliber almost sounds reminscient to the great Mortal Kombat, in which fighting actually takes skill. I really prefer Mortal Kombat because there are plenty of special moves that require specific button sequences...besides, one cannot deny that busting out a fatality to end a brutal and bloody match just puts the cherry on the cake :D

JJaX
01-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Get your self a Dreamcast and play Soul calibur.
Learn to use counters, Guardimpacts (repel, parry)(counter repel, counter parry, counter counter parry repel etc), 8-way run, unblockables, unblockable-cancels, stuns, juggles, Rolls, stance changening, soul charges and spirit charges and stutters. Now get at least 3 people that are near your skill. Gaming heaven........Unless you got 4 on 4 halo on 4 tvs :D

l Maximus l
01-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
Get your self a Dreamcast and play Soul calibur.
Learn to use counters, Guardimpacts (repel, parry)(counter repel, counter parry, counter counter parry repel etc), 8-way run, unblockables, unblockable-cancels, stuns, juggles, Rolls, stance changening, soul charges and spirit charges and stutters. Now get at least 3 people that are near your skill. Gaming heaven........Unless you got 4 on 4 halo on 4 tvs :D

I know what you mean. I played Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the N64 for a long time...many nights of competing and drunkeness :D By the things you are saying about Soul Caliber, it seems to be another great fighting game...but, it's coming out on the XBox...so, I'm going to wait it out. You got me all pumped up about it, though :)

Taltoz
01-04-2002, 12:27 PM
I am going to have to disagree with the general concensus here and say that I have not been the least disapointed in DOA3. The whole game is just amazing to me. Of all the multiplayer games it sees the most group play at my house (yes even more than halo). While I agree that it allows "button mashers" to pull of cool moves they stand no chance against someone who knows the moves. And there are tons of moves. I have made it all the way through practice on some of the characters but the number of different moves still amazes me. And the counter system allows so much more than any of the other fighting games I have played. So while to each his/her own opinion I will definitly defend DOA3.

JJaX
01-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Taltoz
And the counter system allows so much more than any of the other fighting games I have played.

Counters in DOA series are far far to easy to pull off. And the window of time is to great. You can throw a counter before an attack is sent your way and still pull it off. Its a shame you cannot counter the counter. Matches would be longer and far more intense. And the fact that you cannot grab a stunned oppenent really makes me upset, But you can still counter when stunned, What gives?

Ninja Scroll
01-04-2002, 12:39 PM
I wasnt disapointed in DOA3 because I knew what I was getting into and that was a beefed up DOA2 on DC.
I love the DOA3 but it aint no Soul Calibur on Dreamcast!
And Max, dont even try to plug that wack ass Mortal Kombat trash:D That game does not deserve to be meantioned in the same post as a classic like Soul Calibur.
Anyways, max... your still my maxi-pad-imus side kick so its all gravy yo!;)

But until Soul Calibur 2, I dont see another fighting game coming anywhere close to Soul Calibur,......................
................ btw,... did I meantion its only on Dreamcast and in store everywhere now!:D :D (cheap plug, Ninja style)!

Shadow Fox
01-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Anyone here that's played the entire DOA series feel impressed with DOA3? More than likely not.

The backgrounds and new character models are gorgeous, granted, but the game is essentially DOA2 for Xbox with new stages...two new characters...in the same d@mn game.

I was ultimately disappointed by this Xbox title, especially after playing the second game in Arcades and on DC/PS2. Do any of you guys go to arcades, BTW? That's where the serious competition is..you guys seem to know nothing about SC (besides the one guy here that mentioned guard impacts)...

MK takes skill? MK2 did, at one point in time; until the blood combos were found out (99% combos)...

MK4 does take some skill, but I've found many veteran players beaten by LKPB's (Little Kids Pounding Buttons) in that and other games like Xmen vs Street Fighter with Wolverine...

SC takes mad skill, and Tekken Tag/4 does to the same degree. Not as much as the 2D fighters (KI/CvS/KoF), but you'll see more interesting fights from pros than you would in a button-masher like DOA3...:mad:

You guys never heard of SC? Guess none of you have heard of the B5 tourneys, either... :(

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose II)

MaxPain
01-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Heh, very let down.... This game is garbage besides it's nice graphics which I don't care about that if the gameplay sucks, Like I said before the fact I beat the whole game in 5 minutes my first time, well that's not really much of a challenge. Multiplayer would be the only thing worth playing it for........

l Maximus l
01-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
I wasnt disapointed in DOA3 because I knew what I was getting into and that was a beefed up DOA2 on DC.
I love the DOA3 but it aint no Soul Calibur on Dreamcast!
And Max, dont even try to plug that wack ass Mortal Kombat trash:D That game does not deserve to be meantioned in the same post as a classic like Soul Calibur.

But until Soul Calibur 2, I dont see another fighting game coming anywhere close to Soul Calibur,......................
................ btw,... did I meantion its only on Dreamcast and in store everywhere now!:D :D (cheap plug, Ninja style)!

lol, dude...did you not learn a single thing when we debated Mortal Kombat in the Fighting Game forum!? lol...if anything, you learned that you have multiple pebbles in your ninja turtle diapers :D But, don't get me wrong either, my little ninja turtle side kick...ummm..."yo!"....hehehe... But, I promise to give a serious look at Soul Caliber when it comes out on XBox. So far, it sounds like a great game. But, you cannot, honestly, trash Mortal Kombat on the XBox..You know this game looks amazing so far...I just hope they have enough chracters and new special moves and quick response time like MK Trilogy and MK II did. MK4 was horrible, I agree...mainly because the above reasons were lacking. Oh yeah..have a beer :D

Ninja Scroll
01-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

lol, dude...did you not learn a single thing when we debated Mortal Kombat in the Fighting Game forum!? lol...if anything, you learned that you have multiple pebbles in your ninja turtle diapers :D But, don't get me wrong either, my little ninja turtle side kick...ummm..."yo!"....hehehe... :D

LMAO!! , Yo maxi-pad! What's with you and my Ninja Turtle Diapers yo?! Come and change these joints for me please, their freakin stinkin up my crib yo!

:eek:

Dog Of War
01-06-2002, 12:49 PM
its amazing what these threads can lead to

skoot182
01-06-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

MMMMMM, Gravy, Aahahhaha <----Homer Simpson Drool Thingy

GamingFreak
01-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Its ok.

Its not great. People say its so deep and what not, But really its pretty shallow. Before i get flamed let me say that ive taken apart the fight system from top to bottom. Can score at least 50 on survival with 4 of the fighters and can pull of some amazing tag combos. But the game doesnt even scratch the surface of Soul caliburs fighting and balance.

Theres lots to pick at about DOA3, But there are lots of good things too. Its a beautiful game and the ladies look Bangin. But the depth is poor and button mashers think there good. Entertaining at first, But then you realize its not a long living game like soul calibur. Ive put 200+ hours into soul calibur, many drunken nights and smack talk, Soul will never get old. DOA3 last about 25 minutes at the most in one night. (if that)

Amen brother.

WhiteWynter
01-10-2002, 09:18 PM
**** straight i did. i only play halo now, doa3 is collecting dust, i wished i would have rather gotten PGR or something. **** it