PDA

View Full Version : Mouse and Keyboard or Console Controller?

Salmonaitor
01-21-2004, 10:26 AM
This guy in my office is a HARDCORE PC gamer. He swears that mouse and keyboard are the best and most accurate interface ever and cannot be touched by console game controllers. Any of you PC gamers/Console gamers out there, I would love to hear your opinion on this.

BTW, I tried PC gaming for a little while, I just couldn't get used to mouse and keyboard.

Chewy
01-21-2004, 10:39 AM
In my opinion there is no comparison. Mouse and keyboard all the way. But that is only because I have been using a mouse and keyboard combo since Quake 1. I am sure that people who have been using the console controllers for a long time will become quite good with them. It is all in what you are used to. I just find that I don't have the fine control with the console controller that I do with a mouse and keyboard. I just can't move the crosshairs just a bit, I oversteer all the time.

Just my 2 cents.
Chewy

lotec16
01-21-2004, 11:18 AM
I think my accuracy is about the same on both, the pc aiming doens't have as large of a learning curve. But with a pc I find it hard to jump, move, look, and shoot all at the same time, it's much easier on the xbox controller.

Zion
01-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Console controller, no question.

You can't lay on the couch with a mouse and keyboard.

Mouse and keyboard blows for any racing or sports games.

Mouse and keyboard are made for computers, not gaming consoles.

BinaryXtreme
01-21-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm an old school gamer and I've never felt comfortable with the mouse and keyboard. I have a *****en' pc and wish I could feel comfortable with it but I hate it. Makes my hands hurt like hell and as for accuracy, give me a break. I see no difference in accuracy between the 2. I build my own systems and for me to beleive that, someone needs to explain some dynamics that I have never been able to see.

Raiko
01-21-2004, 04:59 PM
For shooters, I find a mouse to be more accurate since it's point and click. I enjoy gaming with controllers more though, and most games on consoles have a tad of autoaim anyway to compensate swinging around the targets a bit. Beat em ups and adventures -> Console pad.

Salmonaitor
01-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I know this thread should probobly stay dead, but I wanted to revive it one last time for a little more input. It's just hard to make a debate on something that you have no evidence for. I'm just looking for a few more unbiased opinions. Thanks.

JJaX
01-23-2004, 11:02 AM
I think the issue in debate here is control, not where you sit and the size of your TV.

With mouse + keyboard you are MUCH more effcient and accurate.

The fact that people compare a controller to a M+K sickens me.

And anyone with skills on any PC FPS game will agree 110%.

Salmonaitor
01-23-2004, 11:09 AM
When I play Halo PC, my aim is great, but my agility leave a little to be desired (especially in a ghost ot banshee).

Donnie_B
01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Why not get an adaptor that allows you to hook your XBox controller to your PC. Cost $25-35 CDN (I think) Then you can do either. I prefer the consol and controller myself so that is what I would do. I dont use the PC for many games.

Also, you can get an adaptor to hook your XBox to a computer monitor. This will give you an excellent picture and access to your computer's sound system (if its any good). Cost $75.00 CDN

:cheers:

Brasco

JJaX
01-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Donnie_B
Why not get an adaptor that allows you to hook your XBox controller to your PC. Cost $25-35 CDN (I think) Then you can do either. I prefer the consol and controller myself so that is what I would do. I dont use the PC for many games.

Also, you can get an adaptor to hook your XBox to a computer monitor. This will give you an excellent picture and access to your computer's sound system (if its any good). Cost $75.00 CDN

:cheers:

Brasco

Yeah thats a great idea!

If you wanna get raped in the PC gaming world.

TrueBelieverUK*
01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
i think it depends what you want, FPS's are best on pc, mouse aiming is SOOOOOOO much easier. but other games are better on consoles for controls, i prefer gta on XBOX anyday!

Ethereal S. D.
01-23-2004, 12:38 PM
I think that it really depends on the genre of video game you're playing. But I believe that the Mouse/keyboard combination is the most versatile and customizable of the two control imput devices. Like, if you had a good FPS game, you can have more options binded to keys just at your fingertips (I personally like the WASD config) But on consoles, it's basically a pick-up-and-play type deal. You can't eat pizza and play on the computer now can you? hehe :D

Cryogenic Pyro
01-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Mouse and Keyboard is much more versatile than any controller. For FPSes on the PC, there's no question. Mouse and Keyboard. Hell, I just like the mouse and keyboard better anytime. If they made a nice keybord with less buttons, and a nice feel made especially for gaming, that would be awesome.

JJaX
01-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro
Mouse and Keyboard is much more versatile than any controller. For FPSes on the PC, there's no question. Mouse and Keyboard. Hell, I just like the mouse and keyboard better anytime. If they made a nice keybord with less buttons, and a nice feel made especially for gaming, that would be awesome.

Im pretty sure they did make a device like this.

*edit*

Heres something like it

http://www.technicalgeek.com/Hardware/cross/zbrd.htm

Conchord
01-23-2004, 01:05 PM
PC shooters are easier to aim in because the mouse has a single, rotating, full 360 degree aiming precision tool, and controllers (with the exception of the N64 controller) use two analog sticks to coordinate aiming. I think that mouse and keyboard controls are better, but that doesn't mean controllers are ****. I think I would rather be awesome with a controller than awesome with a keyboard/mouse, because learning is a lot harder.

