PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A Fellow XBA'er

Yannie Boy
01-14-2004, 10:33 AM
ive been getting ddes since day one of opening of the xbox.....i ignore them all the time...ive had my xbox for about 2 years? has it been that long? well i've been getting it left and right and now after two years it's annoying me because some games will take forever to load or won't load at all.....and if i play the same game on a friends xbox it'll play problem free...

it gets to the point that i can buy a new game and ill get a dde right when i start the new right out of the box game....

people have told me that it's like that because i have too many soundtracks on the hard drive....

some say it's the lens being dirty...
ive cleaned it over and over and nothing

my friend says it's just a faulty xbox because of the in frequent times the xbox would try to start up and shut off right after....

my thing is i don't want to have to buy a new xbox because of all my memory getting lost...

or having to open a replace it my self...

I just need a resolution that is safe and will solve this problem, and how much it'll cost.

Any help will be appriciated

OuFtb
01-14-2004, 11:11 AM
You've had your Xbox for a couple of years, does that mean it could be one of the lauch Xboxs, if so you could call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX, hopfully thats the right number, tell them what going on, they might say its your drive and it will cost about 100 dollars to fix, then ask them if they still fix them for free, if so he will get your serial number from your Xbox if its on the list they fix it for free. Thats if they still fix them like that, I don't know but might be worth a shot.

Casper
01-14-2004, 11:15 AM
If it's out of warranty, open it up and clean the lens with a dry Q-Tip. Also, I wouldn't try and go overboard with the DVD cleaners, they basically do a clean sweep the first time and if you overuse them, you could risk scratching the lens.

There are replacement drives or lasers availible on Ebay if MS doesn't help out with getting you a replacement for free. I would demand that they act on it for free, as all of us are having problems with the launch drives and they are being as mum as they can about the dam thing.

Good luck :cheers:

DocHoliday78
01-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
I would demand that they act on it for free, as all of us are having problems with the launch drives and they are being as mum as they can about the dam thing.

Thats what my friend and i did. If you really give them a hard time (being polite but consistent) and explain that its a launch xbox then you should get it for free. Make sure you mention that all the games that get DDE's on your xbox works fine on your friends.

Yannie Boy
01-15-2004, 06:39 AM
so your saying if it's a launch box (which it is) they'll fix it for free if i complain my ass off but in the nicest way?

Ninja Scroll
01-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Chupacabra
so your saying if it's a launch box (which it is) they'll fix it for free if i complain my ass off but in the nicest way?

I dunno about all dat homie. I called dem da other week when I bought an XBL resubscription card for $34.99 @ Circuit City on sale not knowing my credit card was automatically charged.
So now I have XBL until Dec 2005!
Well anyways while I was confirming my subscription to dem I meantioned all my Dirty Disc errors, ect. and was meantioning my Xbox was a launch version and what not.
He told me they would sent a mailing sticker, and said now long it would take, ..yadda, yadda,.. but I will have to pay for it's repairs & shipping.

I personally think it's a MS conspiracy to have Xbox consoles with weak lens's in order to have customers send there Xbox's in and make more loot off of us.
Even those of us who dropped 300 beans like you and I.

Da least they could do for us is give us atleast a free repair for supporting da XBox in 2001. :cuss:

btw, ESPN NFL is my biggest problem.
My RainbowSix3 when loading on a few occasions has frozen.

More, and more peeps are complaining, so just know there are thousands just like you who have used da DVD lens cleaners and what now.

I was gonna open my Xbox, but still have yet to find a screw driver to fit.

Casper
01-15-2004, 08:15 AM
FYI - the cost of shipping it plus the repairs from MS themselves is the same price as trading in your XBox to EB or Gamestop and buying a brand new one ($179 for a new Xbox - $100 trade in value = $79....it comes with Clone Wars which you can trade in for another $10)

Anyways, my Xbox is shot, and it's not just the laser, my NIC is going bad and I'm constantly getting disconnected from XBL, so I'm dealing with Tier 3 support from Xbox right now - they 'fixed' it last year, but nope....it's still crap.

