PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1942 Live

Yankeez
01-21-2004, 12:44 AM
EA finally hops on the Live wagon?

January 20, 2004 - As most gamers already know, EA Xbox games up to now have not featured online support for reasons unspecified. The word is that this year, though, EA will be announcing Live support for the next round of sports titles, as well as a number of new titles, including the once-canned Battlefield 1942. In fact, we have reports of an unnamed Microsoft representative in New Zealand who confirmed that Battlefield 1942 will be EA's first Xbox Live game - a nice way to make an entrance, don't you think?

The official statement from an EA representative was: "EA has a strong partnership with MSFT and close to 20 titles in development for the Xbox system. EA and MSFT do not have an agreement for including online capability on our Xbox titles. EA does not have any titles in development that include Xbox Live capability. This includes the Battlefield franchise."
Not the news you probably wanted to hear, but there is the possibility that a deal between Microsoft and EA hasn't been made yet and that the statement is just cleverly worded to allow for such developments. Additionally, the EA representative did say that EA is constantly in talks with Microsoft about online play, and that talks are going quite well. Mixed message? We think so.

EA supporting Xbox Live means a lot for the Xbox. With an arguably better online interface than on the PlayStation 2, Xbox Live with EA games potentially means more gamers playing EA games online, and more gamers shelling out cash for an Xbox. It's a win-win situation, so let's hope we hear something soon. If such an announcement were to be made, expect E3 to be just the place for it.

We'll have more on EA and Xbox Live as it happens.

source (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/473/473868p1.html)

LynxFX
01-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Too little too late. BF1942 is old news.

Maybe if it was the new version, BF Vietnam (?) then that would spark my interest, but if it is the same old BF then forget it.

dances with broom sticks
01-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA

Maybe if it was the new version, BF Vietnam (?) then that would spark my interest, but if it is the same old BF then forget it.

Its ALOT newer than counter strike :p

Sexaya
01-21-2004, 03:39 AM
I am psyched! BF1942 was one of the BEST if not the best ever online games I've ever played. Man, I'd go crazy over this on Live. Just imagine, spawning on the ship and going directly to one of the airplanes, then with a buddy on the tail manning the machinegun...

Wait a minute! HALO 2 anybody? I wonder whose Live experience will be better BF1942 or HALO 2... Bah - it doesn't matter, I'll end up wasting all my time on both anyway.

:cheers:

CharlieHustle
01-21-2004, 05:42 AM
As i said before, i will believe it when i see it. There are no word from MS nor EA. Until they announce it, then ill believe it. Their sports titles i really dont care about, but there are actually other titles i would like to play online.

Koopa
01-21-2004, 08:13 AM
get it on pc.:D

hey sexaya do you have it? i'll play ya sometime:cheers:

i pretty much agree with lynx..unless they redo it like they redid RS3, i'll just save my money for battlefield 'nam.

RudedogX
01-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Twirls finger in excitement

Whoopeee....:rolleyes:

Sorry man, there's a good reason why I just pass by any game that EA makes...and this is it. Screw 'em.

LynxFX
01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by dances with broom sticks

Its ALOT newer than counter strike :p
Touche! :D

DocHoliday78
01-21-2004, 12:45 PM
If i could only play my damn madden online. Espn what? 2k who?

No Fear 23
01-21-2004, 03:14 PM
F EA! they aint getting my money! they had their chance! F EA!

l Maximus l
01-21-2004, 04:39 PM
EA is one stubborn ass company...it's nice to see them humbled by the greatness of XBL. Just think of how much money they have lost as a company by not having their games XBL compatible :rolleyes:

PapaSKooT
01-22-2004, 10:41 AM

Thats what everybody said about GTA 3 + VC... and then it sold a bunch on Xbox :D

LynxFX
01-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by PapaSKooT
Thats what everybody said about GTA 3 + VC... and then it sold a bunch on Xbox :D
But that wasn't a company holding out because they 'didn't like how Microsoft was profiting'. Rockstar would have put it out on the Xbox at the same time if they didn't have that agreement with Sony. Plus 2 games for the price of one helped that. I know if it was just Vice City I wouldn't have bought it.

Now if EA does the smart thing and includes Road to Rome and Secret Weapons as part of the deal then that would lesson the animosity towards them. That at least shows that they are trying, something they haven't done since the Xbox has been released.

What I'm curious about is how Live will handle the game. On the pc I can play a 32 vs 32 game with no lag. Ping is around 65. There are many times when I can't even play a 4 vs 4 game on Live. This has been my biggest complaint of the service since the beta days.

Uchiha Sasuke
01-22-2004, 12:13 PM

But that wasn't a company holding out because they 'didn't like how Microsoft was profiting'. Rockstar would have put it out on the Xbox at the same time if they didn't have that agreement with Sony. Plus 2 games for the price of one helped that. I know if it was just Vice City I wouldn't have bought it.

Now if EA does the smart thing and includes Road to Rome and Secret Weapons as part of the deal then that would lesson the animosity towards them. That at least shows that they are trying, something they haven't done since the Xbox has been released.

What I'm curious about is how Live will handle the game. On the pc I can play a 32 vs 32 game with no lag. Ping is around 65. There are many times when I can't even play a 4 vs 4 game on Live. This has been my biggest complaint of the service since the beta days.

That really gets me too, what is up with this bad latency on a network that is pure broadband. And how will they handle BF1942. The game isn't fun unless you have a whole crap load of people.

BinaryXtreme
01-22-2004, 01:35 PM
I agree with Lynx. Too late for me too. You need to jump on it before the game loses it's luster.

Peepers
01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Great. BF1942 will arrive just in time to be forgetten my the 99% of Xbox Live users who will have Halo 2. Nice move EA, you delayed just long enough to cost yourself a few million sales. Jack offs.

Cryogenic Pyro
01-22-2004, 04:54 PM
If this news is true, it's great, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of Xbox Live anyway. Too many problems with it to have to spend $100 CAD on a starter kit. I do like BF1942 though.

MerimacHamwich
01-22-2004, 07:48 PM
I'll probably get it. :)

But I don't know how much I will play. Battle Field Vietnam will hold my interest on PC much more, most likely.

thatdude222
01-22-2004, 08:25 PM
call me a blasphemer or a traitor if you will, but i would rather play counter-striek multiplayer than halo multiplayer. this may change with halo 2, but counterstrike seems too classic to beat.