PDA

View Full Version : fast?

ovrkill
01-16-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't know about the neighboors down south, but I am a little worried about the amount of info,details, and the game speed/
density fudging with the xbox's online abilities. We all know the game I am talking about, coming soon. I was online lots with
ghost recon and seemed to have one of the better connections,
and it still froze. Ghost recon doesn't even compare with H2.

J4320
01-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Don't worry about it. Bungie wouldn't want to release a laggy game!:cool:

DocHoliday78
01-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Well if you talking about halo 2 then no, dont worry about it.

PoetSaskia
01-17-2004, 12:09 AM
yes, I thought that's what you meant. I also have my doubts about the capabilities of xbox live. It seems to have a pretty poor track record so far, although I'm going mostly by what I've heard and read. There is one exception though: Crimson Skies. It is almost completely lag free. (Although I have heard some people complain about some different kind of lag, I've never experienced it.) This game has proven it can be done. Hopefully Halo 2 will be like that. Hopefully it will not be like the other games, because they are Bungie.

themoosearmy
01-17-2004, 01:03 AM
One word, Bungie: They are the only developer that I can really say will make a "lag-free" game. Coupled with the fact they go in w/ Microsoft Gaming Studios (a la Crimson skies), I'm not really worried about the Live issues.

BananaMan
01-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by PoetSaskia
yes, I thought that's what you meant. I also have my doubts about the capabilities of xbox live. It seems to have a pretty poor track record so far, although I'm going mostly by what I've heard and read. There is one exception though: Crimson Skies. It is almost completely lag free. (Although I have heard some people complain about some different kind of lag, I've never experienced it.) This game has proven it can be done. Hopefully Halo 2 will be like that. Hopefully it will not be like the other games, because they are Bungie.

Xbox live is fine, it's the n00bs that have just bought the games and go and host 16 player matches. When they can only host about 6-8.

BinaryXtreme
01-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I am 3 months into my 2nd year on Live and I can tell you that the only game that I ever get lag on is Castle Wolfenstein. I have never had any problems with any other game than that one. Even so, I rarely get lag when playing that either. To say that and never to have had Live or even played live is a relatively dumb thing to say don't you think?

Casper
01-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by themoosearmy
One word, Bungie: They are the only developer that I can really say will make a "lag-free" game. Coupled with the fact they go in w/ Microsoft Gaming Studios (a la Crimson skies), I'm not really worried about the Live issues.

How is CS lagfree? That's the reason why I returned it cuz I have one of the best speeds on this site for my cable hookup and I was getting lag on other people's servers - hell, people even got it on my server even though I can always host the max on every other game with no issues.

Nothing that MS touches is absolutely flawless, and neither was Halo - but yet, everyone seems to deem it the perfect game, which it was a great game, one of the best, but nothing is perfect.

Regardless, it'll be very interesting if they are able to pull off the arena style that I have been hearing about with possibly 32, let alone 64. With the way their Voice over IP has been, I don't see them being able to do this without serious network issues, maybe they'll do what GR did with holding a button down to minimize bandwidth use. Some people's connections just can't handle it to host, and some will even have a hard time playing due to ping rate necessities....it will be interesting.

PoetSaskia
01-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme
I am 3 months into my 2nd year on Live and I can tell you that the only game that I ever get lag on is Castle Wolfenstein. I have never had any problems with any other game than that one. Even so, I rarely get lag when playing that either. To say that and never to have had Live or even played live is a relatively dumb thing to say don't you think?
I do have Live. I have tried a few games. The only game I've really gotten into is Crimson Skies. And no, I don't think it's a dumb thing to say. I've read lots of game reviews and talked with people on message boards and heard about lag, lag, lag, so I've saved myself the trouble and frustration of experiencing it first-hand.
And to the guy who said he was experiencing lag on Crimson Skies, that's really strange. In my experience and with just about everyone I've heard from it really is lag-free.

BinaryXtreme
01-17-2004, 05:24 PM
You're wrong. If you subscribed and played I think you would think differently. Nice to hear that you beleive so much from others without experiencing it yourself. I think as a noob that if you want to post in these forums I think you should be ok with hearing from someone with a lot of experience on this issue. By the way, welcome to the forums.

Angell
01-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Ive had Xbox Live for quite some time and Ive played alot of games over several games incliding Mech. Ast. and Crim. Skies and have never had lag in a game. I didnt know that anyone experienced lag on live. I have had problems with it on connect.
Lag is so annoying:mad:

PoetSaskia
01-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme
You're wrong. If you subscribed and played I think you would think differently. Nice to hear that you beleive so much from others without experiencing it yourself. I think as a noob that if you want to post in these forums I think you should be ok with hearing from someone with a lot of experience on this issue. By the way, welcome to the forums.
For goodness sake, I just said I DO have Live, I do subscribe and play. But I'm not going to bother with a game like Wolfenstein, Jedi Academy, or Clone Wars when I've heard over and over again about the lag. And I am not without experience on the issue. I have tried a couple of games myself and found them laggy. On the other hand, Midtown Madness 3 was pretty good and Crimson Skies was great. I don't know why you are misunderstanding me.

BinaryXtreme
01-17-2004, 08:19 PM
I think it depends a lot on your provider as well. What your upload speed is etc. I have 12 games that I play on Live and again, just Wolfenstein gives me lag every once in a while. I don't think it's the game really. I have found Live to be extremely stable for me. Now I apologize to any I may offend but XBC gives me horrible lag even on Rainbow. I kinda have given up on that. I have noticed no matter what people will complain. I love XBOX Live and have been extremely happy with it and cannot imagine gaming without it. Worth every penny to me.

ovrkill
01-18-2004, 09:57 AM
I appreciate all of the feedback. Alot of you have supreme
confidence in bungie's capabilities.
A good point was brought up about halo one not being perfect.
It made me remember when a buddy and I were playing co-op
against legendary difficulty and the game was having a very hard
time keeping up with the action. On some levels, rocks were
dissappearing, enemies would freeze, dissappear,etc. I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but it happened to me consistenly when the action got hairy. I hope that they improve on this dramatically because that was only 2 players. Don't get me wrong, I love halo.