PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 Anamorphic Games?

idloveaguinness
01-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Howdy all.

I have a 4:3 Panasonic Tau HDTV with anamorphic detection. I am using the HDTV pac. The game menu's ARE displayed in 16:9, but my two games (Halo and Gotham) are not.

I was wondering:

Does anyone know of or have these or other games that will display in 16:9?

Are ANY of the games anamorphic?

Thanks.....

Rmag
01-07-2002, 10:34 AM
The only 2 games released thus far that support 16:9 native is DOA3 and Madden 2002.

Ninja Scroll
01-07-2002, 10:48 AM
he's right! But it would have been cool as hell if Halo supported this feature!
Wait a minute,........ I dont even own one of these TV's so oh well.
Now I feel much better!:D

idloveaguinness
01-07-2002, 10:53 AM
I'm going out tonite to get DOA then.........thanks for the info.

I'm a techno gadget freak, and anything that will make my HT that much more fun is worth it.

BTW - I am completely FLOORED playing Halo with my setup:

With that sub, I can make my remote conltrol dance on my coffee table with the toss of a hand grenade.......

Msterrrr
01-07-2002, 11:18 AM
i just got that same exact tv last week:D it kicks ass

deadly acrucate with a pistol now playing halo online

i was told nascar thunder was 16:9 also but ive looked and cant find any new settings for it

Msterrrr
01-07-2002, 11:19 AM
its a heavy s.o.b too aint it

Hugh_Jass
01-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by idloveaguinness
Howdy all.

I have a 4:3 Panasonic Tau HDTV with anamorphic detection. I am using the HDTV pac. The game menu's ARE displayed in 16:9, but my two games (Halo and Gotham) are not.

I was wondering:

Does anyone know of or have these or other games that will display in 16:9?

Are ANY of the games anamorphic?

Thanks.....

I think you're getting 1080i and 720p confused with anamorphic. Anamorphic compression is used on DVD to utilize the space ordinarily occupied by black bars in a native 4x3 format, thus resulting in higher resolution.

The XBOX is capable of native HDTV resolution so anamorphic presentation is not necessary. I don't think any games currently available make use of 1080i or 720p. Apparantly, some games do offer letterbox but I've never tried it myself.

idloveaguinness
01-07-2002, 11:33 AM
The weignt of that thing should be illegal. It took 3 full grown men to hoist that thing gently up into position (see attachment above if you didn't already).

Now, when I want to hook up new components (the XBOX, for example), and since I can't easily slide the thing around, I have to use mirrors to find the inputs........

but - it's WORTH IT!!!!!!!!

Do you have any of the "pin-cushion" screen effects that some complain of? I have a VERY slight "wave" at the bottom left corner, but you can't tell unless there's a marquois running.....

Msterrrr
01-07-2002, 11:48 AM
while watching football over the weekend i noticed some but im thinking it s my cable service causing this
I also got the monster cable HDTV pack... while playing a dvd w/ the xbox i cant image a better pic,, crystal clear !!! i have dave mathews dvd in right now,,perfect

makes being snowed in today a little better

ohh yeah my tv stand has wheels thank god just roll it out hookem up.. but damm 200 lbs for a tv ,, im moving soon arghhhh thought of picking it up again,,,

:mad: ackkkkkk

Hugh_Jass
01-07-2002, 11:59 AM
If you think that's heavy you should try moving pinball machines or arcade games. They weigh in the neighborhood of 400 pounds. I had to bring all my machines down the stairs to the basement in our old house by myself. My strategy was to get them started sliding and then do my best to control the fall. :)

idloveaguinness
01-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Did your Huge JA$$ help, or get in the way?

LynxFX
01-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Games so far that are confirmed to be 16x9 enhanced (although most never mention it in the manual or on any game site including microsofts)

Amped
Azurik
DOA3
F1 2001
Madden 2002
Nascar Heat
Nascar Thunder
SSX Tricky

All of these games are producing an image of 720x480 instead of 640x480 so you are getting more on screen image to the left and right. However some games might be letterboxing or matting a 4x3 image to make it look like 16x9. I only have two of the above listed, Amped and DOA3 and both are true 16x9.

Msterrrr
01-07-2002, 06:46 PM
lol funny stuff ((__)_#))

skoot182
01-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Sweet setup...

BUT...

Originally posted by idloveaguinness
Did your Huge JA$$ help, or get in the way?

BAAAAAAAAAD Joke :D

idloveaguinness
01-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Thanks and .......LOL

:p

Thanks too, Lynx......good info.

clintb
01-08-2002, 09:56 AM
FYI: Good link describing Anamorphic video.
http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

What's somewhat confusing is that I've got a Pioneer Pro510HD, which is a 53" HDTV. When it senses a progressive signal, ala 480p, from either the XBOX or a DVD player it's supposed to lock into the "Full" mode. If Halo isn't 16:9, then it should look different than DOA3, but it looks the same with respect to size.

Is the XBOX stretching what would be 4:3 for Halo and then outputting the signal as 480p? It would make sense because the XBOX knows what aspect ratio your TV is.

LynxFX
01-08-2002, 12:22 PM
If in the dashboard you have the screen set to widescreen then the xbox stretches the picture if it is a 4x3 game or presents it in the correct aspect ratio if it is a 16x9 game.

I think for you, clintb, to see Halo correctly you would need to change the dashboard to fullscreen, or normal. Then the xbox should output keeping the correct 4x3 ratio of Halo and if it still stretches then it is your tv doing the stretching.

That is how I believe it works. I must say that Halo does look good even stretched.

Hugh_Jass
01-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Unless you're looking for it you probably won't notice a difference.
When 4x3 is converted to 16x9 the top and bottom of the screen are slightly cropped and the width of the picture is stretched a bit.

To be honest, I watch all 4x3 programs stretched on my 16x9 set in the living room. I do notice it and it does bother me but I don't want the 4x3 side-bars burned into my 16x9 set.