PDA

View Full Version : Progressive scan

absolut48
01-07-2002, 09:07 AM
I just read in XBOX magazine that MS will be able to upgrade the DVD drivers to support progressive scan for movie playback. Is this possible without a hardware upgrade? January issue on page 100.

DBXNY
01-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by absolut48
I just read in XBOX magazine that MS will be able to upgrade the DVD drivers to support progressive scan for movie playback. Is this possible without a hardware upgrade? January issue on page 100.

It's probably possible, but I wouldn't expect it to happen. The X-box is fully capable of outputting progressive-scan DVD. The problem is licensing issues. For MS to comply with the DVD consortium, they also have to output Macrovision protection with the progressive-scan output. The Macrovision, however, won't work with progressive-scan output for the games. MS, could, however, decide to disregard the DVD consortium and provide the Macrovision free 480p output, but they would incur heafty charges usually passed on to the consumers. (i.e., it could put the X-box system in the price cateogory of boutique DVD players - around $3000)

Rmag
01-07-2002, 10:37 AM
I don't have the current copy of OXM in front of me (the Lord of the Rings on the cover). If you go to one of the last few pages of the magazine in their comments at the very bottom of the page in small text, they print that they were wrong about Microsoft possibly upgrading the DVD to Progressive, that MS said that will not happen.

Ninja Scroll
01-07-2002, 10:44 AM
dont hold your breath junior, cause it aint gonna happen!:(

DOOM
01-07-2002, 10:53 AM
It Just Might Man, Be Patient...
Many People Were Disapointed To Hear that this Feture was Included In DVD Playback.
(Though The Games Do Play In P-Scann NOW) I Spoke To J. Allard At XBOX Unleashed In N.Y.C..
He Said that M$ Was Aware Of This, SMILED & Said WATE & See!
P-Scann Was Not Included Becouse Of Sertan Lesencing & Patent Isseus Which Could Not Be Settled Be For XBOX's Launch...