TheCovenant
01-23-2004, 02:21 PM
hmm i dont think theres much of a difference. i remember back in the days of quake 3, people used to own with sega controllers.

Jjax, your overstepping it a bit. Ive been playing Pc games since castlewolfenstein too, and i dont see this HUGE advantage over a controller. The only difference is that fighting games compliment the controllers very well, and rts do the same witha mouse and keyboard.

If youve seen some of the guys on UC, some of the amazing reflexes they have and accuracy, i cant tell the difference between that and a pc game. the action is just as intense.

I personally voted controllers, because im a big fightimg game fan.
BUt in reality, if you forget that your controlling your character, like if you just instinctivly know where all the buttons are and the sensitivity is at, then it doesnt m atter. Just game on!:cheers:

JJaX
01-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
hmm i dont think theres much of a difference. i remember back in the days of quake 3, people used to own with sega controllers.

Jjax, your overstepping it a bit. Ive been playing Pc games since castlewolfenstein too, and i dont see this HUGE advantage over a controller. The only difference is that fighting games compliment the controllers very well, and rts do the same witha mouse and keyboard.

If youve seen some of the guys on UC, some of the amazing reflexes they have and accuracy, i cant tell the difference between that and a pc game. the action is just as intense.

Yeah my comments were steared towards FPS games.

People owning with a Sega controller? Owning some noobs maybe, but someone with skills? I doubt it...

Another advantage with the K+M is weapon binding. Anyone whos anyone in a FPS game is able to switch to the most efficient weapon for that situation. Not scrolling through menus to get to the right gun. Yes milliseconds count...

Maybe i play my PC FPS on a whole different level than you. Come see me in UT if you doubt me.

JJaX
01-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Think of it this way...

Most FPS games require quick aiming. With a mouse, all your really doing is aiming with the mouse. Kinda like navigating through a GUI like windows.

Make sense? Moving on....

Now can you honestly say you could navigate windows faster and with more accuracy with a controller?

This i gotta see...

But whatever, its pointless to argue. Im in a console forum with my back against the wall...

Where are the other skilled PC FPS players on these boards?

l Maximus l
01-23-2004, 03:32 PM
The M & K are completely unnatural to me...I've primarily been a console gamer most of my life. I'd say 90% console and 10% PC is my ratio.

I can see aiming being better, however, maneuvering and such would seem more difficult. Scrolling through weapons would be much better on a PC...there's no question, however, a game like Halo, for example, I wouldn't say that there would be an advantage there since you can only carry two weapons and grenades are at your disposal on your secondary trigger (left trigger for those that are Halo n00bs).

I just prefer the controller and am glad that MS won't break down and release a keyboard...I like an even playing field...especially playing on-line.

Shizzle rizzle dizzle...yo! :huh:

Conchord
01-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
your secondary trigger (left trigger for those that are Halo n00bs

Your words fall on deaf ears.

JJaX
01-23-2004, 03:44 PM
The M & K are completely unnatural to me...I've primarily been a console gamer most of my life. I'd say 90% console and 10% PC is my ratio.

I can see aiming being better, however, maneuvering and such would seem more difficult.

For you....

I can navigate a map while doing 180s at the flick of the wrist with a mouse and keyboard

l Maximus l
01-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

For you....

I can navigate a map while doing 180s at the flick of the wrist with a mouse and keyboard

Oh, I'm sure...there's no question...I just haven't had nearly as much practice. That's all it is, really...it's like getting a new controller for a console, too... It take a little getting used to.

I would get Halo PC if my machine was powerful enough. My computer only has a 600 mhz processor :eek:

Conchord
01-23-2004, 03:52 PM

Oh, I'm sure...there's no question...I just haven't had nearly as much practice. That's all it is, really...it's like getting a new controller for a console, too... It take a little getting used to.

I would get Halo PC if my machine was powerful enough. My computer only has a 600 mhz processor :eek:

I tried playing Ghost Recon on my old PC that had about 8 mb RAM....lol i couldnt play solitare or my PC would implode...

But id have to stick with mouse...physics can prove that the tiny spheric mouse ball is much easier and faster than two rotating analog sticks...and im failing physics!

besides, zooming in and out with the middle scroll-wheel is a lot easier than tapping a button, and the difference between running and walking is simply holding down the right mouse button.

DocHoliday78
01-23-2004, 06:28 PM
If its any type of shooter or rpg game then i go with mouse and keyboard. The rest is pure console controller man. Sports games are unplayable with a keyboard.

MaxPain
01-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78
If its any type of shooter or rpg game then i go with mouse and keyboard. The rest is pure console controller man. Sports games are unplayable with a keyboard.

yeah.. any shooter game feels wierd using a JOYSTICK? eww.. mouse and keyboard r best.. since ive been playing fps's using wasd + mouse ...

controller for sports + other games tho...

themoosearmy
01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
For FPS/RPG/RTS:
Mouse and Keyboard. Simply, the mouse is quicker and more accurate than the controller. Like Jjax said: "180s at the flick of a wrist."

Sports/Fighting/Adventure:
Controller, you need to have all teh buttons together for quick and easy firing.

If you play w/ a controller online(PC) versus some seasoned FPS players that use M+K, you are going to get owned, like a corvette to a cavalier, its just faster(well maybe not that much faster. Personally, I turn my sensitivity WAY up when I play FPS on XBOX.