PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind GOTY....Lag?

Ford Mustang
01-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Ok guys, I'll be the first person to say Morrowind is the best damn RPG out there, but I'm having a problem. I have a launch Xbox, and every once and a while, most often after I kill someone, the game freezes for 3-5 seconds, until the Drive spools up. Do you think this could be because of the crappy original drive? Or does everyone have this problem? I don't think it's everyone just because you can hear the drive spinning and then stop and then spin again. I think my drive is acting up. It works fine on all my other games, though. :huh:

dd deeznuts
01-03-2004, 11:13 PM
yah it's the thompson drive i have problems too like stuff disapering and freezing. it's because morrowinds a huge game and probley has more layers than a normal game so it harder to read for the thompson i'am not sure how many layers it has i know some disks are like four layers and double sided which is harder to read than like a one sided one layer disk :cheers:

Ford Mustang
01-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure it was these specific models only that were doing it, and I got my answer. :cheers: It gets a little annoying, but it's something that I've learned to deal with. :)

JJaX
01-04-2004, 01:07 AM
I have a launch xbox with a thomposon drive too. But my morrowind never pauses for 3-5 seconds.

MerimacHamwich
01-04-2004, 02:31 AM
Morrowind Game of the Year Edition JJax?

TES3:M:GOTY is alot bigger than even the original Morrowind.

rpgreligion
01-04-2004, 04:02 AM
It's probably because of the old drive. Mine doesn't lag too bad, but every once in awhile it will have to constantly reload an area.

Though, it is strange that your disc lags each time you kill someone. The disc drive aside, maybe your xbox is overheating? I have a friend, whos copy of GOTY constantly lagged and locked down. After a good dusting, the problem was mostly fixed.

dd deeznuts
01-04-2004, 04:40 PM
the new xbox drives like the samsung and philips can read anything no problem, but i think the thompson really does have problems reading some disks especialy when it gets old and starts slowing down.it could just be dust on the lens too. check out these different types of dvd's>>>>http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/dvd-layers.gif

Peepers
01-04-2004, 04:47 PM
There's a small chance that you have a dirty, damaged, or defective game disc. But given the troubled past of Thompson drives, I think it's much more likely that you have a drive problem. My cousin Whoopage had a Thompson drive in his Xbox, and it got worse and worse until it was doing the pause/freeze very frequently on almost every game.

CarGuy
01-04-2004, 04:51 PM
I couldnt get Morrowind GOTY to load AT ALL on my launch XBox.. Bought a new one and everything is perfect.

nG-Punisher
01-04-2004, 07:22 PM
I tried playing this game..too boring for me...RPG's arent the same on the computer as they are on the xbox

JJaX
01-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Morrowind Game of the Year Edition JJax?

TES3:M:GOTY is alot bigger than even the original Morrowind.

OOps, i failed to mention i have the orginal morrowind.

Ford Mustang
01-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Yeah, it could be overheating because I haven't dusted it out in a while. Also, once it has given me a DDE, and the second time it told me that I needed to put the DVD Reciever in. That pissed me off big time. It hasn't done that again, though. I think it's kinda cheap that I payed 300 bucks for just an Xbox with a ****ty drive and now people pay 180 for an Xbox, 2 games, and XBL. Oh well, guess that's the way it goes. :)