PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Broken... Again

wbio
01-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Well, as a birthday present from MS, my Xbox has broken again. I'm getting DDEs with every disc I put in, and I know it's not the disc, because It's a brand new DVD, straight out of the box. It works fine on my computer. I got my DVD drive replaced last time it broke, I had a thompson, and they replaced it with a thompson. I am going to buy a Samsung or Phillips and replace it with my Thompson, because I am positive it's because of the Thompson. This one lasted less than a year. first I'll see if MS will replace it free, and if not maybe I'll buy a warranty, but this pisses me off. I can't believe they replaced my last drive with another Thompson, but hopefully this time they will use a Phillips or Samsung. Luckily I was saving up for another Xbox anyways, but I was doing that because I wanted 2 Xboxes, and it looks like I won't for a while. This sucks. I hate Thompson drives.

EDIT: I might just buy a new lense for the dvd drive if MS won't fix their POS Thompson drive for free. I will probably get This One (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071403726&category=20385) off ebay.

MerimacHamwich
01-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Why not try a lens cleaner and check the system connections first.

MaxPain
01-11-2004, 09:32 PM
I've had my Xbox since nov. 2002.. with thompson drive.. only had 1 DDE after playing halo for about 20 hours straight the day before... the day I got it.... :cheers:

BunnyRabbit
01-12-2004, 05:39 AM
THAT SUCKS! It broke on your birthday right before you could ask for it... Mine broke 2 days after CHRISTMAS!!!

Ok... Ms... WTF?!

LoL...It seems so coincidentally funny. AND TERRIBLY MADDENING AT THE SAME TIME!:cuss:

Casper
01-12-2004, 10:11 AM
I was gonna get that laser too, but if I trade mine in to Gamestop I get $100, so then a brand new one will cost me $79 - minus $10 for the trade-in for Clone Wars.

Either way, if you're gonna open it, or already did, use a dry Q-tip to clean the lens. I did it and I think blindsniper did too, it worked for both of us.

Snake Eyez
01-12-2004, 12:56 PM
If you do get a new Xbox, do the research and try to make sure you get a Samsung drive.

jimmer71
01-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Click into this link and print it out. When you go to get your new Xbox you will know what you are getting beforing opening box. I would recommend the 2 year warranty either way. There is more to go out on an XBOX than a DVD drive, trust me. It will only cost $20-30 and well worth it.

Here is the link...
http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/versionsdb.html

wbio
01-12-2004, 02:53 PM
yea, I'll try the Q-tip thing, and I'm going out to get an Xbox today, and I'll make sure I get a Samsung. Thanks for the link.

X-Factor
01-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
I was gonna get that laser too, but if I trade mine in to Gamestop I get $100, so then a brand new one will cost me $79 - minus $10 for the trade-in for Clone Wars.

Either way, if you're gonna open it, or already did, use a dry Q-tip to clean the lens. I did it and I think blindsniper did too, it worked for both of us. $100 for a defective Xbox? I took my P.O.S. Xbox into GameStop, and they said they'd only give me $40 for it!

Zion
01-13-2004, 07:45 AM
Is there some place you can just buy a Samsung drive? I wouldn't imagine it costing more than $50.

jimmer71
01-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor
$100 for a defective Xbox? I took my P.O.S. Xbox into GameStop, and they said they'd only give me $40 for it!

I would just take the link I supplied in this thread to get a new Xbox and get one with Samsung installed. A samsung DVD will cost you around $100 and you would be installing. If you do not know what you are doing you can do more damage to other parts of unit. Just buy a new one with a warranty.

Snake Eyez
01-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor
$100 for a defective Xbox? I took my P.O.S. Xbox into GameStop, and they said they'd only give me $40 for it!

I believe that his Xbox passed their test for a working Xbox, not a defective one.