PDA

View Full Version : Ed Fries leaves Microsoft.

Xbox Owner
01-13-2004, 02:16 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ed Fries, the long-time head of Microsoft Game Studios and the man responsible for cementing industry relationships for the company's Xbox video game console, has resigned, Microsoft said Tuesday.

click here for the rest of the story. (http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/13/technology/microsoft_xbox.reut/index.htm)

BinaryXtreme
01-13-2004, 02:19 PM
It's official: Ed Fries, vice president of games publishing for Microsoft, has left the company. In an email sent by Robbie Bach, Chief Xbox Officer, Fries has turned in his resignation to Microsoft after 18 years of service. Until an official successor can be found, Shane Kim, Fries' top lieutenant, will be acting as chief of Microsoft Game Studios.

For those of you who don't know Ed Fries, his role in the success of the Xbox is significant. Playing an integral role in securing third-party support, as well as helping produce some of the most successful Xbox titles to date (Halo, Project Gotham Racing), Fries was also the one who pushed the acquisition of such development studios as Bungie Studios, Ensemble Studios, and Rare Ltd.
But even before the Xbox was created, Fries played a substantial role in Microsoft Game Studios' success on the PC. Under his guidance, Microsoft Game Studios produced such memorable titles as Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, and Flight Simulator

Casper
01-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Heh, can this be a good thing? Either or, it's already on the front page :p

Xbox Owner
01-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
Heh, can this be a good thing? Either or, it's already on the front page :p

i posted it before it was on the front page

thrAsher
01-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner
i posted it before it was on the front page

DANG! I'm all outta cookies, too.

BunnyRabbit
01-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by thrAsher

DANG! I'm all outta cookies, too.

Dont worry man.. I got you covered =)...

/cookie

There...

I wonder what will happen without Fries...Frankly.. I dont care. MUAHAHAH! :watchout:

Casper
01-13-2004, 03:27 PM
January 13, 2004 - It's official: Ed Fries, vice president of games publishing for Microsoft, has left the company. In an email sent by Robbie Bach, Chief Xbox Officer, Fries has turned in his resignation to Microsoft after 18 years of service. Until an official successor can be found, Shane Kim, Fries' top lieutenant, will be acting as chief of Microsoft Game Studios.

For those of you who don't know Ed Fries, his role in the success of the Xbox is significant. Playing an integral role in securing third-party support, as well as helping produce some of the most successful Xbox titles to date (Halo, Project Gotham Racing), Fries was also the one who pushed the acquisition of such development studios as Bungie Studios, Ensemble Studios, and Rare Ltd.
But even before the Xbox was created, Fries played a substantial role in Microsoft Game Studios' success on the PC. Under his guidance, Microsoft Game Studios produced such memorable titles as Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, and Flight Simulator.

Reasons for Fries' abrupt departure are unknown at this time other than he hopes to "pursue other goals." Given the Xbox's strong entry into the console market, and its sustained popularity, leaving now seems a bit odd.

The Xbox, despite its second-place standing in the console race, has seen its share of deserters; Seamus Blackley, co-creator and technical director of the Xbox, also left Microsoft earlier in the console's lifetime. That said, Microsoft actually gained a few notable names, including its current Director of Content Planning, Ken Lobb.

What does this mean for the future of the Xbox, and its successor? It's hard to say, really. With developer ties already strong, and a healthy stable of first-party licenses to exploit, things appear to be in good hands.

Update: We just received a phone call from Robbie Bach regarding Fries' leaving. Fries apparently did not leave for any specific reason, and will be taking time off to decide what direction he wants to head. Bach noted Fries' enthusiasm for games, and said he wouldn't be surprised if Fries remains in the games industry.

As noted above, Shane Kim, Fries' right-hand man for years, will take on the open position and assume any and all authority that Fries did. Whether this will be a permanent shift is unknown. Bach did say that a decision regarding the matter would made within the next 30 to 90 days.

We'll have more on Fries' departure as it happens.

IGN.com (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/462/462435p1.html)

BunnyRabbit
01-13-2004, 03:37 PM
MAN! This thread is an "Important" Sticky thread.. None of my threads have ever been important...:cry:

Ahww phooey!

Casper
01-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BunnyRabbit
MAN! This thread is an "Important" Sticky thread.. None of my threads have ever been important...:cry:

Ahww phooey!

Well, this is huge news for Xbox - so it deserves it.

He had his hands on what the Xbox is now, and with games that he toyed with like PGR and Halo, I'm very shocked to see him go. We got to see him at E3 and he seemed very cool - too bad that he chose to do this.

Reclaimer
01-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Ah crap! Don't let the other console fanboys see this, or we're going to get besiged with threads and posts.. Look! Look! The Xbox is doomed...

Cryogenic Pyro
01-13-2004, 04:17 PM
This can only mean one of two things, that the Xbox is only going to get better, that the Xbox is going to get worse, or that the Xbox is gonna be the same.

Casper
01-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Noone finds this a hot topic? Wow....

BunnyRabbit
01-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
Noone finds this a hot topic? Wow....

Well leave it a sticky thread. Sure I mean it could be a big thing. I dont know much about it so I suppose we will just have to see what happens with xbox and stuff. Hopefully he left everything in some good hands.. Ya Naw Mean? :p

l Maximus l
01-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Honestly, I'm shocked. But, there is some good news: I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geiko.

Uchiha Sasuke
01-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Man this sucks. Ms just lost one of its best assets. Hopefully they can find someone that can fill his shoes.

l Maximus l
01-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Honestly, dudes...this isn't as huge as one may think. One thing is for sure, Microsoft is not going to lose the current relationships they have with third party companies...those are well established and they want to be with XBox badly anyway.

This opens the doors for new stuff...new opportunities...new accomplishments. Bach has worked with Fries for nearly a decade as his right hand man...think about it...everything is allllll good, brethren :)

MikeMan91389
01-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Honestly, I'm shocked. But, there is some good news: I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geiko.

ME TOO!!!! heh... not really...i only 14, no car for me... but yeah, i cant blieve it... so wasn't even expecting or considering it...

OC Noob
01-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro
This can only mean one of two things, that the Xbox is only going to get better, that the Xbox is going to get worse, or that the Xbox is gonna be the same.

lol, must've changed your mind in mid-sentence.

Salmonaitor
01-14-2004, 09:33 AM
New blood can mean new relationships. This is not necessarily a bad thing. A new perspective, especially from a young upstart, can revitalize and push a company to a new level. This is good news, until proven otherwise.