PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

Spartan
01-06-2002, 01:45 PM
I need to know what broadband is and how to get it. I have aol and i dont think it has broadband. help please

XBOX Dude
01-06-2002, 01:54 PM
ok let's see if can explain this, broadband uses higher frequencys then your normal telephone this not only let's you use your telephone while your online but gives you a faster connection, but you also need to buy a broadband modem"most installations are for free" and then a monthly fee of around 50$. I think aol does have broad band but you have to check if it's in your area there are many other broad band providers like direct tv, you just have to look around. the thing is say you have a 56k and for the hell of it let's say it goes at 20kb a sec with broadband depending on what type it could be 750kb to 1.5 mb "i think"

Spartan
01-06-2002, 02:01 PM
what is a broadband modem

XBOX Dude
01-06-2002, 02:09 PM
well it's like a 56k modem you need it to use the internet with broadband cause broadband doesn't work the same as a 56k does

Kay9
01-07-2002, 01:18 PM
:D HAHAHAHAHA...750 to 1.5mb LOL....

I my dear boys have a 10mbit connection...I won't have NOOOOO LAG for online (I HOPE)...altho my awsome connection comes at a price (no ...not the monthly fee...thats cheap like **** $25/month) I'm gonna be getting the Xbox in march...4 months after u guyz...o well...I have my connection to help ease the pain

l Maximus l
01-07-2002, 01:24 PM
Spartan...I have AT&T Broadband Internet. There is a Cable modem that they provide (usually one made by 3Com...atleast mine is) and it is simply a modem that powers the faster internent connectivity. If you get cable internet, go with AT&T broadband...it's widely used and is probably the most popular when it comes to home access.

Personally, I prefer my DSL that I have at work over my AT&T Broadband cable at home. Probably because I have minimal issues with it.

JAC
01-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Like Max, I'm also using AT&T's Cable service as my ISP. This costs me about $40 a month. It averages an uptime of about 98% or so (disregarding the time excite did it's little bankrupt deal). It's a very good bargain for me, because I split that connection between 2 computers in my house and now also the Xbox by using a Linksys router (I've never regretted that purchase!), and there's never a real sign of slow response.

Hugh_Jass
01-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Kay9
:D HAHAHAHAHA...750 to 1.5mb LOL....

I my dear boys have a 10mbit connection...I won't have NOOOOO LAG for online (I HOPE)...altho my awsome connection comes at a price (no ...not the monthly fee...thats cheap like **** $25/month) I'm gonna be getting the Xbox in march...4 months after u guyz...o well...I have my connection to help ease the pain

You do know the difference between a 10mbs Ethernet card and your Internet connection speed, right? I've got a 100mbs Ethernet card in my PC but it doesn't mean I connect to the Internet at 100mbs. Almost nobody has 10mbs coming to their home because it would cost about $5000 per month plus a $1500 installation fee.

Even if you're a student and live on campus you might have access to a fractional T3 line in a dorm but it would be shared with every other student on campus.

cdg5551
11-04-2006, 10:16 PM
how do you not know what broadband is
??????????????

cdg5551
11-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Suck On My Chocolate Salty Ball$!

Reclaimer
11-05-2006, 01:44 AM
You dumbass, this thread is almost 4 years old. What's the point in dredging up an ancient topic? You can't find something recent to talk about?

Of all the things you can talk about, of all the topics in progress here, you have to be a genius and find an old thread where 3 people, including the author of the thread aren't even active members here.

DaWebbmeister
11-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Man, the kids a jack*ss! I've only been here a while and he's pulled up two thread that I've seen from over 2 years old! How is he not banned already?