PDA

View Full Version : Live sports games?

Sexaya
01-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Right, I'm getting Live in a while, along with RS3 (weee!). Anyway, while online FPS's are fun, they involve lots of poeple and can't be intimate :D. K, now kidding aside - I was wondering which of these should I get?

-Links 2004
-Top Spin
-ESPN NFL 2K4

Which of these provide the best Live experience and have the best/largest/both community. Thanks!

Cheers,
Yair.

</edit> Also, whch of these don't demand low pings, since I live in Israel I might have lag cross-country. And as long as I'm here, if you have a PAL system can you play with NTSC people? Thanks again </edit>

Zion
01-13-2004, 07:44 AM
I'd probably get Crimson Skies, but that's just me. The only thing wrong with the 3 you mentioned is that it is really a commitment once you get started. Once you start a football game, tennis match, or golf tournament you're tied up for the next hour or two. And that's fine if that's what you want to do.

I'm just saying I prefer Live with games like Crimson Skies, Midtown Madness, and MotoGP2 where you can get on and have a total blast for as long as you want and leave whenever you want to. Those games are very exciting as opposed to the slow pace of the 3 you mentioned. I guess I also prefer having 5-6 people in the game rather than one on one. You can only talk smack for so long to one person.

Sexaya
01-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm also considering to buy Crimson Skies if I get the money from somewhere... Heh. Anyway, what about my other question, can you play PAL vs. NTSC?

Casper
01-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Zion
I'd probably get Crimson Skies, but that's just me. The only thing wrong with the 3 you mentioned is that it is really a commitment once you get started. Once you start a football game, tennis match, or golf tournament you're tied up for the next hour or two. And that's fine if that's what you want to do.

That's not totally true actually. With Links, you can play Quick Play matches and shoot at the same time everyone else is, seeing trails for the other player's shots, and the matches don't take more than 15 minutes.

As far as all of those go, great amazing games, especially on Live. You may have a problem with Links with the low-ping, but I don't think that will be a problem anymore since the latest update. I have all 3 and play them more than RS3.

Sexaya
01-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Gah. Thanks, Casper... But sadly I don't have enough money, I might gather up a little for 2 games but I doubt it... So which one of those are the best and the most worthwhile?

Casper
01-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Sexaya
Gah. Thanks, Casper... But sadly I don't have enough money, I might gather up a little for 2 games but I doubt it... So which one of those are the best and the most worthwhile?

Well, I'll put it this way. With the 2 XSN titles (Links and Top Spin) you basically build your own character, thus giving you alot more time offline. Throughout the career, you can use your player on XBL and however many stat points you have your player built to is what they will be on Live. I just beat Links a few weeks ago and my player is so strong that someone else that beat the game will most likely be the only match for me, or someone close to the end.

As for ESPN, it's still an amazing game, but also, the season is coming to an end, so I'm not really sure how many folks will still be on Live with it, it's a toss up.

I'd say right now if you can, get Links and Top Spin. In a month or so, ESPN NFL should be cheap as hell over there - it's been on sale around here for about $20 USD some times....so it'll be dropping in price shortly.