PDA

View Full Version : XIII Single Player : Impressive?

thrAsher
02-01-2004, 01:38 PM
I think so. I'm really enjoying the game so far, and while the AI might not be more 'A' than 'I', the game has really delivered. I'm not so impressed w/ the XBL side of the coin. I've yet to have a completely lag-free game, but again haven't played it that much.

I'm not that far along, I've just rescued General Carrington. It's the little things so far that have impressed me. SPADS yelling 'Oh sh**!" and the conversations you overhear ( "Jake, shut it!" ) are great. The graphics are really nice, too, and would have been awe-inspiring had it been and Xbox exclusive IMO. Being able to thwack a dude over the head w/ a bottle, a chair, or to huck a broken piece of glass like a chinese star just adds to the fun. The grappling hook and the crossbow are nice additions, too. I find I take a little extra time w/ the crossbow, because I like to pop those suckers right between the eyes. :wink:

I have to say, I was skeptical at first, but the further along I get, the more addicted I've become, and truly want to play it to see the story unfold.

Anybody else loving this game?

Sellout Theory
02-01-2004, 02:29 PM
I havnt played the game yet. I was having diff thoughts on it though, didnt know if It would be worth my time or not. I was going to rent it last night but I didnt. I think its next on my list to rent.

Sleazy P Martini
02-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Yes!! I am loving this game. A great change of pace from the ordinary FPS.

I would elaborate, but I'm at work and in between calls. :cry:

BIGHARV
02-01-2004, 02:37 PM
ya man this game is truly one of the best fps I've seen in a while. I wasn't to sure that the whole cell-shading was gonna work ...but fortunatly it turned out great. I beat this game in 3 days and let me tell you the story gets getting better and better.
For some reason this game reminded me a lot of golden eye on the N64. . Don't know why??? WEIRD? I've played it on xbconnnect and it's a blast and best of all LAG FREE. Anyone having doubts about this game should forget everything they've heard and just pick this truly amazing game up.

thrAsher
02-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Man! All I have to say is, a hallmark of a great FPS is having a stage/checkpoint that is so much fun (ie: lots of stuff to shoot and ways to go about it) that you don't care if you die. You WANT to play it over and over and over...

I'm at one those stages, now. Guys coming at me from every angle, through windows and bumrushing this building I'm holed up in.

I also love how the story is spoon fed to you in flashbacks...a tiny bit here, a little bit there. Great, great stuff. Can't believe I've heard some of the language I've heard, but it's too freaking funny! And they did a great job of keeping each level fresh and interesting, both in design as well as content/objectives.

And for those of you who've played the single player...how 'bout the snowman bit? :rofl:

Sleazy P Martini
02-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by thrAsher-XBA
And for those of you who've played the single player...how 'bout the snowman bit? :rofl:

:rofl: I thought that was great. I really liked Adam West's voice acting as well.

So Thrash......we have to get a game on live sometime.

ultra-electro
02-12-2004, 04:55 PM
yeah, XIII is an excellent game. when you get to the end you'll be sad its over. Its got a "to be continued" at the end with a cliffhanger.

Definately reminds me of Goldeneye for N64 tho. Especially at the VERY end. Classic.

Leviathon
02-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by ultra-electro
yeah, XIII is an excellent game. when you get to the end you'll be sad its over. Its got a "to be continued" at the end with a cliffhanger.

Definately reminds me of Goldeneye for N64 tho. Especially at the VERY end. Classic.

Well, that ruined it for me....

Thanks...:rolleyes:

Hard Boiled Cop
02-22-2004, 11:19 AM
No spoilers guys some people here haven't played it yet. So when is the sequel due out? lol

whirlwind
09-01-2004, 04:43 AM
About that hook... How do you use it? The woman gives it to me but whatever buttons I press, I don't seem to be able to throw the hook over the pole-thing sticking out of the building... :-S

SoundX
09-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Finished it off a little over a year ago. I can't remember the storyline now but I remember it having a very good plot to it. The game itself was very enjoyable, but a bit to arcade like in my eyes.

They pulled of the comic style gameplay in it really well and the enviroments and graphics were brilliant. That hookshot was fun too.

Xbox Live multiplayer seemed quite laggy when I tried it out at my mates too, but a couple of months ago we had a system link game and it was alot of fun. The bots are actualy quite smart and don't just run right into you and start shooting. Making for a pretty cool tactical extra for me and my friend.

Oh and whirlwind, you need to make sure that your in a good position and a little icon appears when you target the pole. And watch out for snipers when you get up there.

LTM360
09-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Yay, love seeing a newb revive a thread from 7 months ago! ... bastage! :cuss:

Duke
09-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Yay, love seeing a newb revive a thread from 7 months ago! ... bastage! :cuss:

Heh, I thought the same thing, but at least he had a question. It's a lot worse when people bump just to bump.

And he's right, just wait for the icon to appear. I can't remember, but I don't think it appears unless you are in range. Even if it does, and doesn't hook, just move to higher ground.