PDA

View Full Version : Baldur Gate 1 vs 2 vs LOTR:ROTK

Dutch_72
01-21-2004, 11:30 PM
I am looking for a fun game to play with a friend and have been looking at Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2, and Return of the King. Does ROTK have any role playing elements such as weapon and gear upgrades? How does BG1 compare to the sequal? Should I just snag the first one since it is cheap or does the sequal add features that make it significanltly better?

Any other game suggestions in the similar veins?

Thanks in advance!

MerimacHamwich
01-22-2004, 01:13 AM
Have Baldurs Gate 1 and love it.

I personally think the LOTR games are a travesty. Mostly becuase they make no sense pertaining to the movies/books during gameplay.

themoosearmy
01-22-2004, 01:54 AM
If you totally ignore the fact that the LotR games ignore the story, you will love them (which I had a hard time doing), but Baldurs Gate is a tried and true classic, at least for the comp.

Slap A Pope
01-22-2004, 10:55 AM
The main problem with Baldurs Gate 1 was its lenght. I finished it at around six hours and a half in one-player. But since you could probably pick it up now for $15.00, its worth it. As for the second one I'm waiting till a price drop, before I buy it. However from what I know the LOTR games are just as short. And since they're mostly just hack n slash without any RPG elements, I'd go with Baldurs Gate .

kenji
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, I know for a fact that Baldur's gate 1 is 2 player, so if you have more than 2 friends over at once, no go on any of those. If you are set on only those 3 games, I'd go with Baldur's Gate 1.

I also suggest Dynasty Warriors 4 for 2 people, D&D Heros for 1-4, and good old fashoin Halo never hurt.

jhsu
01-22-2004, 08:16 PM
you mean Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance one and 2, not Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn correct?

if it's the former, BG Dark Alliance is great fun and is only 15 bucks nowadays, so I'd pick that up, followed by Return of the King(great but really hard hack and slash).

FragMaster B
01-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Just picked up BG:DA 2. Seems as solid at the first with a few nice additions. Again, I've heard it's too short tho... I'm only an hour into it so I can't confirm that. But, as far as co-op games go, both Baldur's games are sure bets IMO. My favs at least. Just the right amount of action vs. char customization for my tastes.

If you haven't played the first one yet (sounds like you haven't), get that. At $15 you can't go wrong. And, v2 doesn't add so much more that you're missing out on anything HUGE by playing v1 first IMO.

I'm only an hour into v2 so far, but at this point, I think I even like v1 a little better. That may change as I get more into v2.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.