PDA

View Full Version : Will GTA DP Offend Me?

selowitch
01-16-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm considering buying the Grand Theft Auto Double-Pack, but I wonder if it will offend me.

I know it'll definitely offend my wife, so I won't be asking her to play anytime soon.

But what I'd like to know—is this going to brand me as some insensitive, sexist, psychotic wack-job or something?

Zion
01-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by selowitch

But what I'd like to know—is this going to brand me as some insensitive, sexist, psychotic wack-job or something?

No more than you already are.

thrAsher
01-16-2004, 01:07 PM
I don't know about offending you. More like bore you to death. I had it for about a week and hated it. Traded it a week after that.

I mean, it's fun for about an hour or two, then it just loses it's appeal. I never really liked the first two on PC, but got sucked in by that ugly beast the Hype Machine....

Personally, I'd save my money, selowitch.

Yankeez
01-16-2004, 01:34 PM
As long as you dont forget its just a video game :)

TrueBelieverUK*
01-16-2004, 02:04 PM
just remeber its a game

its entertainment, not real

TBUK:huh:

Servo
01-16-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't know wat thrAsher means by boring, it's a great and fun game and it will only offend u if u are a big pu55y.

Servo
01-16-2004, 02:48 PM
wooh! sorry man just realized wat I wrote I'm not calling your wife a pu55y incase u read wat i wrote and think i was dissing your wife.

selowitch
01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Servo
wooh! sorry man just realized wat I wrote I'm not calling your wife a pu55y incase u read wat i wrote and think i was dissing your wife.

No problem, and no need for a retraction. I understood you and it never even seemed to me that you might be dissing my wife.

selowitch
01-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Seriously, though—do you think the game is demeaning enough toward women that we guys should consider not buying it? Or is the controversy much ado about nothing? Please comment.

thrAsher
01-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Servo
I don't know wat thrAsher means by boring....
All I meant by that statement is that the game is boring. It induces bouts of nausea as well, intermingled with a sensation much like severe sleep depravation.

I seriously can't see what people get out of this game. The driving is sub-par, fighting and shooting is atrocious. But hey, that's just my opinion. I haven't really tried Vice City, but I can't see what all Rockstar could add to GTA III to make it worth my valuable gaming time.

Sorry I can't help you out w/ your question, though, selowitch. I'd suggest renting it first, and then see what you think. Might just save yourself $50.

George89
01-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Personally for me, I've got the game and I can't believe what all of the fuss is about!

Casper
01-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by selowitch
Seriously, though—do you think the game is demeaning enough toward women that we guys should consider not buying it? Or is the controversy much ado about nothing? Please comment.

If you can watch The Sopranos, Oz, Family Guy, and Simpsons without getting offended, I don't see why this would be a problem. Hell, I'm Italian and love both of these games. Just get it - you're getting 2 great long games for 50 beans...DO IT :)

BinaryXtreme
01-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Ahhhhh, we can only hope my friend. Nothing wrong with some quality offensive material. I can just smell it.

Zion
01-16-2004, 03:13 PM
It's about as offensive as most TV commercials these days. I don't get what the concern is here?

l Maximus l
01-16-2004, 03:21 PM
One thing to take into consideration, in every single game, we all act as a role of something we are not.

When I put in Halo, I'm living in the year 2552 and saving the Universe from the wrath of the Covenant.

When I shove in Amped 2, I'm a pro-snowboarder trying to become the #1 Snowboarder in the world.

When I shove in ESPN Football 2K4, I'm a professional team trying to win the Superbowl.

I'm sure you get my drift here. So, basically, if you may have an urge to want to play a game where you can become a criminal and not become arrested in real life, then, go for it!

But, I'm with thrAsher on this one...I found the game to be pretty redundant and lackluster. Though, I only played it on the PC. Don't get me wrong...I had fun with it...I just can't see myself playing it ever again. But, I would like to add not to get sucked in by controversy and the media.

qbakies
01-16-2004, 03:23 PM
I think the DP is one of the best purchases I made in the last year. I have been playing for a couple of months and it is great! My wife thinks its funny and watches me play. It's just a game, after all.

CRAYMAN
01-16-2004, 03:46 PM
I played many hours of it and it's interesting.
The worst part of the game is the cut scenes which are so awful graphically, it realy takes away from the game.
I also wish that EVERY time I shot someone in the head their head would NOT pop off and the headless body would NOT start shooting streams of blood from the neck.

It's fine, but definitely dated material.

JJaX
01-16-2004, 04:19 PM
I fart in the genral direction of those who think GTA is boring...

Maybe you should try doing the actual missions, and stop using cheat codes. :rolleyes:

GTA sucks you into its world, and I enjoy every second of it.

selowitch
01-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
If you can watch The Sopranos, Oz, Family Guy, and Simpsons without getting offended, I don't see why this would be a problem.

Well, my wife and I both enjoy The Sopranos, although sometimes the violence gets to us a little bit. It's an extremely high-quality show with some wonderful performances, esp. by Tony Sirico, James Gandolfini, and Edie Falco. It makes us laugh but also horrifies us at times—a sure sign of a quality program!

Sometimes the profanity and the gore are a little overwhelming, but since both of those elements serve a dramatic and atmospheric purpose on this particular show, they don't really come across as gratuitous.

That's where the distinction lies for me. If the violence, sex, and foul language actually deepen the experience, then I have less of a problem with them than if they seem to be just thrown in there to garner giggles from teenagers (no offense to the many teens on XBA, but I'm sure you know what I mean).