PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if you have a Thomson drive.

jimmer71
01-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I have just read in another thread someone suggesting to open there brand new Xbox to find out which drive they have. Stop! That voids the warranty! I got these links a while back from this site to help you out. The 1st one is a picture of all 3 drives and which are which. The second link is a list of manufacture dates and which drives are in which. So you can buy one from the store and know which drive you will get before you open the box. I hope this helps, let me know if it does.

http://www.home.no/emus/tutorial/philips_thomson_samsung.jpg

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/versionsdb.html

ScottTheKilla
01-07-2004, 01:23 PM
It cracks me up how many times this is brought up in these forums and how many times people still ask. Maybe this time your post will get the point across once and for all..or not.

jimmer71
01-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I know. That is why I posted it. Do you know how many times I have brought out the list and helped out a guy a gamestop. If I was gamestop I would have the list and send back all thomsons and than maybe MS would get the hint...No thomson drives. I am thinking because they wouldn't get someone rebuying a xbox every 1 to 2 years. That's just me, maybe I am paranoid or something.

Trento52
01-07-2004, 06:28 PM
i thought i had a thompson drive but i have a philips and i have no problems with it. This was a bad i dea but i put the xbox on it's side when i was travelling in the vehicle and we went through alot of bumps and yet it still works fine. I notice when i am playing at night though it is really loud the machine itself.

Ugunnalose
01-07-2004, 07:16 PM
which is the best drive? i got a phillips im pretty sure

ScottTheKilla
01-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Ugunnalose
which is the best drive? i got a phillips im pretty sure

You cant do wrong or get any better then with a samsung.

MerimacHamwich
01-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Oh give it a rest already. I've had my thompson drive for 2 years with no problems.

Prior
01-07-2004, 07:34 PM
well ur lucky i had my thompson drive for 2years now and its ******* me off badly readin disc errors when there's none freezing but i'm getting a samsung soon but i still gotta pay 100$ for it:cuss:

Highlite23
01-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Nice post jimmer.:cheers:

Ford Mustang
01-07-2004, 08:34 PM
I've had my Thomson for 2 years also, and I've had 2 DDE's total. The only game I've had problems with was Morrowind GOTY, and those barely ever happen. I don't see what the big deal is.

BinaryXtreme
01-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Oh give it a rest already. I've had my thompson drive for 2 years with no problems.

I too have had mine for 2 years without a problem. A friend of mine did not have a thompson and his lasted a year and a half. Don't worry about it, just play!

Snake Eyez
01-07-2004, 10:48 PM

Not all the Thomsons have problems. But if you have a problem with your Xbox, especially with DDEs, than chances are that you have a Thomson drive.

MikeMan91389
01-07-2004, 11:15 PM
ehh... get a warranty if ur gettin a thompson, or think u could w/ ur luck.. Luckily i got 2 phillips

squid413
01-07-2004, 11:41 PM
I to have a thompson drive for 2 years and no problems at all. the only times i used to get dde's were when i tried to play halo online but that was common so i'm not worrying. and plus i thought if you got dde's with a thompson microsoft would fix it for free because of recall or something. the only thing i don't like about the thompson drive is that it can't play cd-r's

jimmer71
01-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA
Nice post jimmer.:cheers:

Thanks, I was just trying help. I have gone thru 3 Xbox's the 3rd one I got was a Samsung...so I should be good to go.

Yankeez
01-08-2004, 12:26 PM
http://www.titansfan098.com/uploader/untitled.bmp

:cheers:

ive been posting this pic for the last year :D

zReDLiNeR
01-08-2004, 01:19 PM
ummm i hav a samsung whats wrong wiv it? which one is the best

Yankeez
01-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by zReDLiNeR
ummm i hav a samsung whats wrong wiv it? which one is the best
thompson is worst
philips is ok
SAMSUNG IS DA BEST WOOOOOOOOOO!

:cheers:

BunnyRabbit
01-08-2004, 02:29 PM

Yeah you are definitely a lucky little mofo.. That... Or maybe you just dont play it 3+ HOURS EVERY DAY. All I know is Thomson sucks. It is the one most known to give problems. Sure NOT EVERY SINGLE Thomson is going to go defective. They made SOME of them to last. Probably to make people think that ink doesnt squirt into your circuits after your warranty is out. :p

jimmer71
01-08-2004, 02:33 PM
You said it bunnyrabbit. I think I will post a poll on how many people have had a thomson and how long did it last. Check it out.

Xorg
01-08-2004, 03:36 PM
I have had a thompson for almost 2 years and it never gives me problems it only froze once or twice with morrowind goty