PDA

View Full Version : Otogi 2 : Best Looking Game on Xbox?

thrAsher
01-14-2004, 10:07 AM
January 13, 2004 - The sequel to Otogi seemingly came out of nowhere when it was first shown back at the September Tokyo Game Show. With the original being one of the Xbox's bigger titles here in Japan, and the sequel not actually being labeled "Otogi 2," we originally assumed that developer From Software had merely slapped together some new levels for hungry Otogi fans out there. How wrong we were.

For Otogi: Hiyakki Toubatsue Maki (we'll refer to it as Otogi 2 from now on), From created a brand new graphics engine. While the original looked good, this sequel has enough graphical finesse to be one of the Xbox's best looking titles. We can't recall having ever seen a game combine such blazing color with screen-filling particle and lighting effects. You'll have to pick this game up just to set your eyes upon it.
Gameplay has also seen some hefty additions over the original. While the basic control layout remains the same, you can now play the game as six characters. Each character has his own special abilities and merits. Rai Kou, from the original, is the average character, with good balance for magic, attacks and movement. Other characters are strong in some areas and lacking in others. One character has a weak attack but can link combos better. Another character, who if we're not mistaken is a tree stump attached to a ship's steering column, can jump endlessly and attack from afar, but moves slowly.

You have to decide which character to use at a given time carefully. Levels in Otogi 2 are now split into multiple stages, accessible freely via an overworld map. The first level has two stages with the second having three. In any given level, you can use a character to clear only one stage. Once used, the character cannot be used for the other stages in that level. To decide which character to use you have to look closely at the stage's information, including details on the enemies that appear, prior to the start of the level. Or, you can just use trial and error.

Read the rest over @ IGN. (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/462/462433p1.html)

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/otogi2_tgs_092703_07.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/otogi2_tgs_092703_06.jpg

Trento52
01-14-2004, 06:10 PM
i liked the first one but i never thought this one might be the best looking game on xbox.

AloneInTheDark
01-14-2004, 06:33 PM
No way, have you seen rid****. I'm trying to push this game on people, but I can't seem to find any screens, but the game is one of the best looking games ever. But I can't wait for otogi 2!

George89
01-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know of any release date for Otogi 2? I was going to get the first.....but if there's already talk of a sequel soon....

MerimacHamwich
01-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Far far from it. Already released 1 year old game, Deathrow, looks better. Not to mention all of the other titles.
:)

Cryogenic Pyro
01-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Those screenshots don't do the game justice, obviously. The first Otogi had much better graphics than those screenshots seem to have. That's the thing about screenshots, a lot of the time they are horrible compared to the actual game. If I had money, I'd own Otogi, but I'm waiting for Otogi 2, and hoping I'll have money by the time it comes.

Hero
01-15-2004, 04:57 AM
i have otogi and havent even played it yet :eek:

Ninja Scroll
01-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Hero
i have otogi and havent even played it yet

I have about 4 or 5 Xbox games I have never took da plastic off, and a good 3 or 4 I have played no more than 3 mintues of!:watchout: :eek: :watchout:

Well I heard da Japanese who buy Otagi 2 will get da original or free!
I have been sold on da first, but have yet to cop it.
If this special deals goes down here in da US I wont hesitate to drop some cheese on it!;)

But hopefully it wont come out here nowhere near Ninja Gaidens release, or it will be a bad move on Sega's part.

thrAsher
01-15-2004, 08:54 AM
I agree that those screens do not support IGN's argument that Otogi 2 could be the best looking game on the X. Still, I'm curious, because the first one was pretty breathtaking in that category, having some of the best graphics I've seen in an Xbox title.

Any which way, I'll be forking over the $$$ for Otogi 2. With all the additional characters to play, and larger worlds, it's shaping up to be quite a game.

Shadow20002
01-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Well, the first one was short but fun and have a solid gameplay. Hopefully the second one will come here also...

Trento52
01-15-2004, 04:17 PM
i would have to say that the collest part of otogi myth of demonds was the heat waves and stuff from the lava level and the last level was pretty cool too but way too easy. I had really good luck with the butterfly spell and staff. The boss is really fast but that is why you use the butterflies they are the fastes spell and teh staff makes it stronger.

Shadow20002
01-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Trento52
i would have to say that the collest part of otogi myth of demonds was the heat waves and stuff from the lava level and the last level was pretty cool too but way too easy. I had really good luck with the butterfly spell and staff. The boss is really fast but that is why you use the butterflies they are the fastes spell and teh staff makes it stronger.

I can kill him in less than 1 minute...for REAL ! :cool:

Spaztic
01-16-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't know how I missed the first game, but I am renting it tonight! Game looks cool as hell!

Hard Boiled Cop
01-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I thought the first one was hard. Hope they add Co op play in the 2nd since there are lots of characters.

Trento52
01-16-2004, 03:53 PM
that would be cool having co op missions but i bet there would be slow down for all teh smashing and crashing and enemies flying all around but it would still be cool. It would be really fun.

colosso
01-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Far far from it. Already released 1 year old game, Deathrow, looks better. Not to mention all of the other titles.
:) deathrow looks better? common only the ones like panzer dragoon orta or dead or alive 3 are better than this one,but IGN editors are saying that otogi 2 is better than its predecessor,so we'll see.:D

alistein
01-17-2004, 12:06 AM
This game is truly one of the best looking games currently on the xbox. Also the game is and always have been developed by Fromsoftware and not SEGA. SEGA only published the first one in the U.S in Japan both first one and second were published by Fromsoftware . You should go to www.gametrailers.com and check out the gameplay trailer to get an understanding of how good the game looks not only graphically but also the art in the game is superbly astounding, it will leave you breathless and by the way the game is already out in Japan it was scheduled to be released on the 25th of december 2003 which is now past so you should be able to get a copy on ebay or amazon. There is no telling if it would ever se a release over here in the states as the original didn't seem to sell well and I doubt SEGA with all their problems would be able or willing to publish the second one.