PDA

View Full Version : XBL 3.0? Here's what I found

Casper
01-12-2004, 09:10 PM
These features require release 3.0 of the Xbox Live service. The Xbox Live 3.0 release is sometimes referred to as "Tsunami". The Xbox group is releasing Xbox Live 3.0 around the beginning of April 2004. Titles that take advantage of these new features should schedule their releases to occur after the release of Xbox Live 3.0. Titles that intend to release before the release of Xbox Live 3.0 should not use any these features.

Voice Mail in UIX Friends
The Voice Mail feature allows users to include voice mail when they send or accept game invitations and friend requests. Users can include up to 15 seconds of voice data with each invitation or request to provide more context for the recipient.

Title Managed Storage
Title Managed Storage allows a game to store information on the Xbox Live storage servers. The feature is divided into two parts: global storage and per-user, per-title storage. Global storage is read-only to the title and stores matchmaking queries, rosters, weather data, and so on. Per-user, per-title storage provides 32 KB of storage for each player of the title, to store playbooks, settings, and so on.

Family Title ID
Family Title IDs allow title-managed storage, teams, and messages to be shared across a family of titles. A given title can belong to as many as four title families. The way in which storage, teams, and messages are shared across the title family is up to the publisher and title developers. For example, a publisher with multiple sports titles could have a developer use a Family Title ID that allows a user to create a team that spans all of the publisher's sports titles.

Teams
The Teams feature allows players to form teams within a title that persist between game sessions. Titles expose this functionality using the XOnlineTeamXXXX and XOnlinePeerXXXX functions. The infrastructure, permissions, display, and role of teams depend on the design of the title.

Competitions
Titles can use the Competitions feature to run automated in-game single-elimination tournaments. The participants in a tournament can be either teams or individuals. Tournaments are created either by the title publisher or by the players themselves.

Messaging
With Messaging, titles can send and receive any kind of game-specific message (including voice and text attachments) using the XOnlineMessageXXXX functions. Messages can be sent between teammates, friends, or players.

New Xbox Live Statistics Features
The updated Stats APIs enable titles to group users into dynamic teams, called "units". Each unit can contain up to four players. Users can compare how their units rank against each other on the new Unit Leaderboards

Xbox365.com (http://forum.xbox365.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014627;p=)

Now, mind you, this is just a rumor for now, as none of this is really official yet, hence, why I'm not making this News....but dam, Halo2 will be the one to kick this off. I'll keep up on this when I get more!!

BunnyRabbit
01-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Thats awesome stuff.. Some of that cokamamee confused me to the read.. eh.. But Man I surely would love that voice mail stuff to happen. Imagine that Man. I would leave so many harassing voicemails for people to listen to.. Dude this is psyching me out. AwEsOmE! :p

Cryogenic Pyro
01-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Those new features are good and all, but I still think they should add a favorite servers list, and have you be able to list every server, like half the PC games out there.

themoosearmy
01-12-2004, 11:55 PM
....but dam, Halo2 will be the one to kick this off. I'll keep up on this when I get more!!
Yeah, the one thing Halo 1 doesn't have, Live capability. I can't wait for halo on xbox live. I love playing it on PC but its just not the same without that controller in your hands. Besides, i'm 10x better on Xbox. I love the tournament idea! Plus, when they say teams, April 2004, all I can think of is Halo 2! (I know its a rumor but I'd rather see some things mill around than be kept in the dark)

l Maximus l
01-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Nice call, Casper...this would rock for Halo 2...oh man...

FragMaster B
01-13-2004, 01:14 PM
GREAT find bro. Sounds like some good stuff!

Something I'd add to that list if I were MS:
All the time I meet up with people online and then want to contact them later so we can hook up again. To make Xbox LIVE a true community, we need some way to be able to contact people we play with online... I wouldn't think this would be that hard to do... they've started making everybody use a .Net account for XSN and Xbox linking... and all.NET accounts have email attached...

dances with broom sticks
01-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Voice Mail in UIX Friends

I said they should have this from the very start. I hope this is true, and not just a dumb rumor

FragMaster B
01-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Dunno how kosher this is... but I found a near identical post here.

http://www.n-h-b.com/gamer/news1201041.html

Says at the bottom:
"This is official as it has been taken from the Xbox Development Kit Readme File."

..for what it's worth.

TrueBelieverUK*
01-13-2004, 01:56 PM
will it be a free dowload update. a pay for download update, or do you think a whole new £40 box?

tbuk

BinaryXtreme
01-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Sounds pretty cool. Looking forward to these new features. :D

jimmer71
01-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by themoosearmy

Yeah, the one thing Halo 1 doesn't have, Live capability. I can't wait for halo on xbox live. I love playing it on PC but its just not the same without that controller in your hands. Besides, i'm 10x better on Xbox.

Just to let you guys know. They sell a converter that enables you play with your Xbox controller on your PC. It adapts it to play with usb and includes software to convert. It is awesome. They also do it for PS2 but who would want that?

AlphaRaptor
01-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Interesting. Using voice messages would be handy. :)

CharlieHustle
01-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by TrueBeleiverUK*
will it be a free dowload update. a pay for download update, or do you think a whole new £40 box?

tbuk

I am more than sur it will be a free download update.. Think about we, or at least I just renewed my subscription, and i believe that this is standard service for us live users.

Brevity
01-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Nice find, I cant wait to see where things will go from here.

Salmonaitor
01-14-2004, 12:36 PM
That's a lot of stuff to get for free. I bet EA is going to kick itself for not getting in bed with XBL now. They are primarily a sports dev, and this would be HUGE for the ESPN titles!

DocHoliday78
01-14-2004, 01:00 PM
This sounds great but i am with pyro about the favorite server list. It would be so much easier.

Salmonaitor
01-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78
This sounds great but i am with pyro about the favorite server list. It would be so much easier.
That would be good in a way, but don't you think that part of the XBL experience is meeting different people? If you always stick to the same servers, then I think you're missing out on the entire experience and what it was designed for. Just my opinion.

jimmer71
01-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Salmonaitor

That would be good in a way, but don't you think that part of the XBL experience is meeting different people? If you always stick to the same servers, then I think you're missing out on the entire experience and what it was designed for. Just my opinion.

I would agree with you. That is part of it, I like playing with new people. I was playing GRIT the other night and this guy was tearing it up. He had like 40+ kills on COOP with 4 other guys in room. Now if I only went to the same server night after night I would have never witnessed that. It actually made me a better player, watching and learning from an insane player. It was as though he had eyes in the back of his head.

TrueBelieverUK*
01-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by CharlieHustle

I am more than sur it will be a free download update.. Think about we, or at least I just renewed my subscription, and i believe that this is standard service for us live users.

well i only just bought xbl and havnt (and probably wont for a few weeks) set it up yet:(

ig a newer one comes out a mnth b4 my birthday, i'll scream!

tbuk:argue1:

Dark Enemy
01-18-2004, 06:45 PM
looks to be the best download yet

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=5948960