PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Problem!!!!

Stiner169
01-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Ever time I put in a CD it gives me a dirty disc, even when the CD is real clean, and ever one I have talked to says it is the lens and that it is broken. But ever time I ask how much would it cost to get it fixed, I never got an answer. So I turn to Xbox addicts for help!

My question is would it be cheaper to just buy a new Xbox or would it be cheaper to get it fixed?
:huh:

brozz
01-13-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm not technician, but I would say your dvd drive is bad. Try looking on ebay for a replacement, be careful tho, you could end up buying a drive thats as bad as the one you already own.
You didn't say how old your Xbox was. That should be a factor when considering wether to replace the drive or the whole unit.

LORDFUSE
01-13-2004, 09:49 AM
I was having the same problem and then i used a disc cleaner a few different times throughout the day. Now i get that message once every week maybe. Maybe that is what you need to do unless you already did.

Snake Eyez
01-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Try a DVD lens cleaner first. If that doesn't work, you could do what Casper did. Clean it out and make sure that it works for a little while and trade it in to a place like EB. They'll give you $100 in store credit. That means that a new Xbox will only cost you $79 which is less than what MS will charge you to fix your Xbox.

RichVGS
01-13-2004, 08:04 PM
I agree with trading it in for credit and getting a new system (I'd get a credit slip and go to the same chain at a different location so no one wonders what is going on). Just be sure you get a new system. Someone earlier traded in their Xbox for a used one and the same problem was happening with the "new" used one.

l Maximus l
01-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Do you still have the cardboard box that your XBox came in? If so, just place it back inside...go to Walmart or some large electronics chain and say that you got it for a Christmas gift and you are having problems with it and you want to exchange it.

Don't worry, you're not hurting the store at all. They simply get a replacement from Microsoft and they send back the faulty one to MS. If anything, it costs MS...but, they can fix it and resell it.

Personally, I have no qualms about this procedure...MS should learn to make a more solid system...that is, unless you were playing the hell out of it :D

BunnyRabbit
01-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Do you still have the cardboard box that your XBox came in? If so, just place it back inside...go to Walmart or some large electronics chain and say that you got it for a Christmas gift and you are having problems with it and you want to exchange it.

Don't worry, you're not hurting the store at all. They simply get a replacement from Microsoft and they send back the faulty one to MS. If anything, it costs MS...but, they can fix it and resell it.

Personally, I have no qualms about this procedure...MS should learn to make a more solid system...that is, unless you were playing the hell out of it :D

I want to do that so bad. But my mom swears up and down that its not going to work. I also then wanted to get $90 from EB.. Which they give 90 rather 100 now. They said it has to play games. Mine turns on but reads nothing. How do they check for it working?

I think my XBox is worth more than $40.. It seems like a rip.. Which is what EB offered me.

MikeMan91389
01-13-2004, 09:29 PM
im rippin BB off. TAkin back Namco Classics, Splintercell for PS2, and PoP for 110 store credit... i got em on the cglitch for 58 bux :)

nG-Punisher
01-14-2004, 12:56 AM

That actually sound's like a good idea...maybe buy a broken one off of ebay and then try that...only thing that could happen is they turn me down, eh thanks for giving me the idea :cheers:

Highlite23
01-14-2004, 12:57 PM
I would try the Discwasher system, it's a wet/dry lens cleaner available at Suncoast Video for $20.

Off the record a MS rep told me that the dry type only moves debris around rather than wiping it clean. Make sure it's completly dry before paying any games on it, 24hrs would be a safe bet.

jimmer71
01-14-2004, 01:25 PM

I cannot believe what I am hearing! I have had 3 Xboxes in 2 years and have not even dreamed of doing that. The last one I bought... I got the extended warranty for $20.00 as I am sure all of you got offered when you bought yours. Decieving MS is not the answer. I aggree MS should do away with the Thomson, but we should not deceive them either. Anyways I would believe the store would get suspious if you were bring back a Xbox with a Manufacture Date of say 10-09-02 when those have not been sold in over a year and half. You can try to sell your broken one on Ebay, just make sure you disclose what is wrong with it in posting. You will get way more than $40 for it. I sold mine and got $129.00 and sold 3 games taht I have not played in a while for around $50.00. I also sold Star Wars/Tetris for $23.00. So I paid a total of $20 for my Xbox and that included a warranty. So before you decieve try the Ebay thing. Just make sure you tell them it is having DDE in listing, so you don't end up screwing another Xbox addict. I am sorrry if I ranted but remember "God is watching you"

CRAYMAN
01-14-2004, 01:44 PM

When you say "Personally, I have no qualms about this procedure", I can't help but wonder, what procedures do you have qualms with?

:(

TrueBelieverUK*
01-14-2004, 03:51 PM
if i lived in the US, and had a walmart, i'd do it
:D

Snake Eyez
01-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by CRAYMAN

When you say "Personally, I have no qualms about this procedure", I can't help but wonder, what procedures do you have qualms with?

:(

He is on the fence on stealing people's kidneys and leaving them in a bathtub full of ice.

mrgeorge88
01-14-2004, 04:27 PM
if you kept the informational sheets that came with your xbox you can call a number on there and tell them whats wrong

CRAYMAN
01-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Snake Eyez

He is on the fence on stealing people's kidneys and leaving them in a bathtub full of ice.

:rofl:

BoundBruiser
01-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by BunnyRabbit

I want to do that so bad. But my mom swears up and down that its not going to work. I also then wanted to get $90 from EB.. Which they give 90 rather 100 now. They said it has to play games. Mine turns on but reads nothing. How do they check for it working?

I think my XBox is worth more than $40.. It seems like a rip.. Which is what EB offered me.

Don't feel left out, that's exactly what is wrong with mine. It happened right when I got my 2nd xbox to have lan parties.