PDA

View Full Version : Backward Compatability through emulation

qbakies
01-07-2004, 07:31 AM
It seems that the only way we will be able to play Xbox games on the Xbox 2 will be through emulation software. Not a great solution but I suppose it is better than nothing. We will see.

BC through emulation (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/449/449314p1.html)

RudedogX
01-07-2004, 07:38 AM
That's IGN speculation I think. I wouldn't trust a thing anyone but MS actually says.

qbakies
01-07-2004, 07:52 AM
Speculation, yes, but very educated speculation. Changing from an Intel X86 processor to an IBM PowerPC variant is a HUGE change. Games will have to be made on a completely different base platform. It would be like trying to play a PC game on a Mac. There is a reason that devs have to make different versions.

RagunCajun
01-07-2004, 11:33 AM
This might kinda sound dumb but i dont understand what an emulator does. So if xbox 2 could just play the xbox 1 games like the ps2 does to ps1 game.....that would be emulating? sry if this is confusing.

Game_Geek
01-07-2004, 12:45 PM
http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,61065,00.html

Virtual PC people..:D

qbakies
01-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun
This might kinda sound dumb but i dont understand what an emulator does. So if xbox 2 could just play the xbox 1 games like the ps2 does to ps1 game.....that would be emulating? sry if this is confusing.
Here is the definition of emulation:
Refers to the ability of a program or device to imitate another program or device. Many printers, for example, are designed to emulate Hewlett-Packard LaserJet printers because so much software is written for HP printers. By emulating an HP printer, a printer can work with any software written for a real HP printer. Emulation tricks the software into believing that a device is really some other device.

Communications software packages often include terminal emulation drivers . This enables your PC to emulate a particular type of terminal so that you can log on to a mainframe.

It is also possible for a computer to emulate another type of computer. For example, there are programs that enable an Apple Macintosh to emulate a PC.

MS owns Connectix which make emulation software that will create a 'Virtual machine' to run other programs. Therefore they could create a 'Virtual Xbox' that would run on the Xbox 2 and it would play the original Xbox games. The only thing is that it takes serious horsepower to run an emulator since it is actually running a program that runs another program. Hopefully MS takes that into account when specing the Xbox 2. I would hate to play original Xbox games with framerate and control issues because of the emulation process.

BinaryXtreme
01-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Emulators on computers are extremely unstable. I've had a lot of experience with these and of course some are better than others but, trying to achieve exact emulation to ensure other platforms will run on your system properly has never been achieved in my opinion. Could it be done though, absolutely. Would be great if it could be done with good system stability so no crashes or driver conflicts would happen.

MikeMan91389
01-07-2004, 11:36 PM
wow... then we may have to keep our XBOX's... and to think... most will die within 5 years... grreattt.. prolly less

dances with broom sticks
01-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389
wow... then we may have to keep our XBOX's... and to think... most will die within 5 years... grreattt.. prolly less

mines dead after a bit more than 2 :cry:

OC Noob
01-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by qbakies
Speculation, yes, but very educated speculation. Changing from an Intel X86 processor to an IBM PowerPC variant is a HUGE change. Games will have to be made on a completely different base platform. It would be like trying to play a PC game on a Mac. There is a reason that devs have to make different versions.

Thats exactly what I said a few days ago...

I guess someone at IGN read my post:D

j/k of course

Anyway, emulators are usually the pet project of an individual. Assuming the Xbox 2 hardware will allow it, I think a well funded group of devs could do a pretty good job of it.

ps if no one said it, emulation uses software to do what hardware does in the original console. While the PS2 has pretty much all the same hardware that a PS1 has to run PS1 games. Basically, you have 2 consoles built into 1, probably with a decent amount of merged technology.

qbakies
01-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by OC Noob

Anyway, emulators are usually the pet project of an individual. Assuming the Xbox 2 hardware will allow it, I think a well funded group of devs could do a pretty good job of it.

Connectix (the company MS bought) only makes emulation software, it was the whole reason for the purchase.

l Maximus l
01-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't the Atari 5200 require an emulator so you could play your Atari 2600 games on it?

I recall having something...at the time, I just referred to it as an adapter...but, I was just a mere underwear crapping kid at the time :D