Ninja Scroll
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM

Anyways, my Xbox is shot, and it's not just the laser, my NIC is going bad and I'm constantly getting disconnected from XBL, so I'm dealing with Tier 3 support from Xbox right now - they 'fixed' it last year, but nope....it's still crap.

I thought you said you turned yours into MS and they fixed it.
So let me get dis right.
You payed for da repairs and it still does not work?
How much in total have you spend, and what did MS say once you called dem back about your console still not working?

Dis is some b.s. too many cats with hardware issues.

You never hear no one complain about GC. which btw I never had no probs with mine,... then again, I cant remember da last time I played it.:watchout: :eek: :watchout:

nonedaless, I played Wind Waker, RE, RE Zero, WMX8 and no issues.

MS should be ashamed of dem selfs.:cuss:
Dis is how we get treated for our loyalty?

Im still proud to say I never bought a PSOne & PS2!

Casper
01-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
You never hear no one complain about GC. which btw I never had no probs with mine,... then again, I cant remember da last time I played it.:watchout: :eek: :watchout:

Cuz nobody plays the dam thing as much as they do their Xbox :o

Anyways, last May, I sent it back for FREE since it was still under warranty. They said they fixed it, but they only formatted the hard drive and didn't replace the laser, which was the real problem. Anyways, it worked for awhile, but about a month later, the new games gave me DDE's sometimes.

Now, I called last night and I'm waiting for them to call back. They're probably gonna tell me that I have to pay for it, but I won't, and I'll just tell them that I'm gonna do the swap and maybe leave them some nice feedback on customer service here on XBA. We'll see what happens.

But so far - I haven't had to pay a dime to get it fixed...so far.

Btw - just a note on MS - this isn't shocking. If you buy Windows from them and then they're is a virus that exploits their system and infects your computer, it's not their fault. Nooo, you should have been more careful.....than 5 days later they release an Update to fix the hole...yeah, so don't expect MS to say "we're recalling these drives since we screwed up" They are the king of having customers spend more money for something a little bit better, but never really fixing the problem in the first place :rolleyes:

Yata_Garasu
01-15-2004, 01:38 PM
I had the exact same problem as you.... word for word!

so when I called Microsoft and they told me to pay $91 .... I was like ummmmm... how about no. You can trade in the Xbox for 100 store credits at Gamestop. and then pay the $80 difference and BAAAMMM. brand new Xbox. That's what I did. And about the memory thing... I had a memory card and transfered my memory to my brother's XBox... so it worked out.

Hope this helps..........

Ninja Scroll
01-15-2004, 02:20 PM

They're probably gonna tell me that I have to pay for it, but I won't, and I'll just tell them that I'm gonna do the swap and maybe leave them some nice feedback on customer service here on XBA. We'll see what happens.

Da swap? What's dat? If your sayin what I think you are, do you mean go to somewhere like Wal-Mart, CC, Best Buy, ect. Buy da joint and "swap" it with your crappy joint and return it in da original box, and get your $179.99 back?!:watchout:

Dark Jerky told me to do it. I was worried if da customer service would scan da serial number on da Xbox?:eek:

BananaMan
01-15-2004, 03:16 PM

Da swap? What's dat? If your sayin what I think you are, do you mean go to somewhere like Wal-Mart, CC, Best Buy, ect. Buy da joint and "swap" it with your crappy joint and return it in da original box, and get your $179.99 back?!:watchout:

Dark Jerky told me to do it. I was worried if da customer service would scan da serial number on da Xbox?:eek:

yeah someone let me know if this works, because my xb0x has the old drive that won't run cd-rs and i get a couple of ddes...

Snake Eyez
01-15-2004, 03:43 PM

This is Max-XBA was suggesting for people to do. In a place like Wal-Mart, I don't think they will scan the Serial number. But it may be harder to accomplish in places like BB and CC since they seem to be more savy when it comes to electronics.

l Maximus l
01-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Like Snake Eyez said, I've done the swap. I'm not suggesting doing it or not suggesting, however...I'm saying that I did it and the only thing I suffered was the loss of my memory.

