PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex disappointment: What is up with Ion Storm on the console

qbakies
01-05-2004, 02:26 PM
This is what I posted before actually playing the game:
I have been looking forward to Deus Ex 2 for several months after being a huge fan of the first. I was even more excited that it was coming to Xbox because I don't have a PC that would be able to handle the game. With Ion Storm and Warren Spector's track record I was sure it would be great. Now I'm not so sure. I have been reading a ton of mixed reviews and they all seem to point to poor AI, easy level design, sluggish frame rates, and improper damage from weapons. Then I read that on 12/12/03 a patch was released that took care of these very issues (which means they were real issues and not just random nitpicking) and wonder what Warren Spector did to all of the unsuspecting console owners. I understand that the norm for a PC game is to release patches to fix bugs, but that isn't a solution for bugs in a console game. If the game come with bugs it is going to keep them. PC devs need to understand that releasing less than perfect games is not going to cut it in the console market. Deus Ex 2 was my one Christmas game and I know it is under the tree (because I wrapped it myself) and I'm just not sure that I should be excited about 12/25 getting here.

Now that I have actually played it (I opened it on 12/22/03) my suspicions have been confirmed. I am very disappointed with the game in general. The framerate issues, the AI, and the weapon damage infractions are enough to hamper game play and show that this game should not have been released before it was finished. The latest patch has fixed many issues for the PC but we are left with an unfinished product. Not to mention the easy level designs, dumbed down skill system, and the OVERLY ABUNDANT amount of biomod canisters, IMO, bring the game down a level. The game isn't bad, but it is not a worthy successor to one of the great games of the last decade. Maybe I just had my expectations set too high. Regardless, I will soon be trading the game in towards the purchase of one of the Q1 games coming out

MerimacHamwich
01-05-2004, 02:31 PM
And then, I predict, that you will be disapointed with that game and trade it in for another. And then be disapointed again, and trade in, and so the cycle continues.

George89
01-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm just glad that I didnt get it, instead I got GTA DP, which is much better:D but I'm really sad that DE IW wasnt as good as it should have been, I was really looking foward to it.

Sheeyt
01-06-2004, 07:51 AM
I too was pretty dissappointed with DE:IW. I rented it after reading all the hype and never playing the first game. I played for awhile and had fun. However once I stopped playing I really had no urge to want to play it again. Some of the stuff seemed so tedious it got on my nerves. Oh well. Glad I only rented it.

qbakies
01-06-2004, 07:51 AM
Yes, GTA: DP was a much better buy. I have been playing it for the last few weeks. I just hope Ion Storm doesn't mess up Theif III the way it did Deus Ex 2. Theif is one of my favorite games and I am, tentatively, looking forward to its release later this month.

MikeMan91389
01-06-2004, 10:29 PM
proud to say ive never seen the cover of the game, or the game itself in person :)

Hard Boiled Cop
01-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Ion Storm is hated by hardcore gamers. Why oh why did they not add the damage function?

Hugopolo
01-07-2004, 03:54 PM
I think its cool, its exactly what expected why dont you guys like it

DocHoliday78
01-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Hard Boiled Cop
Ion Storm is hated by hardcore gamers. Why oh why did they not add the damage function? Maybe by console gamers but they are loved by pc gamers. The Deus Ex series was not meant for console gaming. Play the original on the pc and you will understand.

yall
01-07-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm a PC and console gamer, and I think Deus Ex is pretty good.

Yes, the frame rate will drop occasionaly. Yes, the damage model could be better. And I totally agree there are way too many biomod canisters (seriously, they are everywhere, unlike the first game where it was akin to leveling-up, and now that I think about it, where the hell did the skills go?).

Aside from the flaws (and they are significant) the game manages to do a pretty good job at keeping you involved and wanting to come back for more.

As good as the first? Nope. A good game though? Yep.