PDA

View Full Version : MadCatz Ultra AV Kit

stockhorst
01-05-2002, 11:51 AM
I just purchased the MadCatz Ultra A/V kit to enable digital sound - I've had MadCatz before and I was happy about it - and this unit comes with all the cables - including the normally expensive fiber optic digital sound cable.

And it worked - I got sound out of the unit - but when compared to the Microsoft Advanced A/V pack there seems to be a flaw. There are options under Settings to enable Dolby Digital and DTS - when the microsoft unit is attached. Though I get sound - I don't get these options when the MadCatz unit is attached.

Anybody? Anything? Am I going to have to return yet another kit and go back to what I had on Xmas and spend three times as much??

rick

Markus_Kalarkus
01-05-2002, 12:19 PM
im pretty sure you have to enable the the dolby setting when u turn on ur xbox. u know under settings then audio then press dolby digital!:)

stockhorst
01-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the response... It's true there's a Dolby sound selection under Audio settings on the X - but when you plug in a Digital sound capable unit (Microsoft's) you also get two other options after selecting Dolby Surround - you get Dolby Digital and DTS options that you can enable and disable. The Madcatz unit doesn't trigger that setting. The X is supposed to be 'self-aware' when it comes to the audio and video components it's connected to (by way of the interface to those systems).

I'm thinking the video quality isn't quite as good either - but that's tougher to tell. Thanks.

rick

stockhorst
01-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Because Madcatz never did respond to any of my inquiries (And I was never patient enough to get through on the phone) I just found some information on a Future Shop site indicating that Madcatz got the pin-outs wrong on the currently available kits so everything buy Dolby Digital 5.1 is supported. You get what you pay for.

vettemn86
01-09-2002, 09:38 PM
stock:

I also got stuck with the mad catz av pack, and after reading many forum threads on it everyone has pretty much come to the conclusion they were defective. I went out and bought the microsoft av pack and immediately got the dolby digital and dts options afetr clicking on dolby surround in the sound menu. i havent mett anyone yet who has gotten the mad catz set to work