But, it gave me a great excuse to play all my games again...on a much better built XBox than my fried chicken launch XBox. My new one is so much more quiet and it seems much faster, too. Yeah, so I lost a ton of game saves and music tracks....but, I was planning on erasing a bunch of music tracks anyway and add a bunch more new ones anyhow.

Just make sure that you erase your XBox Live subscription from the Hard-drive...and all of the memory (if you would like) before trading that bad boy in.

I had my original box...which of course was not bundled with a free game or games and it had the Original Controller instead of the S-Type. So, the main reason why I have 2 XBoxes now is that I bought a new one, took my old XBox and put it into the new case...put an S-Type controller in there, all the paper work, cables, and so on....and returned the mama jama for a second XBox.

This made it much less conspicuous...especially since I was just down at the store purchasing a new one.

I wanted a second XBox anyway....it makes it really convenient for System Linking...which I do pretty often. Also, when I System Link at a friend's house, I can just grab my XBox on my 36" tube TV instead of dealing with the XBox that's hooked up to my HDTV, surround sound and all that jazz. Makes it nice :)

Snake Eyez
01-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Like Snake Eyez said, I've done the swap. I'm not suggesting doing it or not suggesting, however...I'm saying that I did it and the only thing I suffered was the loss of my memory.

Why did you lose your saved games? Couldn't you have transfered them to the new Xbox? I transferred most of my saves and only lost the things that I had downloaded from Live, because they were too large to fit on a memory card.

Casper
01-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Snake Eyez

Why did you lose your saved games? Couldn't you have transfered them to the new Xbox? I transferred most of my saves and only lost the things that I had downloaded from Live, because they were too large to fit on a memory card.

No, he's saying he lost some brain cells cuz it was just too much for him to comprehend at one time. :)

Anyways, Ninja this is what I'm saying, in a much more legit way:

Trade in your XBox to Gamestop. You get $100 for it if it can read 2 different games (easy test). Once you get the $100 store credit, purchase a new XBox which comes with $179, minus the $100 in store credit that you have, this will cost you $79 out of pocket. You can also just trade the Clone Wars game that it comes with for an additional $10 in store credit, or discount of what you buy, which will make a brand new Xbox $69 - perfect # ;)

Just got off the phone with Xbox Support. The problems with my XBL problems are caused because of the router I have been using. It's a Linksys BEFSR41 v.1 - which is known to have problems with that, but the guy I talked to last night didn't realize that. Anywho, I have to use Dr. TCP on my PC to adjust my MTU settings to that it works better with XBL, fixing my issue.

As for the drive, they said that they'd 'look into' giving me a 25% discount on getting my drive fixed by them, mainly because I sent it in last year and I told them that I was just gonna get a new one with my swap idea. So I'm still waiting for a call back from them, but most likely, I'm getting a new Xbox this weekend.

Buyer beware - Xbox Holiday Packages are found to have the Thompson drive in some of them, so don't buy them - get a real non-holiday package setup and you'll be fine

Hero
01-16-2004, 03:23 AM
hey chupacabra

go to ebay type "xbox parts drive" and you will see some drives come up that you can easily replace your drive with but if the price is to high for you then i recommend just buying a new xbox.

Yannie Boy
01-16-2004, 06:43 AM
yea i called them last night and they told me that it was my responsibilty to suscribe to the warrenty to prevent things like from happening. but since i didn't that i would have to pay 100 to get it fixed.... then he explained how 45% of the launch boxes have some internal problems...but they said that thier not trying to look for them since so many people "claimed" that thier box doesn't work...... and they'll send a casing if i want to get it fixed..

i told them " No that will be ok...but if i do change my mind ill call again"

Now ain't that the most BS you've ever heard????

Ford Mustang
01-16-2004, 06:58 AM
You're right, man. That is a bunch of garbage. MS comes up with a product that they ACKNOWLEDGE has problems yet they refuse to fix it for you without paying a big chunk of change. That, my friend, is completely and udderly rediculous.