PDA

View Full Version : Why the DVD/CD Format???

Salmonaitor
01-21-2004, 09:28 AM
Working in the IT field, I see many forms of Media, many of which, are far better than DVD/CD format. DVD's and CD' scratch and need to be replaced frequently. In addition, Optical media is faulty and can suffer adverse affects in many situations. One of the things I have at my office is Flash Cards. They're making flash cards now with more than 1 gig of memory. They're fast, do not require mechanical parts, are small, and do not scratch. Now I know that flash cards are not necessarily the right kind of media for gaming. But surely they could come up with something comparable, which, could make systems smaller, faster and more reliable. Just my 2 cents.

levelzero
01-21-2004, 09:51 AM
My guess is that the DVD format allows end users to play DVD or CDs on their game system. This gives the system additional usage, as opposed to being 'just a gaming system'. Further, a basic DVD can hold around 4.7 gig of data. I have been reading articles at slashdot about up coming formats of DVD (such as double sided) holding as much as 17 gig. A single gig of flashmedia wouldn't hold Halo.

So, gaming companies are going to use DVD format for two reasons: 1) Size 2) It allow them to market the system as more than just a gaming platform. And even though I have never used my Xbox to play a DVD, I really do appreciate the ability to. I have ripped some MP3s on it.

lotec16
01-21-2004, 11:23 AM
And how much do those 1 gig sticks cost?

No matter how much mass production goes into them, they are going to be expensive because they have to many transistors and stuff, the equipment used to make them are VERY costly. If made out of silicon the raw material alone would make it more than a cd to make.

Cds and DVDs might not be the best buy they are the cheapist.

LynxFX
01-21-2004, 11:48 AM
You also have to remember that the Xbox was being designed and finalized in 1999-2000 timeframe. This is what was available and widely available and the standard. Drives were cheap, easy to manufacture, same with the media.

Next gen will follow suit as well, only it will be the next gen which should start hitting retailers this year (some already available in Japan). Sony will be using their Blu-Ray format. Same form factor as DVD, only it is with a blue laser and has a higher bitrate. Discs can hold 25gig single layer, and 50gig dual. Microsoft hasn't announced what they will be using yet, but one can only hope that it will be inline with Sony. I doubt (and hope) they don't go with Blu-Ray so the only other option would be HD-DVD (formerly AOD). This will be the industry standard for high definition dvd's just like DVD is the current industry standard. Sony is hoping to make a dent with Blu-ray as they try to do with every generation to date. But HD-DVD is the standard, not Blu-ray. HD-DVD has similar specs as Blu-ray, blue laser, high bitrate, but is slightly less in the storage capacity. It is around 17-20gig single layer and 35-40 gig dual.

I don't see any company using a solid state memory system for any type of console anytime soon. It is too expensive, limiting in capacity, and function.

BinaryXtreme
01-21-2004, 01:42 PM
I don't think people want a smaller form of media yet too. They want something they can hold in their hand and feel like they really own something. Society is just not ready for smaller forms yet. Discs are a hell of a lot more sturdy that cassettes though. Most of mine are worn out.

Salmonaitor
01-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by lotec16
And how much do those 1 gig sticks cost?

No matter how much mass production goes into them, they are going to be expensive because they have to many transistors and stuff, the equipment used to make them are VERY costly. If made out of silicon the raw material alone would make it more than a cd to make.

Cds and DVDs might not be the best buy they are the cheapist.
Excellent point! I know it's a popular form of media (DVD/CD), but I just can't help but wonder what the next generation of media might be. There just has to be something they can do which isn't so easily damaged, and is faster than optical media. All I'm saying, is there are more efficient ways to bring media to your system.

NeosNightmare
01-21-2004, 06:53 PM
i kinda agree with binary. hes got a point with the fact that the public as a whole isnt really redy for a micro sized media format. i rather have a non scratchable like cartridge thing personally.

lotec16
01-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme
I don't think people want a smaller form of media yet too. They want something they can hold in their hand and feel like they really own something. Society is just not ready for smaller forms yet. Discs are a hell of a lot more sturdy that cassettes though. Most of mine are worn out.

I concur.

Maybe they will skip stuff like that and go straight to downloads.

themoosearmy
01-22-2004, 01:49 AM
The reason they put games on CD/DVDs is because they are recognizable to the public (everyone can use a CD, even idiots most of the time), VERY cheap to make, and can support multiple media types (games, music, movies). If they eventually do go to a micro-cartridge, its going to have to be able to hold a lot of info, and the more it holds, they more it costs. Retail flash cards that could potentially hold a game the size of Halo creep towards the >$100 range, a DVD/CD that size prolly around <$20 (very relative numbers, too lazy to go price anything.

Small cards will be the doom of all of us, I have enough trouble keeping track of CDs let alone a tiny little cartridge...now where did that little b*st*rd cart. go to, i swear it was just in my pocketses...

l Maximus l
01-22-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by lotec16

I concur.

Maybe they will skip stuff like that and go straight to downloads.

I really like the idea of downloads, personally. Just have a huge hard-drive and download games on-line.

One of the basic reasons why I think we should get replace DVD/CDs is the fact that electronic appliances (such as game consoles, DVD players, CD players, etc) are utilizing moving parts. I think the way of the future is to rid the concept of moving parts and just do downloads.

I realize that we are still premature as a society regarding downloading content as a whole, but, every day that goes by, more and more people are jumping on the broadband bandwagon...no pun intended ;)

Salmonaitor
01-22-2004, 10:23 AM
I love the Idea of downloads, the only thing is, that broadband does not have the coverage yet. Think about how many games you might purchase again because it got damaged. That's probobly one of the answers right there why they continue with optical media. If my Halo, RS3, Halo2 (when it comes out in mid-march ;)), Amped or KOTOR got scratched and was rendered unusable, I would replace them in a heartbeat. Why did the DAT tape never catch on, it was better than CD in sound quality, but it's probobly not "disposable enough.

Slacker
01-22-2004, 01:01 PM
I miss Cartridges, or "carts" as some people call them , I have ALOT of game systems and what I like about the Cart system is they are easy to fix, and to clean, I have Cart games from the 70's that work great I have some CD games from the 90's that don't because they are to scratched , and I don't have the high end disc restore system , I love Carts because there is no load time , but i do like the fact My Xbox can play Cd's and DVD's , and I know Carts would be WAY to expensive to produce,, my two cents

l Maximus l
01-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Slacker
I miss Cartridges, or &quot;carts&quot; as some people call them , I have ALOT of game systems and what I like about the Cart system is they are easy to fix, and to clean, I have Cart games from the 70's that work great I have some CD games from the 90's that don't because they are to scratched , and I don't have the high end disc restore system , I love Carts because there is no load time , but i do like the fact My Xbox can play Cd's and DVD's , and I know Carts would be WAY to expensive to produce,, my two cents

Ah yes...the good old cartridges...the thing what I liked about those, as you mentioned, was no loading times. The huge disadvantage with them is that they are not digital, therefore, cannot produce digital picture or sound like DVDs and CDs. Being an owner of an HDTV and 5.1 DD SS system, I need my digital! :D

It was good yesterday, however, today, it's not as appealing. I'll take load times over analogue any day :)