PDA

View Full Version : I just purchased my XBOX...

Brimstone D.
01-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Man oh man...thing is heavy, but I like it like that, makes you feel like it's the 'big dog' of the consoles, lol...

Any ways, the first thing I did was check what drive I had and surely enough I bought one with a freaking THOMSON drive...****ing ***t that really pissed me off, but the good thing is that I bought the 2 year replacement at BestBuy, so I'm not worried...

I also bought the AV pack with the Component Cables along with the Digital Cable, OMG, the sound and video looks awesome! I was playing Splinter Cell for the first time and man, thing looks crazy! But since this is the first time I've played an XBOX I'm just getting the hang of the controller (Controller S) I remember playing it in Gamestop with the Original controller, now that was Huge.

Well any ways, I'm off to playing some more Splinter Cell, and in a couple weeks get NFL Street and Halo...I didn't see it their in BestBuy, I guess they were all out, that sucks because I've never ever played Halo and all of you all make it sound like it's the greatest, so now I want to play it...

Thanks to all the advice I got on this board when I asked for the help...thanks to all of you that helped and dropped some advice...

BORNGD
01-05-2004, 04:22 PM
good to hear, just remember to get some fresh air after all the hours of playing!

SiN
01-05-2004, 05:03 PM
How do I check for Thompson drive.. i got mine for xmas

nG-Punisher
01-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Awesome...congratulations??! How did you check to see if you had the Thomson drive? I have one of the new X-Box's from their release and I havent had any problems..

Conchord
01-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Whats wrong with the T-drive?

Ford
01-05-2004, 05:36 PM
It's supposed to be one of the worst drives out there and i know there are 3 different drives. i have a thompson and mine works fine as well but you never know..... i'm not sure how you ckeck it i had a friend tell me i had a thompson

armyof_one/ltd
01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Great man!

Buying the Xbox is the best thing you could ever do, besides buying SC along with it. Now your next goal in life should be buying Xbox Live and RS3 or SC:PT, when it comes out so you can become a real addict and kiss your life good bye :cheers:

Ford
01-05-2004, 05:38 PM
The Thompson is supposed to be the worst drive out there, i know there is 3 kinds and i also have a thompson and it works fine but you never know... not sure how you check a friend told me what mine was.

BunnyRabbit
01-05-2004, 05:40 PM
The Thompson drive has a flat U shaped hole in the disc tray... To find the difference in Phillips or Samsung you can take your xbox apart and look at the sticker on the upper top of the drive under the weird wire flap. It will have details. STUPID THOMSON!

l Maximus l
01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Congrats on your purchase! And also for joining the best damn XBox fansite on the net :D

Welcome to XBA!

You haven't played Halo yet? Oh man...I border-line envy you...

armyof_one/ltd
01-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

You haven't played Halo yet? Oh man...I border-line envy you...

Amen to that brother!

I havent felt the elation that I felt when first playing Halo for long time, Splinter Cell got near but didnt surpass Halo

Rancid_XBOX
01-06-2004, 07:42 PM
I just got my xbox yesterday at walmart to bad i got with a thompson drive this sucks! anyway im playing halo right now.

DocHoliday78
01-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Congrats on getting your xbox, I would purchase the 2 year warranty. Oh and i would rent nfl street first befoer buying it. Those types of games have sucked recently.:cheers:

Brimstone D.
01-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78
Congrats on getting your xbox, I would purchase the 2 year warranty. Oh and i would rent nfl street first befoer buying it. Those types of games have sucked recently.:cheers:

Yeah I did purchase the 2-year warranty thank God! Just in case any foul stuff begains to happen, I don't care I'm taking that thing back...

And yeah, about NFL Street, well I really don't have much of an option, see the Blockbuster here where I live, well I guess they hate XBOX becuase they carry a slim library of games and even those games are from the launch date! That's crazy.

I guess I'll just wait on NFL Street until someone rates it in here, or in the game review sections...

SiGuy
01-06-2004, 09:36 PM
I have the Thompson drive. Ive ahd my xbox for almost a year and its startin to go. Sometimes it grinds and ****s and makes loud funny noises and sometimes It just doesnt work at all.:cry:

DocHoliday78
01-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Brimstone D.

Yeah I did purchase the 2-year warranty thank God! Just in case any foul stuff begains to happen, I don't care I'm taking that thing back...

And yeah, about NFL Street, well I really don't have much of an option, see the Blockbuster here where I live, well I guess they hate XBOX becuase they carry a slim library of games and even those games are from the launch date! That's crazy.

I guess I'll just wait on NFL Street until someone rates it in here, or in the game review sections...

Smart man, about the blockbuster issue. I believe there is an online videogame rental buisness similar to net flix which i heard alot of positvie things about.

MikeMan91389
01-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah, you gotta get halo.. Its great, gettin old now, but you'll love it. Garuntee. good idea gettin the warranty stuff..

Snake Eyez
01-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by BunnyRabbit
The Thompson drive has a flat U shaped hole in the disc tray... To find the difference in Phillips or Samsung you can take your xbox apart and look at the sticker on the upper top of the drive under the weird wire flap. It will have details. STUPID THOMSON!

Or you can simply look at the shape of the tray to tell the two drives apart.

BinaryXtreme
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
I've had my XBOX for 2 years now with a Thompson drive with no probs. Don't worry about it, happy gaming.

jimmer71
01-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Here is 2 links to help you out. The 1st one is a picture of all 3 types of DVD's. The second is a link for manufactors dates and which drive is in it. Do not take your brand new Xbox apart to find out which drive. I hope this helps.

http://www.home.no/emus/tutorial/philips_thomson_samsung.jpg

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/versionsdb.html

PS by the way don't buy NFL Street EA makes it and "we" don't like them!

Brimstone D.
01-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jimmer71
Here is 2 links to help you out. The 1st one is a picture of all 3 types of DVD's. The second is a link for manufactors dates and which drive is in it. Do not take your brand new Xbox apart to find out which drive. I hope this helps.

http://www.home.no/emus/tutorial/philips_thomson_samsung.jpg

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/versionsdb.html

PS by the way don't buy NFL Street EA makes it and "we" don't like them!

Thanks but no thanks, I've had that picture on my desktop for about 4 weeks and just in case I bought my XBOX I had the reference to see what Drive I had without opening it.

lol, on NFL Street...Yeah, I just got my Gamepro and saw their 'Exclusive Review' and they basically said that its lame just to play the game by yourself but great with friends...So since me and all my friends work I'm out of luck! So I'll probably just stick to Madden or buy a Basketball game.

George89
01-07-2004, 05:43 PM
When I had trouble with my xbox, the nice people at COMPUSA made sure we got one with the better drive (dont remember which one)....thank god for 2 year warrenty, I couldnt go a few days without games disc errors.

Ford
01-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah man my buddy couldn't even go a couple rounds without one!